Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Very strange performance issue

DD78

This year I've shot a few more majors than I have in any of the 5 years I've been shooting USPSA and 3 gun.  

One very strange thing happens that I can't quite put my finger on as the cause.  

When I shoot local matches, whether they're USPSA or 3 gun, I generally do well, shoot very free, and execute my plans really well.  

As soon as I make ready on the first stage of a major, that all flies out the window.  

What winds up happening is I suddenly start shooting slow.  While I'm accurate, I'm just not shooting stages as quickly as I would at a local match.  

It's not nerves because my heart rate is about the same as it typically is.  It just seems like I'm hesitant to shoot at my normal speed, almost like I'm trying to avoid a miss here or there, when I don't have a whole lot of misses at local matches.  

One of my friends who is a much better shooter than I am asked me a question that may be the answer, but I figured I'd also ask here to see if there are any other idea on what may be my issue.  The question he asked me is "when you're shooting a local, are you thinking about where you're going to finish before and during the match"?  My answer was no, I just show up and shoot my best and try to push myself.  He then asked "are you doing that at majors"?  I laughed and said no.  One of the things I have a bad habit of doing is taking a look at who is registered at a major in my division, and trying to figure out where I'd likely finish.  What ends up happening is that I don't finish where I thought I would.  Next year I'm going to try out not looking at the registration page and just showing up and shooting like I would for a local and see if that makes a difference.  

I'd be interested in hearing from others here who may have an idea about what might be causing this issue, or others who have had this issue and seemed to be able to get over it.  

2 hours ago, BoyGlock said:

Subscribe/Listen to Steve Anderson’s podcast

Definitely. You cannot go into a match looking for that kind of result. Shoot 1 less major next year and take Steve Anderson's Mental Management Class. It will accelerate your performance at majors. It is far from just for shooting. It will help your whole life.

• 3 weeks later...

IMHO it's a very poor idea to look at the competition and then try and figure out what your score will be in relation to them before the match. As well, keeping score during a match is also not a great idea. It takes your mind away from the simple "See targets, shoot targets as fast and accurately as you can". Run the match like you would at a local match. Go for it! Thinkin' ain't always good.

You will quickly find that many of the top shooters will talk about how expectations can severely affect your performance. Anderson talks about it all the time as many others do. I have been working on this issue all of my life. I have in other hobbies and sports seen when I place zero expectations on stuff and let the sub conscious run the show the performance is usually at the top levels of my abilities in just about anything. Once I place expectations on any of it, it all falls to crap.  

Edited by Boomstick303

On 11/15/2020 at 3:34 AM, Boomstick303 said:

You will quickly find that many of the top shooters will talk about how expectations can severely affect your performance. Anderson talks about it all the time as many others do. I have been working on this issue al,of my life. I have in other hobbies and sports seen when I place zero expectations on stuff and let the sub conscious run the show the performance is usually at the top levels of my abilities in just about anything. Once I place expectations on any of it, it all falls to crap.  

Agree.  I find focusing on the steps, the things I have to do, and not thinking about the results gets me close to the results I want.