Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm win 231 compensated 3 ports 2011 load questions 115 or 124

glen455

Finally got to shoot my new to me used 2011 style frame with sti slide 3 port comp.

This is not a I need x power factor. 

The short oal is for my cz shadow 2 that is also getting a comp barrel on order.

Started with 1.13 oal 124 grain berry round nose win 231 4.0 gr  .

Shot about the same as. 

1.13 oal 124 grain berry round nose win 231 4.3 gr  . 

Ejection was maybe  2 - 3 feet from gun. Couple stove pipes not enough power to work the slide.

This is with a taylor tactical  8 # recoil spring then quickly went to the  7 # spring same thing. 

Wolf variable light springs are ordered. 

From what Ive read for a comp gun get a light bullet 115 or less.

Use slow burn comp powder. 

I would like to try to get the 231 to work within reason I have 13 pounds.

If I am wasting my time with 231 please advise what powder to use.

I have 5k + extreme 115 grain round nose and hollow points and the same 124.

Any advice thanks editing looking for max powder for 115 vs 124 .

IMG_0635-1512x2016.JPG

Edited by glen455

1 hour ago, glen455 said:

Finally got to shoot my new to me used 2011 style frame with sti slide 3 port comp.

This is not a I need x power factor. 

The short oal is for my cz shadow 2 that is also getting a comp barrel on order.

Started with 1.13 oal 124 grain berry round nose win 231 4.0 gr  .

Shot about the same as. 

1.13 oal 124 grain berry round nose win 231 4.3 gr  . 

Ejection was maybe  2 - 3 feet from gun. Couple stove pipes not enough power to work the slide.

This is with a taylor tactical  8 # recoil spring then quickly went to the  7 # spring same thing. 

Wolf variable light springs are ordered. 

From what Ive read for a comp gun get a light bullet 115 or less.

Use slow burn comp powder. 

I would like to try to get the 231 to work within reason I have 13 pounds.

If I am wasting my time with 231 please advise what powder to use.

I have 5k + extreme 115 grain round nose and hollow points and the same 124.

Any advice thanks editing looking for max powder for 115 vs 124 .

IMG_0635-1512x2016.JPG

I'm having very good luck with 231 in a 5", 4" 1911s and a Glock. But I'm loading the 124 flat nose. I'm loading it for the same reason.

Edited by Bobkoh

I have a good shooting buddy that’s using 4.55 grains of w-231 with 124 gr pd jhp at 1.12. He’s using a seven pound spring in a ck, never seen it malfunction. I am using the same gun and load except with 4.3 grs of aa#2 always runs like a top. I’ve tried all kind of different loads and the gun runs flat with these low power loads and still functions fine. Both loads are running around 134 pf.

I load 124Gr Xtreme FMJ's using 3.5Gr of 231 with a OAL of 1.10" and I shoot this same round in three 9mm pistols (all SIG's) and two PCC - AR's......These are all shot in SC so I cannot provide you a PF number.  This has been my go to round for 3 + years now after I found 2- 8lb sealed jugs of W231 on sale at a mom and pop gun store for $88.00 per 8lb. jug.....but remember - this was 3 years ago......

4.5 and 4.6 locked back the slide. Ejection a rainbow about 2 feet. 7# spring. I would like to switch to 115 gr and what powder for my comp?  This is a shoot steel targets for fun gun.  Thanks

in stock local 

VihtaVuori Powder 3N38 - 1lb

3N38-1

$35.46 ?

Winchester Powder Auto Comp - 8lb SUPERSALE

AC8

$167.22

other powder local https://www.brunoshooters.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=powder

I also have plenty of cci magnum small rifle primers.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC-XSecqgUw

Edited by glen455

11 hours ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

I load 124Gr Xtreme FMJ's using 3.5Gr of 231 with a OAL of 1.10" and I shoot this same round in three 9mm pistols (all SIG's) and two PCC - AR's......These are all shot in SC so I cannot provide you a PF number.  This has been my go to round for 3 + years now after I found 2- 8lb sealed jugs of W231 on sale at a mom and pop gun store for $88.00 per 8lb. jug.....but remember - this was 3 years ago......

Round nose? Flat I'm seating at 1.065. 

heres a burn rate chart https://winchesterpowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/burnratecolor.pdf

starting to load 115 rn with  Hodgdon HS-6 powder   starting at 6.6 gr. I will start with 8# spring and small rifle magnum primers, that appear to be working in my 2011 tested 25 . 2011 sized case just primer seated bulges out is that normal with no powder ? 

primer.jpg

Edited by glen455