Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

pet loads for 625?

Lesliet

Hi, all!  

Working on developing more suitable loads for all the games I play, after shooting bowling pin loads at Steel Challenge in my 625.  *grin*  

I've been using HS-6 with great results for heavier stuff, seems to burn clean and consistent.  Tried my AA#2 loads, but in the revolver, and in .45ACP, they seem to generate a lot of yellow grit (taggant?  inert filler?)  that hangs up a speedy reload.  I'm committing to running revolver through 2021, as long as I have a working revolver...

Powder-wise, I don't seem to have much trouble getting whatever.  I have a few big jugs of TiteGroup, and a bunch of other powders besides HS-6.  

So, what I'm looking for is:  

1.  Light load for Steel Challenge/ outlaw steel where no pf is required. I have a mold for 200 grain round nose, and polycoat the resulting projectiles. 

2.  ICORE load   ( PF is 120 or better.  I probably want something with at least a little bit of recoil, but open to advice) 

3.  USPSA load, 165+ pf.   Not the ideal revolver for this game, but I'm still saving up for a 929 and accessories. In the meantime, I want the practice.  I have some 230 grain rn plated slugs to use, but not sure if there will be much supply there, my main supplier has been dry for a month now.  May end up having to use the handcast 200's, or break out the 230 grain TC mold. 

Hoping no one is bothered by this not being under "reloading", but I wanted revolver specific advice, don't need to cycle a slide, didn't want a lot of " not sure about a 625, but in my 1911, I...."  

Thanks in advance for all the help, I really appreciate getting the benefit of y'all's experience!

I've been afflicted with the sickness  to shoot major for uspsa through next years Nats, Limited 6 for the IRC.  The best major load I've found in my 5 inch 625 for major:

Brazos Bullets 230 rn  (actual of 234 +/-  .5 grains)

3.8 Bullseye

1.250 oal 
.469 taper crimp

does 730 fps with a very tight ES.

I tried 3.5 of Bullseye, but the ES opened a bit and 2 rounds out of six were below 705fps.  The recoil is soft enough at 730 I'll accept it for a good "Major margin".

Minor loads

3 grains of Bullseye

1.250 oal 

.469 taper crimp

does about 625 ,burns pretty clean and literally has almost no recoil 

Jason

Edited by Makicjf

Somebody recommended Trail Boss, and that powder worked great for the local Speed Steel match, today. Did a ladder test for the whole range from min to max on .45 ACP, the minimum makes 142 pf, with what feels like no recoil. Still seems to shoot pretty flat at the ranges I'm shooting at; no difference in poi between 18 yards and 25. Using a Lee handcast bullet in Hi-Tek, their 452-228-1r, and crimping the case just into the top lube groove.   Nice reloads, they just drop right in.  Going to have to try some of the other powders, especially Bullseye. The flake powders didn't meter well for me on 9mm stuff, but it may be less of an issue on the .45 .