Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Based on some of the questions raised on this forum, I'm thinking of creating a section in the new book on "basic fundamentals and techniques." I've heard quite a bit of feedback over the years that Practical Shooting was too advanced for some. While I did not intend to write an entry level book, I'm thinking I could keep my "flavor" and briefly cover the basics in the new book. Any opinions?

(And, just because I posted this question, don't think it's comin' out soon.)

:)

be

Its funny I first read the first book before I really started competing, I'd just started shooting Pistols really. And I thought it was the 'basics'...lol.

Its probably a good idea as I have heard many people comment on this. But I think you have your work cut out for you. Keeping the flavor while explaining the basics and making everyone happy is tricky. Most of the shooters I have heard comment on the first book being too complicated seem like they were looking for a 'How to' manual to winning. Do this, do that and you'll win. Do my draw, do my reload move like me and you'll be a champ too. They all want the simple 'store bought' answers, not being told to look inside themselves for the answers.

After writing some articles and the posts in this forum, I know how hard it is to put thoughts to 'paper'. So I don't envy you the task ahead, especially with all of us dying to see the finished product.

Pat

It would be nice to have a basic reference to guide new shooters.  I imagine such a reference would single-handedly increase membership and retention in the sport.  It needs to be done.

EXAMPLE:

There is a new shooter at our club.  Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.  He kept showing up.  Asking questions.  Wanting to buy new sights or a different gun.  Anything.

I shot his gun.  It wasn't his gun or his sights that were the problem.  He didn't understand about having a proper sight picture.  I got him squared away.  He later told me that in the brief time that I worked with him that I had helped him more than all the other people that he has been trying to learn form over the last year or so.  He could have jsut quit.

The foundation has to be there or there can be nothing to build on.

(Edited by Flexmoney at 2:06 am on June 7, 2001)

A large percentage of the shooters I see have basic, fundamental problems to work out and could benefit from learning or refreshing the basics. I did scorekeeping for Richmond's previous two matches and I saw about 400 scoresheets. I was astonished at all the people racking up multiple misses and no-shoots on a single stage. We just shot a 40-yard classifier with full targets and most people with Open guns had a few misses, the Limited guns had several.

But your previous book covers fundamentals, doesn't it? And J.M. Plaxco's book does. And Burkett's? And the Barnhart videos? It seems like the information is out there already and people aren't taking advantage of it.

(Edited by Erik Warren at 5:22 pm on June 7, 2001)

And some people can't be helped...lol

I set up a stage the other night with two 25yd poppers to start, man there were a few complaints. Its just not that hard, if you take your time and watch your sights. But instead of learning how to call shots and shoot accurately, they'd rather just whine and demand the targets be closer where they can hit them without trying (ooops starting to rant, gotta save it for Hate forum)

It never hurts to hear the same info in a new way, everybody take in information in different ways, some just need a different approach. I've learned from a few years of teaching, that if you have say 10 students you may have to explain the same thing 8 or 9 different ways for everyone to grasp it.

Pat

Brian,

Please, by all means, go for it.

If I were doing it I might draw up an outline of the different aspects of basic shooting.  Then ask a number of different pros what they suggest.  Present the different schools of thought and evaluate them.

The most important resource is the human resource.  Variety and competition spur innovation.

...I'd better shut-up before my boots get full.  My point is that you have the knowledge and experience to sift out the good from the bad.  And you have the connections to access, and present, many different view points.

(Edited by Flexmoney at 5:02 pm on June 7, 2001)

Sounds like a winner. When I read your book the first time I was scratching my head alot. It is a little deep at first read. After reading it and looking back it finally hits you. You have a different perspective on things than most of what is out there. A basics would be the cats A%^^. I think it would tie things all together.

I think that would be a great idea and a Brian Enos Basics book would truly be a best seller as 90% of the shooters in the world will never reach the level that you teach in your 1st book.

Time,money, commitment et al probably prevent alot of good shooters from entering into the competition arena.

I may be wrong but IMO the top pros just do the "basics" better than most shooters.