Make the X5 Legion great again!

Chillywig

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Chillywig said:

And tungsten guide rod or pins or whatever is out there 

Pins are for the Wilson grip. Tungsten SSI slug replaces the grip weight in the X5 grip. I personally don’t like the tungsten guide rod on an already top heavy gun. But yes, you need all the stuffs!

Edited by Posvar

4 minutes ago, Posvar said:

Pins are for the Wilson grip. Tungsten SSI slug replaces the grip weight in the X5 grip. I personally don’t like the tungsten guide rod on an already top heavy gun. But yes, you need all the stuffs!

LOL! That's what I was afraid of... 

Why would Max use a standard X5 upper vs an X5 Legion upper on his X5 Legion lower?  What is the difference between the two uppers?  I have X5 Legions set up for CO and for Production.  But I never knew there was a difference in uppers from the standard X5 to the X5 Legion?

9 minutes ago, JGus said:

Why would Max use a standard X5 upper vs an X5 Legion upper on his X5 Legion lower?  What is the difference between the two uppers?  I have X5 Legions set up for CO and for Production.  But I never knew there was a difference in uppers from the standard X5 to the X5 Legion?

I think it comes down to personal preference. The older X5 guns lock up differently than the Legion. The lock up as much tighter and people have said that the X5 original is more accurate. I’m sure Max knows what he’s doing but it is interesting to think that he does not shoot a full-fledged legion.

• 3 weeks later...

So I finally got out to the range last week and ran some rounds thru the gun with the new AC/GG trigger combo. It is a dramatic improvement. I am running a 10lb recoil spring in my with my 147gr 129 PF loads. The dot on the RTS2 seemed to just slip out of the top of the glass in recoil and returned to 0 well. I didn't take a timer to look at splits but I was running it well and the second shots were landing very close to the first shot. I did short stoke the new trigger set up twice but its no where near as bad as before. Coming from PCC/open its hard to get used to the longer reset while trying to shoot fast

It does. If I hand cycle the action gently the slide will not go into battery without a tap on the rear end. During live fire or just dropping the slide I never have had a problem going into battery. I switched to the 10lb spring in part for the way it felt in recoil and partly because of the ejection pattern. With the 10 the brass clears the gun and lands several feet away to the right. With the factory orange/purple spring the brass would barely dribble out of the gun. Often times it would get launched straight forward as it was hitting the optic and getting bounced off the glass as the slide was going closing

FYI its a regular 10lb wolf 

Edited by Chillywig

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, BillChunn said:

Might be late to the party but does everyone know about this deal?  You create an account at  at https://www.sigsauer.com/legion-registration and register your serial number.  They send you a code to use as a discount.

image.png.d67214d9bd909194428dd7200120947f.png

Yes. That’s how you get the case and Legion coin, and access to Legion-owner only schwag on the website.

50 minutes ago, Posvar said:

The case was dramatically underwhelming but a free soft case is a free case I guess. 

I felt the same way.  Though I am going to try the Legion in CO this year.  Been shooting a CZ shadow.

Edited by Blue Jacket

The case fits the gun quite nicely.  The black "Legion P320 XFIVE" label stuck on with velcro was not included with the case but is Legion swag.  The case serves well as something to carry the gun to the safe area when gearing up.  

BC

Case1.jpg

Case2.jpg

Edited by BillChunn

I have installed the Gray Guns trigger.  I tried the Armory Craft (AC) trigger but found that the corners of the trigger pinched my finger when firing at speed in competition.  I have heard others have this issue as well so your result may vary in regards to that trigger.  I also did not see any noticeable travel advantage in regards to take up or reset when the AC trigger compared to the Gray Guns trigger install.

So the rule of thumb seems to be that keep the 12 pound recoil spring for ammo with a PF of 125-130, and use the 14 pound recoil spring for ammo with a PF of 130-135.  A buddy just had his take down lever break when using a lighter recoil spring firing ammo with a PF of 135.  He and his gun smith believe that the lighter recoil spring prevented the slide from hammering the take down lever.  So the impacting slide is what broke the take down lever.  He said it was nearly impossible to get the slide off the gun.  Something to consider.  I haver noted with my guns running an 11# recoil spring that if the gun has about 1000 rounds of relatively clean ammo the gun stops short of going back into battery occasionally and that is with a fresh spring.  I think there also may be something to the number of coils on the stock Sig 12, and 14 pound springs (and similar Springer Precision springs they recently released) in comparison to the fewer number of coils on a normal 1911 spring that may aid in returning the gun to battery.  This is just a theory.  I intend to move back to the springs with more coils. I have just received this info so I plan to revisit the recoil spring tuning in my X5s. I bumped my PF up to 135 for almost all of my ammo in that I found it was more accurate at higher velocities.  Especially the 147 gr bullets.

