Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new open gun key holing

midatlantic

Took my almost just completed open gun to range and found most of the bullets keyholed.

I say almost cause I discovered the throat needs to be reamed as I can only load 124 blue bullets to about 1.14 and 125 HAP to about 1.12 before they hit the lands.

Loaded a variety of rounds,  with between 6.8 and 7.4 HS6 and at the above OAL  Velocity ranged from 1310 to 1405. Didn't see signs of over pressure. I think at least. 

Crimp is same as I use on all my 9mm rounds. 

I was thinking that I probably pushed the OAL and I wonder if the bullets were touching the lands upon chambering. Would that cause key holing? shot about 50 rounds and maybe 10 shot fine.

I know I have lots more work to do but any thoughts appreciated. And anyone got a 9mm throat reamer they want to sell?

1 minute ago, midatlantic said:

Took my almost just completed open gun to range and found most of the bullets keyholed.

I say almost cause I discovered the throat needs to be reamed as I can only load 124 blue bullets to about 1.14 and 125 HAP to about 1.12 before they hit the lands.

Loaded a variety of rounds,  with between 6.8 and 7.4 HS6 and at the above OAL  Velocity ranged from 1310 to 1405. Didn't see signs of over pressure. I think at least. 

Crimp is same as I use on all my 9mm rounds. 

I was thinking that I probably pushed the OAL and I wonder if the bullets were touching the lands upon chambering. Would that cause key holing? shot about 50 rounds and maybe 10 shot fine.

I know I have lots more work to do but any thoughts appreciated. And anyone got a 9mm throat reamer they want to sell?

before you do anything, check for bullet strikes on the baffles on the comp.  were the groups bad as well?

2 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I think your bullets are hitting the comp. Take a look at the through hole in the comp on the top. Try shooting at shorter and longer distances to see if the key hole gets smaller and bigger. Thanks, Eric

Agreed. When I was having problems with a loose comp it was really hard to see any evidence of bullet strikes. Gunsmith tightened comp up and checked reaming etc and everything was good to go.

Ran reamer through comp for second time. Attached to barrel of course. EGW reamer for 9/38. New. Comp is not moving. All rounds passed the plunk test. Fired another 30-40 rounds, HAP 125 and Blue Bullets 124 tc. Most still keyholed, none was accurate. At 15 yards sprayed all over 12 x 8 inch target.

All advice welcome. If rounds are still striking the comp, as appears likely, what's the solution? Find a 10 mm drill and drill out comp? 

53 minutes ago, midatlantic said:

I reamed all three baffles in the compensator with a .3850 reamer and solved the problem. Took off a smidgen more than the EGW 9mm/.38 reamer. 

Ta-dah!!!!!

Edited by Sarge

On 10/22/2020 at 4:37 PM, midatlantic said:

didn't see strikes on baffles - and I reamed the comp after installation. Groups that did not keyhole were good. Otherwise nope. They were bad.

Did you ever notice any evidence of the baffle strikes? What did you use to peak in there?

Edited by Chillywig