Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone know who make tubular metal walls?

bcane98

One of our shooters was at a match this past weekend and notice the walls were tubular and made of metal material... looked like steel conduit... any ideas as to who makes these?  I would attached a photo but apparently the photos were larger than 500kb.

Thanks

Rick

• 2 weeks later...

My experience has been that every club builds their own walls to whatever patter suits their fancy, to the best of my knowledge there is no off the shelf wall system for sale.

Metal walls can be ok but you do need to take the fact that they are metal and WILL get shot into account, may not be the best to have a heavy gauge metal pipe in a place that may get shot at close range.

A local range uses rebar.

I think it is 3/8ths.

they also buy discs.

yes, the same discs farmers use to plow fields.

they are curved or dished.

they torch cut 3 holes top dead center.

then they torch cut two holes 180 degrees apart on the “rim” if the disk.

the three center holes are for pipes that run vertically.  The 3 pipes are welded to the discs.  The vertical pipes act like sockets to receive the rebar legs.

they use 3 pipes like clover leaf’ed together because that gives them the option of running two wall partitions end to end to make a longer run.  Or they can run a partition 90 degrees to the first one.  Well actually...since the rebar is kinda circular in cross section and it is fitting into a circular “socket”, that second or third partition can be swung or pivoted around any angle to the first.

the two holes in the rim are so it can be spiked down.  Or better yet, they use these Spax landscaping timber screws.  They drive those with a cordless impact.

the rebar starts out as a 20 footer.  It is bent at say 6.5 feet in from each end so it looks like a giant staple.

They might weld a horizontal piece of rebar so it is like 3 feet off the ground.

then they zip tie either construction fencing to it... or this other stuff called pearl weave.

Edited by Chills1994

On 10/16/2020 at 11:28 PM, bcane98 said:

One of our shooters was at a match this past weekend and notice the walls were tubular and made of metal material... looked like steel conduit... any ideas as to who makes these?  I would attached a photo but apparently the photos were larger than 500kb.

Thanks

Rick

A welding and fabrication shop?

Any cheap harbor-fright splat-o-matic welder can make them.  A couple right-angle jigs and away you go...  If you use thinner-wall square tubing, bullets can go through the metal and tear them up, but they are easier for one person to lug around.  The usual sizes seem to be 6'x8' or 6'x4'.  Depending on your steel supplier (any metal dealer will have 1" square tubing), you can cut the standard lengths with little waste.