Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hotter minor loads w/ plated 124 and SP

I’m getting into minor open for 3 gun and haven’t loaded 9mm 124gr plated bullets with Sport Pistol above 135pf with my Limited gun. 
I will be getting a 2 port comp w/ barrel (no popple holes) fitted on my 2011. Has anyone pushed 124gr bullets with Sport Pistol safely in the 140-145PF or maybe to the 150PF range? 
Looks like WAC and HS-6 are readily available and can alway try some of that. 

Edited by 021411

you will want to use slower powder if you want to make that comp work. I run my AGW Erebus at around 145PF with Shooters World Major Pistol. It works very well. WAC/CFE-P works great too. You can push bullet faster with fast powder, but it will not really generate much gas and you will have a snappy/jumpy beast 😃

Most of the Open minor shooters I shoot with stay around 150 PF with 115s and WAC.  It's enough to reduce muzzle rise and soften recoil.  That said there are a lot of 124 and 147 Open minor shooters.  I load 124s to 144 PF for three reasons.  I only shoot minor for Steel Challenge, my 115 JHPs are reserved for major and 144 is as low as I can go and still have reliable function.   

So try both and see which you prefer.  I really liked Berry's hollow base 115s for minor.  When they dried up I bought as many 124 plated as I could find.  There isn't a great difference in feel.