Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2020 Racegun Nationals Feedback

Whoops!

Remember my PCC feedback thread?  Well here you go, for all those looking for more info.

Pros:

Great competition.  With as many high end competitors as were running - you had to keep an 80+ % average finish on every stage if you wanted to make super squad.  To do that, you had to be able to nail 25 yard poppers consistently and without delay.  You also had to be moving and shooting every time the movement gained you anything - regardless of target distance or size.

Complicated but consistent stages - blending all commonly used USPSA skills.

Consistency is the name of the game -  it’s what makes a sport a sport.  This match made USPSA feel like a sport and not a crazy idea.

They fixed the stage design issues of the PCC Nationals.  There weren’t any long swingers.  The stage with the structure was used again but this time competitors only shot in from one angle - an angle which I *think* wouldn’t cause a full blind issue with glare regardless of where the sun is.

I didn’t hear any competitor complain about anything the match could control.

Everything ran smoothly and on schedule.

I talked for a while with a USPSA executive at the event.  A few impressions are :  He knows his stuff.  He’s quick.  If he could provide more for the sport and competitors, he would.

Cons:

More gun owners don’t know about this sport.

Matches can’t control the consistency of ROs.  Some are amazing.  Some are the opposite.  But seriously, if you’re always angry and you get your rocks off telling competitors what to do - don’t be an RO.  Especially don’t be a CRO. 

Overall, great match.  At this point in the sport, I’m not sure it could be much better.

I hated my performance in it - mainly because I had so much proof I could do better.  When all the scores were in, I had 4 top 10 stage finishes.  But, mainly because of serious performance and mag issues on the 3rd day - I ended up at 80% and 42nd place.

Next year suckers.  Next year.  

On 10/26/2020 at 6:23 AM, Whoops! said:

Matches can’t control the consistency of ROs.  Some are amazing.  Some are the opposite.  But seriously, if you’re always angry and you get your rocks off telling competitors what to do - don’t be an RO.  Especially don’t be a CRO. 

I thought this was the best-officiated match I have ever been to. I found the RO's to be very professional, competent, courteous and friendly. I've only been to 6 or 7 nationals, but this one really stood out to me, and it seems to me like Troy and the other RMI's have pointed things in the right direction.

3 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

I thought this was the best-officiated match I have ever been to. I found the RO's to be very professional, competent, courteous and friendly. I've only been to 6 or 7 nationals, but this one really stood out to me, and it seems to me like Troy and the other RMI's have pointed things in the right direction.

Things are definitely being pointed in the right direction - but the RO’s are still volunteers and the quality of work is still representative of that.

I would have liked to see more changes to the stages between the matches (normally Smitty and crew do this very well), but there's only so much you can do with a staff match as well.  You got a good leg up in the 2nd match if you also shot the 1st. 

I guess that boosts participation though.. ;)

5 minutes ago, shred said:

I would have liked to see more changes to the stages between the matches (normally Smitty and crew do this very well), but there's only so much you can do with a staff match as well.  You got a good leg up in the 2nd match if you also shot the 1st. 

I guess that boosts participation though.. ;)

Good point.  I would add that to my feedback as well.

It’s custom.  I told him I wouldn’t tell people who the builder is because they aren’t readily available yet.

The highlights are a Binary 3 Port Titanium Comp.

2 up ports just before the comp chambers (I’m guessing roughly a 1/4 inch in diameter).

6 v ports behind that.

It shot really well.  So well that when I get my frame in and an Infinity slide, I’m going to try hard to talk the builder into making me one.

6DCE19CB-B051-4489-A51D-132E9F62CEF0.jpeg

I’ll say this about Max too - dude is smart. Probably how he went from no USPSA experience to Nats champ in such a small amount of time.

Both of his designs - PCC and Open - are the best platforms I’ve tried for quick and controllable recoil.  And, with all the info that’s out there - they just make sense.

Edited by Whoops!

1 hour ago, EEH said:

Saw some of maxamundi video,, what gun was he shooting ?

He posted in one of his Instagram videos that it was made by Brekke. "either way, having so much fun out here with @lyndaturnbull_ and our great squad and my @brekkecustom 9 major open gun"

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGuS4ksJu2p/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Well he sure could have told me he was going to post that 😄.  I was jokingly giving him crap about telling everyone - not sure if that influenced the plug or not.

Originally, Brekke’s slide manufacturer was crapping the bed on him.  Influenced him enough to not build any 2011’s at all.  He might be coming around though if Max posted that.

Edited by Whoops!