Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hearing Protection Help

badlander

I would like your opinions on the hearing protection offered by Axil and ESPAmerica. I am looking for in the ear electronic protection that is waterproof so it can also be used hunting in inclement weather. I have no experience with either brand. The instructors at FrontSight Academy thought highly of the Axil brand and and a few folks wore them but had no experience with the ESP brand. I have talked to representatives of both brands but they were vague on side by side comparisons.  For the money they charge I hope to get a little better direction from you folks that are actually using their products. Thanks for the help.

I have no experience with either.  I would buy neither.  First off, they are way more expensive hen you need.  They don't do very much.  The best Axil only has 29 dB NRR IF you use the foam tips.  ESP is just blowing smoke.

If you are shooting USPSA or SCSA 29 dB NRR is NOT ENOUGH to prevent hearing loss.  Ask me how I know.  If you are an RO you need much more than that.

I wear Howard Leight 33 dB NRR disposable foam ear plugs, inserted properly.  I also wear either 30 dB NRR muffs over them, or 26 dB NRR electronic muffs over them.  That is enough to protect you from Open shooters.  With the electronics you can dial it down when running Open shooters and up for everybody else.  For hunting, just use the electronic muffs.

17 minutes ago, zzt said:

If you are shooting USPSA or SCSA 29 dB NRR is NOT ENOUGH to prevent hearing loss. 

The only use he mentioned was hunting. Second scentence.

A situation where you don’t want an over-the-ear muff, given the stock you’ll need to cheekweld against.

You’re not wrong about ROing Open guys, where doubling up on hearing protection is vital... but I’m pretty sure nobody’s throwing dozens of popple-holed spaceblaster shots at a deer. If they are, I want video. 😳

”Today on Shooting USA? Christian Sailer goes hunting with Team Infinity Outfitters!”

Edited by MemphisMechanic

If you're not going to use over the ear muffs, I would get some good quality molded urethane plugs.  Not the crap version that gets molded on the spot.  Go to a hearing professional and get molds made that are sent to a lab for professional quality plugs.  Those will provide a decent level of protection, will be comfortable for extended use, and will last pretty much forever. 

3 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

If you're not going to use over the ear muffs, I would get some good quality molded urethane plugs.  Not the crap version that gets molded on the spot.  Go to a hearing professional and get molds made that are sent to a lab for professional quality plugs.  Those will provide a decent level of protection, will be comfortable for extended use, and will last pretty much forever. 

^^^^This^^^^

I had one made for my Walkers Game ear and it works great. Fits like a glove, comfortable and really seals out the noise. Very easy to install and remove too. 

Edited by Farmer

17 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

I just had some made by PremEAR and they are great. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2020 at 11:15 AM, badlander said:

I would like your opinions on the hearing protection offered by Axil and ESPAmerica. I am looking for in the ear electronic protection that is waterproof so it can also be used hunting in inclement weather. I have no experience with either brand. The instructors at FrontSight Academy thought highly of the Axil brand and and a few folks wore them but had no experience with the ESP brand. I have talked to representatives of both brands but they were vague on side by side comparisons.  For the money they charge I hope to get a little better direction from you folks that are actually using their products. Thanks for the help.

Lots of good advice in this thread in terms of other options but I own the Axil Ghost Stryke Extremes so I can give you some feedback on those.

Overall, I like them for outdoor work. They come with the standard assortment of in-ear tip options so there should be something that fits you. The sound reproduction is pretty natural, aside from a bit of hiss/feedback when the wind starts blowing hard as there's nothing covering the mic. One weird thing is that other people's voices come through fine, but when I speak my voice sounds like a robot. It might be the positioning of the mic, I'm not sure. It's no more off-putting than how muffled my voice sounds when using non-electronic ears.

They're not enough protection to be using indoors - I tried it for a short match once and left with a headache. They'd be fine under a set of muffs.

They have Bluetooth connectivity which is neat I guess? I never use it.

They're in no way worth the $200 that Axil advertises them for on the site. They do slap discount codes all over their site/Instagram that bring the price down to around $120 which is way more reasonable. I'd probably buy them again.

On 10/16/2020 at 6:15 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

but I’m pretty sure nobody’s throwing dozens of popple-holed spaceblaster shots at a deer. 

YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME!!1!

• 4 months later...