Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accuracy Problems

Andy9

I just started reloading this spring so i dont have a lot of experience.

My situation is, i have two pistols, a SP01 and a P09 (with a threaded barrel) the projectile is a 125 blue bullet and with a 3.7g load of Tight Group. 

through my SP01 the accuracy is acceptable at 1 to 2 inches at 15 yards by hand, but my P09 is 6 inches everything else the same.

Does increasing the charge help?

I'm otherwise at a loss, but may be it is a bad barrel? Inspecting it doesn't show any thing out of the ordinary.

1 hour ago, practical_man said:

How do they shoot with factory ammo using a similar bullet weight?

I havent run much factory ammo through it. The P09 is what my son uses and we had a kadet kit on it until this spring and that is when i started reloading.

could it be that the barrel is not fully worn in since i am using polymer bullets? So far approximately 2,000 rounds through it and may be 500 of that factory, but i was not really looking for accuracy tuning at the time. now that my son is getting better at the action shooting game, we are taking a look at the details and the measured accuracy is not encouraging through that gun.

Barrel is worn in.

And 3.7 gr titegroup is a normal load with titegroup and a coated bullet. I use 3.6, but have a very tight barrel.

What you didn't say is what's the OAL? That could make the difference in why your P09 isn't shooting accurately. I use 1.15".  I started at 1.135, but found 1.15" a little more accurate, and fed better. But anything from 1.135"-1.15" is good. Try different lengths, and see if that helps. And small changes in OAL, shouldnt change the pressures or velocity much. It didn't for me when I increased to 1.15".

11 hours ago, Andy9 said:

I just started reloading this spring so i dont have a lot of experience.

My situation is, i have two pistols, a SP01 and a P09 (with a threaded barrel) the projectile is a 125 blue bullet and with a 3.7g load of Tight Group. 

through my SP01 the accuracy is acceptable at 1 to 2 inches at 15 yards by hand, but my P09 is 6 inches everything else the same.

Blue Bullets are sized to .355 unless you special order. Most other coated bullets are sized to .356. A common complaint is that CZ barrels don't work well with .355 coated bullets. (That said, I know a lot of people who shoot .355 Blue Bullets through CZs with no problem whatsoever.)

13 hours ago, Postal Bob said:

Barrel is worn in.

And 3.7 gr titegroup is a normal load with titegroup and a coated bullet. I use 3.6, but have a very tight barrel.

What you didn't say is what's the OAL? That could make the difference in why your P09 isn't shooting accurately. I use 1.15".  I started at 1.135, but found 1.15" a little more accurate, and fed better. But anything from 1.135"-1.15" is good. Try different lengths, and see if that helps. And small changes in OAL, shouldnt change the pressures or velocity much. It didn't for me when I increased to 1.15".

I was at a 1.135 OAL with my SP01 and it ran great. however in the P09 the round nose bullet cought on the barrel grooves (didn't pass the plunk test) and i had to reduce the OAL to 1.09 for the round to work in the barrel. That new OAL still works fine for feed and accuracy in the SP01 and the feed and action are good in the P09, it just has poor accuracy.