Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many times do competitors reload their 9mm cases?

85win

15 hours ago, 4n2t0 said:

A gazillion times or when they split. I also shoot split cases one last time if they slip past my initial QC 🤯.

Not yup.  Too much chance of setback in a split case from the bullet hitting the ramp.  Best case the gun jams.  Worst case you have a blowout.  Had it happen to me twice because I didn't catch the split case and it do go into the chamber checker.  Not fun.  That's why I'm more conservative now.

Edited by zzt

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, zzt said:

Not yup.  Too much chance of setback in a split case from the bullet hitting the ramp.  Best case the gun jams.  Worst case you have a blowout.  Had it happen to me twice because I didn't catch the split case and it do go into the chamber checker.  Not fun.  That's why I'm more conservative now.

None of that has ever happened to me in the many (and I mean many) split cases I've fired on purpose. To be honest I'm not even sure how that would even happen but to each their own I guess.

Edited by 4n2t0

On 10/26/2020 at 9:34 PM, 85win said:

I read somewhere that competition shooters only use their brass for two firings.  Is this because of accuracy issues? 

Whoever told you that doesn't know what he's talking about.  You can ignore him.

Define accuracy.  For what we do, the number of times brass is reused has no effect on accuracy and life is limited only by when the case splits or is lost, whichever comes first..  I have precision rifle cases (308 Winchester) with over ten reloads through them.

On 10/26/2020 at 9:34 PM, 85win said:

Does anybody know how many accurate reloadings you can get from 9mm cases?

The number of case uses may vary by sport, for USPSA or action pistol sports, it is generally as many times as the case can be loaded before it splits or the primer pocket is worn out and won’t hold a primer. Accuracy is not effected by using the case several times in this scenario. Case gauge will help find split cases, also they make a distinct noise compared to others before being loaded, making them easier to locate.

• 2 months later...

In my open gun,  mixed brass and shoot it as long as it passes a hundo gauge.  With Revolver (yes they still exist), Winchester Cases Only and I’m a bit pickier as a split case there causes some big headaches..  I have a spare cylinder I check all my loaded up clips with...

Weird.  My 929 takes everything including split cases.  I use blazer only.

I did get rid of the 7k I reloaded 10x for no other reason I built a stash of 24k from an indoor range i shoot at.  Lots of newbs there.  Did take a while.

26 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

Do you have issues with primer pockets getting loose in 9 Major reusing brass that many times?

Every great once in awhile I will feel on my 650 that a primer had little to no resistance so I’ll put it in practice bucket. But it’s rare. I generally lose brass before it goes bad.

At matches, it's almost impossible to get back all of your original cases without missing some, losing some and getting others mixed in.  I pick up what I can.  Check them for steel cases, then I load them until I feel an issue with the primer (Yes. I've loaded enough to know what it should feel like) or the cases split.  I will also give the case and look over.  If anything looks strange or I have a bad feeling, I just dump the case.