Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magnum primers

jstagn

Have been using federal spp and smp for years in 38 sc.  Magnum primers give 15-20 FPS faster, also single digit SD and ES compared to spp. Same exact load except for primer. No breech face problems.  Since this shortage wondering if anyone using magnum primers in 9 mm major? Heard from someone who had problems in 40. Thanks 

Stocked up on 40K Federal SPM last Spring after doing some searching on this forum and others before deciding to buy; found ample users reporting to have no problems with using SPM in their 9mm Major loads. It gets asked frequently, and the majority consensus that I've always seen is that SPP, SPM, & SRP are all fine and largely interchangeable for 9mm Major loads as long as you're adjusting for PF accordingly.

Edited by kamber

Ever so slight thread drift so sorry. A friend was in a sporting goods store earlier when he called asking if I could use Fed sp match primers. 5K was max so that's added to stockpile. 

How do the match primers differ? I'm assuming a slightly softer cup / easier initiation but that's a wild guess. More $$$, pretty package? Thanks in advance. 

16 minutes ago, Part_time_redneck said:

Ever so slight thread drift so sorry. A friend was in a sporting goods store earlier when he called asking if I could use Fed sp match primers. 5K was max so that's added to stockpile. 

How do the match primers differ? I'm assuming a slightly softer cup / easier initiation but that's a wild guess. More $$$, pretty package? Thanks in advance. 

Touted to be more consistent ignition. Other than that just more expensive

Been using Mag primers off and on depending on supply for quite sometime. 9mm Major. The chrono doesn't show an appreciable increase in speed if any, WS-6. I don't pay attention any longer I just load what I can find primer wise. Long as they hit the PF I'm satisfied.