Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To gas paddle or not?

Ozy

On 11/18/2020 at 1:41 PM, csailer said:

Hi Oded,

I think a thumb rest is very important for my grip style and minimizing recoil.  It also adds a solid level of consistency for thumb placement.

1) Consistency/thumb placement.  Good grip is essential.  Having the same grip every time is essential.  Various pressure in odd spots creates an unpredictable (not just straight up and straight down dot) which leads to poor results.  Having a spot to hit like the pedal has helped me a bunch.

2) Locking the wrist/thumb.  The goal of the thumb pedal isn't to push down on the pedal.  That is bad.  Contrary to silly youtube "shooting professionals".....you do NOT push down on the gun.  You let the gun do it's thing.  It's going to recoil.  Don't push down....you can't time your shots to push down at the right time.  Let the gun recoil, but lock your left wrist and put pressure in the right spots and it won't recoil much....but you're not fighting the gun down.  Thus, with a thumb rest, don't push down.  This is why people who don't train run into troubles with it.  Instead, you use it to aid in locking your wrist.  

Get a slo mo of the gun, wrist, etc with and without a *thumb rest [generic]*.  See what the dot does with either.  

Good luck! 

Great advice and input , Christian. Appreciate it very much. 
have fun at the infinity experience. I’ll try to make it( it will be my 3rd) next year.

On 11/20/2020 at 4:49 PM, Ozy said:

Great advice and input , Christian. Appreciate it very much. 
have fun at the infinity experience. I’ll try to make it( it will be my 3rd) next year.

No problem, happy to help!  Was a good one this weekend!  Hope to see you next year!  :)

I ordered my SVI open gun initially with a GoGun thumb rest but ended up changing it to the DAA Adjustable thumb rest. I changed it because the GoGun rest is just so large and the DAA seemed to be a little more low profile. DAA also just came out with a narrow version of the adjustable thumb rest. I was wandering myself if I should go with the narrow version. 

I had a thumb rest on my open gun and found it was great for consistent grip and for table starts.  As someone else said in an earlier post, if you like to switch divisions routinely to ones where they’re not allowed, it could mess with your grip on the other platforms, so you may want to take that into account.

On 10/27/2020 at 9:24 AM, Shmella said:

If you only shoot one division i like them. But if you jump from say open to production, i thought it was a weird feeling going back and forth. I ditched them for that reason. just felt too weird to hold a gun without one when you get used to having something there to rest your thumb on.

A Nitro Fin (CZ 75) can be used in production. Take a mm off the edge and it will fit in the box. OR, slim the right side of the safety and it will fit in the box. 

I Run them on my CO guns . 

brassweb.jpg

I'm no GM, and I know my technique isn't "correct" but I've made some big improvements this last season by using my thumbrest to pinch the gun between my thumb and my forefinger on the bottom of the trigger guard. It definitely moves my support hand forward, but it really helps me lock in my grip on the gun, and gives me a lot more control than a standard offhand grip. Experiences may vary though.

On 10/26/2020 at 8:54 AM, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Here is what I am using. I drilled and tapped the mount to fit the thumb rest my son made. Thanks, Eric

IMG_4239.jpg

I've seen those flat pedals, how do you like it compared to the normal angled one? I've never tried a flat pedal before

Hello: The flat thumb rest works better for me than the angled ones. It just places my thumb in the same spot every time. The angled ones tend to push on my thumb under recoil. Yes, I did try different placement of the thumb rests and also angles. I point my thumbs forward and I have large hands so the flat one works best for me. Does it make me a better a shooter--no, I do just as well with no thumb rest at all. Practice will make you a better shooter. Thanks, Eric

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/8/2020 at 6:31 PM, tomjerry1 said:

I use Nitro Fin's, I feel it helps with getting the same grip, time after time, helped me with accuracy, repeatable. I'm not trying to control recoil.

thats a big plus 1 from me exactly as tom said 

• 3 weeks later...

*thumb rest [generic]* caused me more issues than they helped. While not helping my scores. I have several in my spare parts box and none on my Open Gun. 
Don’t do what I did getting caught up in the gear and gadget black hole. 
Work on your support hand position, wrist break over, Target transitions and movement. 
you will have better scores for it. 

Edited by TWHaz

On 1/29/2021 at 12:36 PM, TWHaz said:

*thumb rest [generic]* caused me more issues than they helped. While not helping my scores. I have several in my spare parts box and none on my Open Gun. 
Don’t do what I did getting caught up in the gear and gadget black hole. 
Work on your support hand position, wrist break over, Target transitions and movement. 
you will have better scores for it. 

I agree 200%.... after struggling with them for 4 weeks, I fail to realize any benefits..... took them off!!!
smart advice sir!!!!

After a decade long hiatus, I bought a used Brazos Pro Sx to being shooting again, and it came with whatever Bob puts on his guns.  At first, I wondered what sort of pansy needed this goofy add on.  Didn't have those crutches in my day; we shot our Open guns like real men (said in a grumpy old man voice).  With a half a season under my belt, I think I like it, but can't say it's made a significant improvement to stability, etc.