Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Replacing internal weights in rifle-length buffer

MoRivera

Hey all,

I tried posting this in a very old thread that I found here doing research but it didn't seem to bring it up to date, so apologies if this is redundant.

I have an AR with a 14.5" barrel and mid-length gas system.  I'm taking off the carbine tube and putting on an A2 tube and fixed rifle-length stock.  Up until now I settled on running an H1 buffer...more specifically an Armaspec captured recoil system that is an H1-equivalent.  Now with the longer tube I have gotten an RRA spacer so I could obviously still use the same one, but I also have a rifle-length buffer, and I have a set of internal buffer weights ranging from aluminum to steel to tungsten.  I'd actually like to use the Armaspec for a different build, so I changed internal weights in the rifle buffer and got it down from 5.0 oz. to 3.8 oz which by the 'book' is equivalent to an H1 carbine buffer in weight.  Spring I will be using is a David Tubb flat wire.

Should I expect the newly-weighted rifle buffer to run fine, and close to the H1 setup I had before?  Or will I run into problems running a lighter weight rifle-length buffer...like with a different length of travel or such?  Thanks.

Edited by MoRivera

Believe Tony is right. The 5.15oz (about) standard rifle buffer was designed for a much longer dwell time than you have in your 14.5” mid, so should be easy to make it run with a lighter weight. Don’t see it mentioned, if you have adjustable gas it’s a non issue.  Heck some of us run empty buffers. 

shoot it, see if your ejected brass location and condition has a sign of over speeding bolt or if it’s good, and you can tune from there if needed with your weights. 

23 hours ago, lwink said:

Believe Tony is right. The 5.15oz (about) standard rifle buffer was designed for a much longer dwell time than you have in your 14.5” mid, so should be easy to make it run with a lighter weight. Don’t see it mentioned, if you have adjustable gas it’s a non issue.  Heck some of us run empty buffers. 

shoot it, see if your ejected brass location and condition has a sign of over speeding bolt or if it’s good, and you can tune from there if needed with your weights. 

Not adjustable gas, just regular.  Okay, good to hear that it's at least a sensible approach.  Can always use the tube insert and various carbine buffers that I have as well if for some reason I just can't get the rifle buffer to where I'm happy.  Much thanks.