Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weighted reloading bench

Intheshaw1

Has anyone even put weight on their reloading bench outside of what's stored on the shelves?

I'm planning on building a dedicated reloading bench thats about 2x4 feet. I already have an old desk that I use for repairs and cleaning but wanted to build a bench I could use to stand and reload.  The bottom shelf is going to be right on the ground and I'll be eventually building a box insert with shelves and drawers. 

The bench will be bolted to a wall in the basement but for added weight I'm thinking about making the bottom shelf a layer of plywood on the bottom then 2x4s then plywood but fill it with sand. I'm thinking I could get 100-150 pounds of sand in there.

I'm not sure it's needed but sand is pretty cheap and wouldn't take much more time to build in. Just wanted to see if anyone else has tried something like this and if they did if they had any tips on what worked.

Seems like overkill if you have it bolted to the wall.  But it's not going to hurt.  Anything that makes it stable is a good thing.  But rather than sand, I'd just store some bullets down there and restock as you use them.  5k 124g bullets weigh 89 lb and 5k 180 grain bullets weigh 128 lbs.

I'm planning on storing bullets on the bottom shelf, the sand would be between the plywood, the area normally not accessible.  So it would be plywood, then 2x4 to create sort of a bowl which I would fill with sand and then top it off with plywood to create the bottom shelf.

The only reason I was thinking sand is with the supply issues going on now I didn't was to rely on bullets to weigh the bench down. I have 10k plus of bullets now that I've been using to weigh down the desk that will be on that bottom shelf as well. But as that stock dwindles I didn't want that to impact the stability of my bench.

Yeah, it's probably overkill but I'll put up some pictures when it's done 😁

I think it is overkill.  A properly built bench should be stable on it own four feet.  I have two home mage benches and I hate wiggly work benches.  One is made with the legs and top cut from 2x6’s and cross braces from 2x4’s.  I added a couple screws into the studs in the wall and had to shim the legs as my shop floor is not level, it is rock solid.  

I know a guy that bolted his Dillon 550 to a 2x10 that is about 18” long and he clamps that to his kitchen table or a old 2x4 work bench with a 1/2” plywood top in his garage and makes some good quality ammo. 

1 hour ago, Rustygun said:

I think it is overkill.  A properly built bench should be stable on it own four feet.

I agree.

If the bench is bolted to the wall and you're making a platform at the bottom I think the sand is not necessary.

Not tried it, but if you are going into the wall/studs, unneeded, IMO. 

FYI, the casefeeder is not too loud for loading after wifey’s bedtime, but the desk screwed into studs on a shared wall has made reloading after ‘bedtime’ a no-no due to our dogs’ interpreting the wall shakes as thunder (the ultimate bad guy). 

On 10/14/2020 at 4:49 AM, Intheshaw1 said:

I'm planning on storing bullets on the bottom shelf, the sand would be between the plywood, the area normally not accessible.  So it would be plywood, then 2x4 to create sort of a bowl which I would fill with sand and then top it off with plywood to create the bottom shelf.

The only reason I was thinking sand is with the supply issues going on now I didn't was to rely on bullets to weigh the bench down. I have 10k plus of bullets now that I've been using to weigh down the desk that will be on that bottom shelf as well. But as that stock dwindles I didn't want that to impact the stability of my bench.

Yeah, it's probably overkill but I'll put up some pictures when it's done 😁

I have used concrete patio blocks (12"x12"x1" or 2") I bought from Home Depot stacked on the bottom shelf.

Heavier than sand and no mess, plus you can stack bullet boxes on top of them.

just say'in,

😀

Edited by Kenstone

8 hours ago, Kenstone said:

I have used concrete patio blocks (12"x12"x1" or 2") I bought from Home Depot stacked on the bottom shelf.

Heavier than sand and no mess, plus you can stack bullet boxes on top of them.

just say'in,

😀

Hmmmm, good thinking. Looks like the bricks cost about a buck more per 70 lbs vs a 70 lb bag of sand. I think I may even have a few laying around as well. 

I'm actually going to put the bricks 'in' the bottom shelf (queue zoolander meme) so it won't take up more space than needed. Hoping to build the bench this weekend but I've been saying that for weeks now....

If your up for a drive I have a huge stack of patio blocks you can have.  But I agree with those above its not necessary. I have a metal bench not connected to the wall and it only has my rifle bullet on bottom shelf (pistol on floor) and it is solid. I can run my press and chargemaster simultaneously. A simple bench bolted to the wall will be more than enough.

19 minutes ago, m700 said:

If your up for a drive I have a huge stack of patio blocks you can have.  But I agree with those above its not necessary. I have a metal bench not connected to the wall and it only has my rifle bullet on bottom shelf (pistol on floor) and it is solid. I can run my press and chargemaster simultaneously. A simple bench bolted to the wall will be more than enough.

I think the $10 cost of bricks won't get me past the state line for $10 in gas but thanks for the offer haha.

I'll hold off on it for now. I'll build my bottom shelf so I could possibly add weight later. I like to overbuild most things so that's why I figured I would add weight.