Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack Division - Slide Question

Yagi

Planning on another Single Stack Build.

Are "NO STIRRUP" legal in this division? 

or should I go with the conventional design with a STIRRUP on the slide.

Thank you,

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what a Stirrup is?  I couldn't fine a good explanation/example.  Some people referred to it as the "ball cut".  Is it the same thing?

But as far as slide cuts go it boils down to if it is deemed to provide a competitive advantage or not.  Milling

D4-21 and 22

Permitted - Duplicating features that are on a factory, mass produced slide available to the general public is permitted.

Permitted - Milling of the slide to insert sights, add or remove serrations, such as cocking or flat topping, tri-topping the slide, lowering ejection ports, cuts that are minor and cosmetic in nature are permitted.

Prohibited - Slide lightening, cuts, ports, or any milling deemed to provide a competitive advantage.

Edited by jwhittin

45 minutes ago, jwhittin said:

Some people referred to it as the "ball cut".  Is it the same thing?

Yes. Normally it is a ball cut. 

The question is if I can do no stirrups and leave it alone say on a unique slide as oppose to classic slide cut. 

D5 23 Permitted features  (second bullet)

• Duplicating features that are on a factory, massed produced slide available to the general public.

I think this makes it legal. Since you are leaving material on the slide, the gun is going to be heavier. Could be an issue with a 9mm.

11 minutes ago, jwhittin said:

Ah, I understand now.   I don't recall seeing any mass produced 1911 that doesn't have some form of ball cut.  Are they available as a standard option?

"Duplicating features that are on a factory, massed produced slide available to the general public."

The rule, as written, says slide, not firearm or 1911. 😉 

45 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

"Duplicating features that are on a factory, massed produced slide available to the general public."

The rule, as written, says slide, not firearm or 1911. 😉 

Good catch.  Yes, I agree.  The slides are widely available without a ball cut so it should be legal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You can get away with a LOT of milling or no milling in SS. Belive me. I build a DW PM45 that has full length steel guide rod, steel smith and Alexander magwell/MSH and a not tri topped slide. It is just under weight with mag. I also have serrations on the side of the frame where your thumb goes. That we actually talked to troy about and is good to go. 

On 10/21/2020 at 12:02 AM, WFargo said:

But that one seems to have a full length dust cover.... Is that allowed in USPSA?   It's not in IPSC.... (but we're not talking IPSC of course...)

Not part of the OP, but

"Factory installed light rail attachments if the dust cover is no longer than 3.25 inches measured from the rear of the slide stop pin to the front of the dust cover."

Rich Dettelhouser  from Canyon Creek  did what he called a Krebs cut on one of my 9MM Single Stack guns. I talked to Troy and he said it was okay because it did not take any more material than tri-topping the slide. It also did not make a hole/port which is specifically prohibited by the rules.

Krebs Cut .jpg

On 12/18/2020 at 12:32 PM, JayWord said:

Rich Dettelhouser  from Canyon Creek  did what he called a Krebs cut on one of my 9MM Single Stack guns. I talked to Troy and he said it was okay because it did not take any more material than tri-topping the slide. It also did not make a hole/port which is specifically prohibited by the rules.

Krebs Cut .jpg

is it allowed to carve up a Single Stack Slide as much as you want as long as it doesn't put holes in it?

On 12/21/2020 at 11:46 AM, DirkD said:

is it allowed to carve up a Single Stack Slide as much as you want as long as it doesn't put holes in it?

Take a look at the Dan Wesson pic I posted. 100% SS Legal. The milled out areas of the slide are .50 thousands deep. I'd recomend not going that deep unless you are ok with the possibilty of cutting though the slide. We normally cut them at .20 or .30 deep. 

2 hours ago, DirkD said:

A 2011 is a legal single stack??

The Staccato C is a single stack.  Their other models are double stacks.  It depends on the size of the magazines the gun accepts. Wide body frames are not SS legal. See D5 Special notes.   

And because of the ports in the slide of the S&W it is not SS legal. See D5-22.

Edited by jwhittin

1 minute ago, jwhittin said:

The Staccato C is a single stack.  Their other models are double stacks.  It depends on the size of the magazines the gun accepts.   

if you put a single stack mag into a 2011 it is now a single stack?

it is like Magic

5 minutes ago, DirkD said:

if you put a single stack mag into a 2011 it is now a single stack?

No.  You also cant use SS mags made to fit a double stack frame. There is language about that in the rules. Don't know where off the top of my head.

1 minute ago, jwhittin said:

No.  You also cant use SS mags made to fit a double stack frame. There is language about that in the rules. Don't know where off the top of my head.

a 2011 is a double stack frame, the staccato changed the grip to take single stack magazines

Just now, jwhittin said:

The outside grip width is 1" (consistent with single stacks). So I think it was designed for a single stack mag.  Its not a double stack grip modified to accept a single stack mag.  

are there dimensions in the rule book for what makes a single stack grip a single stack grip?

has to fit in the box and be 43 ounces or less

Very little difference in width on a 1911 and 2011 using regular grips on the 1911