Some things to keep in mind if you start "Tuning" your recoil springs.

I have installed the Tungsten guide rod and like the balance of the gun versus the stainless steel guide rod.  I don't think its a must, but more of a preference.  I do not see any need what so ever for the tungsten grip weight to replace the stock grip weight.  I like the current weight of the gun with just the Tungsten guide rod.  I actually prefer the stock X5 because I felt the gun was easier to transition, but the gun shoots flatter and shooting one handed is way more stable with the TXG grip.  Dot moved less with more weight when shooting one handed.  Again these are items you may want to play with and/or test, but know it may just be a waste of money.  

Edited by Boomstick303

42 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

I also did not see any noticeable travel advantage in regards to take up or reset when the AC trigger compared to the Gray Guns trigger install.

Then you are doing something wrong.  I have that setup in 3 legions and the difference is huge. 

Edited by echotango

11 minutes ago, echotango said:

Then you are doing something wrong.  I have that setup in 3 legions and the difference is huge. 

Same here....

Only have 2 Legions, one that was purchased with the GG Competition kit installed and the second with a GG kit, TSA trigger job and AC trigger.

The GG kit only, the trigger has a mushy wall and quite a bit of takeup.  The AC trigger is setup with an immediate wall as in no take up and as little overtravel as possible and still have the gun function.  The trigger gauge read 2 pounds 2.5 ounces with the AC trigger.

It all boils down to what YOU want in a trigger and how YOU feel it should run.  Coming from 20+ years of shooting an Open division 2011 with a 16 ounce trigger, for me a lighter trigger that immediately reacts to pressure is what I prefer.    YMMV.

BC

Edited by BillChunn
more stuff

57 minutes ago, echotango said:

Interesting.   For the gun to function reliably you need at least 2 mm of difference in travel in regards to take up.  Have you measured the Gray Guns distance in regards to travel and reset?  I have, and in my eyes the distance in negligible.  Add to the fact you are adding screws that can back out and create operational issues (points of failure) I do not see the added benefit for a competition gun.

I have had both and especially shooting at speed the difference is not notable.   For you it may be different.  That with the fact the AC triggered pinched my fingers makes the trigger a waste of money for me.  For others it may be a different story.   As with anything in life your results may vary.

Edited by Boomstick303

15 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

Interesting.   For the gun to function reliably you need at least 2 mm of difference in travel in regards to take up.  Have you measured the Gray Guns distance in regards to travel and reset?  I have, and in my eyes the distance in negligible.  I have had both and especially shooting at speed the difference is not notable.   For you it may be different.  That with the fact the AC triggered pinched my fingers makes the trigger a waste of money for me.  For others it may be a different story.   As with anything in life your results may vary.

How does it pinch your finger? I’m having a hard time visualizing how that would happen with any of the triggers.  

11 minutes ago, Rich406 said:

How does it pinch your finger? I’m having a hard time visualizing how that would happen with any of the triggers.  

My trigger finger rides very low on the trigger.  It does not happen at every time I pull the trigger but if I am at angles or something other than natural point of aim the bottom corner of the trigger pinches my finger between the corner of the trigger and the trigger guard with the Armory Craft trigger (AC). I don't know if it has do to with the angle at the bottom of the AC trigger or what, but I do not experience with is the stock  X5 trigger, the Apex trigger or the Gray Guns triggers all using the flat triggers.  As noted above, and in talking with other on the same platform I am not the only one that has this issue.

Edited by Boomstick303

1 hour ago, Boomstick303 said:

A buddy just had his take down lever break when using a lighter recoil spring firing ammo with a PF of 135.  He and his gun smith believe that the lighter recoil spring prevented the slide from hammering the take down lever.  So the impacting slide is what broke the take down lever. 

Was it the OEM takedown lever or the goguns thumbrest? I’ve seen OEM break, but it’s pretty rare. Sig actually recommends that you replace it every 20k rounds.

I broke 5 goguns takedown levers last year. I was getting 5-7k out of them on average. Now I just change them out every 5k rounds.

It was not my lever.  I believe that it was a stock take down lever.   I imagine that one that broke had well over 20,000 rounds on it, but I will ask the next time I see him. 

I did not realize Sig recommends that you replace them.  That makes sense now that I know they break.

Something to add to the maintenance interval.   I need to order replacement Gray Guns springs as well.  I think I will be changing those out every 5-10k rounds.  I have not landed on a number yet.  

Thanks for the info.

3 minutes ago, Rich406 said:

These are the recommended maintenance intervals from the Sig Armorer class on the p320. Some of the numbers seem pretty conservative, but it covers all the items you’d likely have issues with. 

F6AE9A81-F156-4AD5-8696-374F50B5E259.jpeg

Thanks! That is good to know. A little simpler than Open gun maintenance I must say