Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 or 45 - not sure which way to go

A well Earled machine

I used to have a pair of 625s; a -? (Frame firing pin) & a V comp but now all I have are all the things to go with a 625; 100+ moons, BMT loader, holster(s), several k punkinheads and whatnot. I’m wondering if trying to get rid of the 45 stuff and go with a 929 & all its accruements is the best bet. I asked myself  “why do I wanna get back into Revo?” - I think it’s because there’s more to do, and since that’s true, a 6 shot is better cuz ya gotta do that much more!

I’ve been looking around for the last couple months and a 625JM is about as hard to find as a 929 and still pretty expensive so I kinda gotta be sure - I know I don’t want both. I guess I’m leaning towards a 625 - Ideas?

All depends on your goals, if you are just shooting for fun and have a bunch of 45 stuff and can find a gun for cheap, go for it. on the other hand if you want to be competetive in USPSA Revo or ICORE Limited or Open then a 8 shooter is a must. 

If you're only shooting Revo at local matches, I really enjoy my 625. At majors I shoot my 8 shot. There is an advantage with the 8. At the local level, there's not often someone classified close enough to you that the advantage matters in Revo.

--
Pat Jones
Firestone CO
USPSA #A79592

If you are going into USPSA, get a 929 or 627.  If you are going IDPA you best choice is a 4" 625.

ICORE, Limited 6 is best with a 625 (no required length and a 120 PF), Limited or Open get a 929 or 627, barrel length is your choice and a 120 PF.

I agree with you that one of the lures of shooting a Revolver is you can keep "busy" during transitions.  But the difference between 6 shots and 8 shots in a USPSA COF, which tends to 8 shot arrays, is pretty big.  Adding extra standing reloads or trying to game out 8 shot arrays by a factor of 6, usually requiring longer/harder shots trying to minimize those standing reloads, doesn't meet my definition of being busy.

Welcome Back.

Firstly,  I'd not make the 'mitsake' of selling you 625 accoutrements; no matter what you decide know, someday the allure of the 625 ensures that you'll have another.  Revo's are a virus and you are, obviously, not immune...

Good luck on your impossible decision:  I'll hazard a guess that within a year you have a 625, a 929(or 627) and are eyeing a new production 61o with the 6 inch bbl...

As others stated:  If you are going to shoot USPSA and Steel Challenge an 8 shot will be a much more enjoyable experience.  If you are looking into a crossover IDPA/USPSA revo a 625 JM or a 610  short bbl is the ticket.  If you are a lucky soul with a local ICORE Club, they can accommodate any of the above.   I'd say a competition revo shooter  needs , at minimum, a 4 inch 6 shot big bore625/610 ( or a 6 shot 686 with speed loaders) and an 8 shot short cartridge (9mm/ short 38 of your choice, short ".900 mid" or long) to be able to play all the games.  

then each one requires a back up... 

🙂

Jason

Edited by Makicjf
fat fingers