Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A Used Trojan

XRe

After some help from Nik, I was trying to figure out how to light a gun, and got this shot of my L-10 toy. I learned a few things in the process - it'll be time to play around with it some more tonight. I'm no Ichiro Nagata, but I'm getting better :)

post-4828-1130160176_thumb.jpg

Great photo. Details?

Glad to see my choice of title had the intended effect :)

Dave - details on the gun, or on how I took the pic?

Gun is my L-10 .40 Trojan. You can see several Tripp Cobra mags around it. The gun has EricW's TruGrip installed (poorly) over heavily modified S&A Black Micarta grips. A Wilson mag catch and button are visible, and you can kinda detect that the underside of the trigger guard has been checkered at 30 lpi. That's all the external differences from a factory gun - it also has an AFTEC and an M2i long firing pin installed, and has had Tripp's "magic .40 Trojan fix" applied. You can also see I need a Swenson :)

The pic was taken w/ a Canon 10D and 70-200/2.8L lens. What you see is straight out of the camera - I haven't even retouched it, yet. I used a three light setup, left direct fill, right indirect fill, main light almost straight on and above. I'm embarrased to say that I used three standard clip lights - no fancy photographer setup. The left bulb was 40W, the right 60W, and the main was 100W. Exposure was 1.3 seconds at f/16. And, the gun is being propped by a broken off popsicle stick behind the grip, wedged under the bottom edge of the slide....

I'm going to shoot a couple of other setups - and I have some ideas for a getting a bore light involved, too. Need to go get some colored gels, and make a snoot out of cardboard, and.... heh heh... Been looking at Ichiro's work on the web this morning. I feel a "gettting out of hand" coming on :)

That's bloody fantastic, Dave. I experimented with that a bit with my EOS Rebel (digital), but I really didn't have enough light, or exposure (both, likely). I'll see what I can to to plagiarize, I mean emulate :D your work.

Couple of other tidbits - I set the white balance using a WhiBal card, and used Av mode to make an educated exposure guess for a first exposure. Then dialed it in using the exposure histogram in M mode. f/16 was chosen to insure plenty of depth of field. I may drop back to f/11, or f/8 if I use the same setup again (let the background be a little fuzzier).

• 1 year later...
Couple of other tidbits - I set the white balance using a WhiBal card, and used Av mode to make an educated exposure guess for a first exposure. Then dialed it in using the exposure histogram in M mode. f/16 was chosen to insure plenty of depth of field. I may drop back to f/11, or f/8 if I use the same setup again (let the background be a little fuzzier).

Custom white balances are the way to go in any studio or difficult situation. Outdoors, in frequently changing light, is about the only time I still use auto white balance.....

Otherwise, when in doubt, follow the Margaret Bourke White approach ---- pick an aperture, and shoot a frame at each shutter speed. You can pick the one you like later.....

A Used Trojan

I wasn't so sure I wanted to see the picture after reading the title! :lol::lol::lol:

Great gun pic! B)

I was wondering... Why would Dave post something like that? :o

Glad it turned out to be a Trojan of the STI type!

Good job Re!

• 11 months later...

I am such a newb when it comes to photography so I hope this question is not stupid. What does it mean to set the white balance? I have read this before and have no clue.

just a few more question also. You stated that you used a left direct fill, right indirect fill. How is the direct fill different from the indirect fill?

Thanks

Edited by PHolsted

Setting white balance is telling the camera what "white" is under the lighting you're dealing with. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_balance and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature - your brain automatically adapts what you see and tells you that the brightest object in the scene you're looking at is "white" and adjusts everything else according. The camera doesn't have a brain, per se - we either tell it to try to figure it out (automatic white balance), we tell it that its looking at sunlight, or shade, or tungsten bulbs, or flourescents... or we tell it a specific color temperature, or we show it what we want to be white and tell it to measure it (setting a custom white balance using a grey or white card).

Direct fill in the context of this photo was pointing a secondary light directly at the gun. Indirect involved bouncing another secondary light off of a reflective object....

Otherwise, when in doubt, follow the Margaret Bourke White approach ---- pick an aperture, and shoot a frame at each shutter speed. You can pick the one you like later.....

Yeah, and she did it with a 4x5 and sheet film! :bow: