Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Rules Question Regarding "Handling" of Firearms

Is it a violation of USPSA or SCSA Rules to be standing around the range with your unloaded handgun in your holster and have your shooting hand wrapped completely around the grip of that gun the same way it would be if you were drawing and shooting the gun?

I'm thinking it may be a DQ because it's "handling a firearm" outside of a hot range course of fire without a range officer giving you the command to handle a firearm??

Only if the trigger is accessible 

From the glossary 

Handling (As in “handling a firearm”) The act of manipulating, holding, or gripping a firearm while the trigger is functionally accessible. Note exceptions for casing/uncasing PCC.

Edited by Kraj
7 minutes ago, Kraj said:

Only if the trigger is accessible 

From the glossary 

Handling (As in “handling a firearm”) The act of manipulating, holding, or gripping a firearm while the trigger is functionally accessible. Note exceptions for casing/uncasing PCC.

So you're saying it's OK to fully grip a holstered unloaded gun on a cold range?  The rules say that "handling" of firearms can only be done at the "Safe Table" or "during/under direct command of a Range Officer"

I am still unsure of what is actually allowed and what is not when it comes to "handling" of firearms.

Edited by Styro

Definition of Draw

- The point at which a handgun is removed or disengaged from the holster so as to allow access to any portion of the interior of the trigger guard. 

If the gun remains completely holstered (I.e the trigger Guard is Completely covered) no problem at all. You can have your hand on the grip all day.  That said, If you move the gun up even slightly where the trigger is uncovered it’s A DQ.  

hope that helps 

Been doing for decades. actually learned it from some M/GM shooters when I started playing the game around 2000, getting "memory" by gripping/re-gripping, but never drawing.  More an unconscious habit now.

17 hours ago, jwhittin said:

Definition of Draw

- The point at which a handgun is removed or disengaged from the holster so as to allow access to any portion of the interior of the trigger guard. 

If the gun remains completely holstered (I.e the trigger Guard is Completely covered) no problem at all. You can have your hand on the grip all day.  That said, If you move the gun up even slightly where the trigger is uncovered it’s A DQ.  

hope that helps 

Yes, that was great help. Thank you!