Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

things I have learned-dillon 550c

just a few tips for those who might need them

1.primer slides bind when  dirty or a primer(usually small primers) fail to fall where they should.clean out beneath the primer set up often--again especially with the small primers. they tend to throw a lot of debris

2. prime r slid e  works better if you leave the set  screws( that attach the primer unit to the loader) a  bit   loose

3. if primers are not fully seating: take apart primer section of loader. remove the primer seating unit. loosen the  retaining screw for the primer seating  unit( cup spring...) place a use d primer in the cup and carefully turn it over. press the unit down so the primer is  flush with  the cup rim and retighten the set  screw.

4. if th e  powder bar is sticking. it is usually the fail safe(PIA) bar adjustment that needs attention

5. dummy rounds are your friend when setting up powder  dumps, OAL and crimp tightness.  always pull the barrel out of a gun that you want to load for to verify that your OAL and crimp pass the plunk test

enjoy shooting your reloads  :)

Edited by boatdoc173
typo

Good advice.

Also keep it lubed. As it gets dirty you slowly get used to the dirty feeling, its not until you clean it and start again that you realize how its supposed to feel.

ive got a lot of upgrades on my 550 but the only one i thought made a difference was drilling and tapping the spent primer cup and putting a npt x barb fitting in it and running a hose to a 1 gallon jug.

1 hour ago, boatdoc173 said:

just a few tips for those who might need them

1.primer slides bind when  dirty or a primer(usually small primers) fail to fall where they should.clean out beneath the primer set up often--again especially with the small primers. they tend to throw a lot of debris

2. prime r slid e  works better if you leave the set  screws( that attach the primer unit to the loader) a  bit   loose

3. if primers are not fully seating: take apart primer section of loader. remove the primer seating unit. loosen the  retaining screw for the primer seating  unit( cup spring...) place a use d primer in the cup and carefully turn it over. press the unit down so the primer is  flush with  the cup rim and retighten the set  screw.

4. if th e  powder bar is sticking. it is usually the fail safe(PIA) bar adjustment that needs attention

5. dummy rounds are your friend when setting up powder  dumps, OAL and crimp tightness.  always pull the barrel out of a gun that you want to load for to verify that your OAL and crimp pass the plunk test

enjoy shooting your reloads  :)

1-3 are why I switched to the 650.😉

2 hours ago, boatdoc173 said:

2. primer slide works better if you leave the set screws( that attach the primer unit to the loader) a bit loose

If you overtighten these screws the thin aluminum wall on the primer magazine bracket can bulge and make the primer transfer bar stick. A small safety file will knock down these high pressure points and give you back the smooth reliability. I used the file that comes in a Kart EZ fit barrel kit.

3 hours ago, m700 said:

I got a lot of upgrades on my 550 but the only one i thought made a difference was drilling and tapping the spent primer cup and putting a npt x barb fitting in it and running a hose to a 1 gallon jug.

I'll add the biggest and cheapest one for me was replacing that garbage cotter pin with a finish nail to make sure the chute doesn't stick open.

3 hours ago, m700 said:

Good advice.

Also keep it lubed. As it gets dirty you slowly get used to the dirty feeling, its not until you clean it and start again that you realize how its supposed to feel.

ive got a lot of upgrades on my 550 but the only one i thought made a difference was drilling and tapping the spent primer cup and putting a npt x barb fitting in it and running a hose to a 1 gallon jug.

I agree I’ve never had any problems with the primer system on my 550 in over twenty years. I do put a little lube on my slide after cleaning it and I never tighten the nut that holds the primer tube.

Wait a minute, while the above mods are definitely nice, I don’t think you can say they are better than upgrading to the roller handle. That has to be the single best upgrade you can make to the 550 (in my opinion). 

And, what are you living the primer slide with?  A liquid? Or more of a graphite powder?

8 hours ago, Cuz said:

Wait a minute, while the above mods are definitely nice, I don’t think you can say they are better than upgrading to the roller handle. That has to be the single best upgrade you can make to the 550 (in my opinion). 

And, what are you living the primer slide with?  A liquid? Or more of a graphite powder?

I been using action lube plus which is a thin moly grease, I just put a thin film on the bottom and sides of the slide.

10 hours ago, belus said:

If you overtighten these screws the thin aluminum wall on the primer magazine bracket can bulge and make the primer transfer bar stick. A small safety file will knock down these high pressure points and give you back the smooth reliability. I used the file that comes in a Kart EZ fit barrel kit.

Yep, I was shocked to see how much they bulged. Yep a few strokes with a flat file will smooth it out.

I took a rat trail file and cleaned up the failsafe bracket on the powder hopper. That helped too.