Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What if your squad got moved to a different Zone

Racinready300ex

Say you where shooting Nat's, and knew where you were starting and walked the stages in that zone the day before so when you show up in the AM you'll be prepared. Then lets say morning of you show up and find out they moved you, and you're starting in a different zone on stages you've never seen. 

What would you think of this? Does it happen often at matches this size?

I've been to other matches where that's happened. For instance last year at the Magnus Cup there was a huge rain storm and they moved us to a different zone.

Ideally you walk all the stages prior to the match starting. Then freshen up before you shoot that section.

8 minutes ago, Explosiveo said:

I've been to other matches where that's happened. For instance last year at the Magnus Cup there was a huge rain storm and they moved us to a different zone.

Ideally you walk all the stages prior to the match starting. Then freshen up before you shoot that section.

22 stages is a lot to walk before hand, but you would be prepared for anything I guess.

19 minutes ago, Explosiveo said:

They don't call it Hurricane for nothing! Stages have been completely removed by the wind! You could of stayed in rotation but the calf deep water on that one stage would of been a challenge!

10 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

22 stages is a lot to walk before hand, but you would be prepared for anything I guess.

Yup, stuff happens.

That would not be ideal. Everyone has their own way of how to get prepared so I prefer not to just default to the  “walk them all” response. 

If this happened due to an unforeseen/unpreventable situation then I’d be more understanding. If it was due to just a good ole fashioned mistake I’d be more frustrated. 

I personally walk them all then go back and focus on the ones I’m shootout the next day. Try to really get familiar with them. So showing up and being moved to another zone might be a pain. 

Edited by B_RAD

13 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

That would not be ideal. Everyone has their own way of how to get prepared so I prefer not to just default to the  “walk them all” response. 

If this happened due to an unforeseen/unpreventable situation then I’d be more understanding. If it was due to just a good ole fashioned mistake I’d be more frustrated. 

I personally walk them all then go back and focus on the ones I’m shootout the next day. Try to really get familiar with them. So showing up and being moved to another zone might be a pain. 

I don't know the reason for this, I'd assume to speed up match flow because one zone had more then another. But that's just a guess. This didn't happen to me, my squad was moved but we stayed in our zone. I do know it happened to at least one squad, I'm sure there was a reason, hopefully it was a solid one.

It wasn't something I had considered could happen, but now that I know I'll try to prepare for it the best I can in the future just incase I'm not so lucky next time. 

If it's for match flow reasons, they should tell you at registration when you show up to walk stages.  For unforeseen circumstances you might just get hosed if you didn't walk them all.

IMO at majors there shouldn't be a need to do tons of walkthrough just to get a reasonable plan together.  They should be testing who is the best shooter more than who has the most free time and money to show up early.

On 10/23/2020 at 8:02 AM, Racinready300ex said:

i've never been to a major match where I didn't look at every stage before the main match started.  I like to know which movers I really need to make an effort to see getting activated. Getting moved to a different zone wouldn't be optimal, but it wouldn't be horrible either. I also tend to show up an hour early and look at that day's stages again. The last 2 nationals I've been to have generally not required extensive walk-through, although stage 2 and 3 last week both required extra time for me.

21 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

i've never been to a major match where I didn't look at every stage before the main match started.  I like to know which movers I really need to make an effort to see getting activated. Getting moved to a different zone wouldn't be optimal, but it wouldn't be horrible either. I also tend to show up an hour early and look at that day's stages again. The last 2 nationals I've been to have generally not required extensive walk-through, although stage 2 and 3 last week both required extra time for me.

This was my first nationals, and my first match that I didn't expect to shoot all the stages in one day. So it was a learning experience for sure. In this case I showed up before the sun, morning of and re-walked all the stages in my zone. Then went to my start bay and loaded mags. About 15 mins before hammer down is when my squad was told we were starting three stages down.  That stage was still in the same zone and didn't really bother me at all. The day before I had walked my zone and most of the next zone too. So I felt pretty well prepared. 

I know there was another squad that got a similar amount of notice but moved from zone 1 to zone 3. The shooter I talked to had not walked zone 3 yet, and it sounded like most of his squad hadn't either. I might as well learn from their mistake if I can.

It sounds like this must be kind of common. So next year I'll plan to check the squad matrix every morning just in case it changes without notice and pre walk all the stages just to be safe. I'm setting a goal of a 10% gain next year and don't want to risk starting off on the wrong foot. 

4 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

It sounds like this must be kind of common. So next year I'll plan to check the squad matrix every morning just in case it changes without notice and pre walk all the stages just to be safe. I'm setting a goal of a 10% gain next year and don't want to risk starting off on the wrong foot. 

i've never heard of it before, and never experienced it. It doesn't sound optimal. Were you on the am/pm/am schedule? i know there were some empty squads there, so I could sorta see some rebalancing going on. The pm/am/pm group where I shot was pretty full. 

15 mins is not much notice. I would try to be polite about it, but I would probably be asking for more time and taking a little longer at make-ready.

2 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

i've never heard of it before, and never experienced it. It doesn't sound optimal. Were you on the am/pm/am schedule? i know there were some empty squads there, so I could sorta see some rebalancing going on. The pm/am/pm group where I shot was pretty full. 

15 mins is not much notice. I would try to be polite about it, but I would probably be asking for more time and taking a little longer at make-ready.

Yeah we were am/pm/am and I'm guessing it had to do with balancing. I think my squad had a ghost squad in front of and behind us so our zone must of been pretty light. 

1 hour ago, motosapiens said:

Stage 2 was easy ofnyounhad the right plan. I did not. Shoot two targets from the start stick. Then go to one side and shoot everything you see except the furthest target (which will be the first target as you come in on the opposite side). Hwansik posted this and I think it was the best plan. It eliminated skipping over tragets on the left and rgith side of the stage. 

Stage 3 was an awesome stage with tons of options. 

I would love to have both of them back. 

Edited by B_RAD

Stage 2 was my best finish at nats, 14th overall in Production. I was also the first shooter for my squad on that stage. I have a very simple plan, visually, but it took me 40 minutes to work out the day before with Jeff Emrich. I would have been more than irritated if my squad had been moved from zone 1 to any other zone after putting in hours of work walking stages the day before.

• 2 weeks later...

Is pre walking stages the day before or day of something that is guaranteed? I know of at least on sectional I shot this year where we drove 6 hours and took a day off work to walk stages the day before and the entire staff had the place locked up before we got there. We were early according to the match book. Didnt get any walk through, no registration until day of, no RO's knew what stage anyone started on..... it was a let down. And a match I will probably never go to again.

4 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

Is pre walking stages the day before or day of something that is guaranteed? I know of at least on sectional I shot this year where we drove 6 hours and took a day off work to walk stages the day before and the entire staff had the place locked up before we got there. We were early according to the match book. Didnt get any walk through, no registration until day of, no RO's knew what stage anyone started on..... it was a let down. And a match I will probably never go to again.

Rule 8.7 discusses range inspection. They did not allow pre-inspection one year at Area 2. The blow-back was so intense I am guessing they looked under their cars before getting in. They only did that once. 😉