Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Challenge load help

orangeman711

What event are you shooting with these bullets? Barrel length? What power factor are you trying to achieve? All three powders you listed are very slow.

I assume these bullets are 9mm.

Sorry, just read the caption of the thread. For a light Steel Challenge load with light bullets a faster powder would be better. I'm using N310 with all of my loads using bullets around 100 gr +-. The problem with light loads using slow powders is that they don't burn completely which leads to high velocity variations and causes them to be very dirty. Sometimes, grains of unburned powder interfere with the operation of the gun.

To give you an idea of what you might try, I have a SC load for my open gun using 115gr bullets and 3.8 gr of N320. To get an equivalent power factor with 3N37, which has a burn rate close to what you listed, I had to bump the load up to 5.5 gr. Both were 109 PF. In this particular case the combination worked pretty well but I wouldn't expect the same results with 100 gr bullet.

Use the Autocomp if you have nothing faster.  It is faster than N350.  HS-6 is waaay too dirty in powder puff loads.  Heck, it's dirty in 9mm major loads.  My personal suggestion is to use Alliant e3.  It is available at Grafs.  Sport Pistol is another good one if you are looking for something a little slower than e3. 

21 hours ago, zzt said:

Use the Autocomp if you have nothing faster.  It is faster than N350.  HS-6 is waaay too dirty in powder puff loads.  Heck, it's dirty in 9mm major loads.  My personal suggestion is to use Alliant e3.  It is available at Grafs.  Sport Pistol is another good one if you are looking for something a little slower than e3. 

I like the sport pistol for light loads in steel challenge, cleaner than many others I've used

• 3 weeks later...