Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First time to Nationals

OK, dufus question time: I don't get to town much. I've certainly never been to a Nationals.   What should I expect?  Do they send out a match booklet and squadding schedule or do you just find out when you get there?  Will there be side shoots?  I'm planning to take about 600 rounds for my limited gun and my lim 10 as a back-up.  I don't want  folks to suspect that I came to town on a load of pumpkins, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

bonedaddy,

If they're still doing what they did the last time I was at the nationals, the stages and squadding are a surprise until you get there. And, you would be DQ'd if you were found on the range before the competition actually commenced. I don't know if the new bosses are still doing this or not, but I'd sure check before I headed out to scope the stages.

be

They do offer 'squadding requests' and  over here, from time to time, the course books are sent out about 2 weeks before the match. I don't know why, and the only real help is that you can practise any unusual starts.

I just got a slot for this years limited nats, so too any info would be appreciated.

P.D.

Brian thanks!  Whew, I'm glad I asked!   I hope to do at least a little shooting before they DQ me :)   Surprise stages would add to the fun.  I'll work on some different draws, strong handweak hand and going prone.

Phil, I'll be the guy wearing the Groucho glasses and moustache, with tape over my name tag.  (just incase)

Last year they allowed range inspection before the match but it was a combined Nationals/Pan-Ams so it may revert this year. You will get a match book when you sign in, (should be at the convention center) which will show all the stages. Then there is a match briefing which will describe the stages in more detail and any differences from the match book. You will shoot over three (?) days, about 6 stages per day. And there should be a good mix of long targets, close ones, swinging targets, steel, drop turners etc. Definately cool, you'll have a great time

Pat

I take it there's a reason why the Las Vegas nationals filled up but there's always room for more shooters in Barry.

Everybody slams Barry/Quincy except my local shooters who have been there. They praise PASA as a shooting paradise, like shooting on a nice golf course. In California we are used to shooting on toxic waste dumps and in barren deserts.

Hey! Hey! Don't slam Quincy too much they treat the shooters phenomonally well. I was down there for the '98 North Americans when my friends truck broke down, while we were waiting for it to be fixed they found out we were here for the match. They offered to drive us out to the range to watch the shootoffs ( about a 20-25 min drive ) My friend declined as he wanted to stay with the truck so they drove me out to the range and he caught up after a speedy repair. They did all that because we were shoters. I doubt Vegas would give as good of service!

Besides if you get really bored you can always goto the sleazy bar and watch the worlds worst wet t-shirt contest :)

Pat

Quincy has STREETLIGHTS?   Man, I'm going to bring my good shirt!   There's a little berg not too far from here that has a couple of streetlights, but I got 86ed from there about 2 years ago for drive-by-paint-balling a few of the antelope. (how was I to know they were pets?)

Bonedaddy:

Do you think the guys would believe me if I told them there are no traffic lights in my town, Shoshoni, Wyoming?  Or would they find it strange that it is a 44 mile round trip to the grocery store? And yes, I have had antelope eating the grass in my front yard...