Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Going from Plated to Coated?

Chutist

Looks like FMJ's are getting pricey and hard to get.  Coated are out there at prices that make them pretty attractive.  My source for plated is weeks out.... Looks like BBI is still shipping pretty quick. 😉

Wondering what the issue will be changing over?  With something like the 125 BBI RN?  I know the load will change a bit.  

Do they feed okay in the MR. Bullet feeder?

Did you have to change your case flair to not "shave" the coating?

I ran them in my major .40 years ago...only thing I remember is them being a bit smokey and smelling funny! 🤣  

BBI does not have a 125gr RN - the 125gr is a TCN profile. The 135gr is a RN. 

Generally, loading coated bullets will let you run with less powder for the same PF than with equivalent FMJ bullet. In the case of N320, I have found it to be anywhere from 0.2gr-0.3gr of powder difference. The only issue with coated is generally the profiles are different than FMJ or plated bullets. TCN in the case of 125. Some guns like CZs and other Europeans guns that are throated to SAAMI specs will need to be loaded to a shorter OAL than FMJ or plated RN bullets. Probably not a huge issue since I think you have a Sig X5 Legion, but you'll want to plunk test and all that. 

As far as shaving goes, I would stick with coated bullets like BBIs and avoid any that have a lube groove, which basically creates an additional point on the bullet where the coating can be scraped. If you're using the Dillon powder expander, I find the factory expander plug to work OK for coated bullets - some say the Mr Bulletfeeder expander plug is better. I have both, and honestly I find it easier to run the press with the factory expander plug. If you do have issues where you need to expand deeper into the case, then use the Mr Bulletfeeder expander plug. I still try to keep my flair to a minimum (.383 vs. 393 like Dillon recommends for coated) and it has worked well with the BBIs. Your mileage may vary with other bullets. Just watch your crimp and stay above .377 up to .380 on crimp to minimize any swaging of the coated bullet, and you'll be good to go. 

No input on feeding with Mr. Bulletfeeder, but I know there are plenty of people out there that are loading coated with it without any issues.

11 hours ago, pealandco said:

BBI does not have a 125gr RN - the 125gr is a TCN profile. The 135gr is a RN. 

Generally, loading coated bullets will let you run with less powder for the same PF than with equivalent FMJ bullet. In the case of N320, I have found it to be anywhere from 0.2gr-0.3gr of powder difference. The only issue with coated is generally the profiles are different than FMJ or plated bullets. TCN in the case of 125. Some guns like CZs and other Europeans guns that are throated to SAAMI specs will need to be loaded to a shorter OAL than FMJ or plated RN bullets. Probably not a huge issue since I think you have a Sig X5 Legion, but you'll want to plunk test and all that. 

As far as shaving goes, I would stick with coated bullets like BBIs and avoid any that have a lube groove, which basically creates an additional point on the bullet where the coating can be scraped. If you're using the Dillon powder expander, I find the factory expander plug to work OK for coated bullets - some say the Mr Bulletfeeder expander plug is better. I have both, and honestly I find it easier to run the press with the factory expander plug. If you do have issues where you need to expand deeper into the case, then use the Mr Bulletfeeder expander plug. I still try to keep my flair to a minimum (.383 vs. 393 like Dillon recommends for coated) and it has worked well with the BBIs. Your mileage may vary with other bullets. Just watch your crimp and stay above .377 up to .380 on crimp to minimize any swaging of the coated bullet, and you'll be good to go. 

No input on feeding with Mr. Bulletfeeder, but I know there are plenty of people out there that are loading coated with it without any issues.

Maybe I'm misreading it? :

https://thebluebullets.com/product-category/9mm-38-super-355/125-gr-round-nose/

Roger's Better PC bullets and Precision coated bullets are accurate and do not smell bad when fired.  Both are better than the Blue, Bayou, Summers Enterprises, J-Ames and others I have used.  Whether you will have to tinker with your load or not depends on which plated bullet you were using, how thick the plating was and the hardness of the lead.  Same goes for coated.  The PC bullets are 21 B.  Precision's are lower, around 13-16 if I recall correctly.

I use a Mr. Bulletfeeder funnel/expander set to make a microscopic flair.  I don't shave any coating.  I put the micro flair on because it turns out some manufacturers are not honest about their sizing.  If it says .356" it should not be .357".  356" and .401" do not require any flair from the MBF expander.

Damm you guys are faster than my wife to tell me I'm WRONG.  It's okay, I'm used to it. 🤣

@zzt

If I have the right company... ;) 

https://pc-ammo.com/   They say "in store only at this time".

Precision is a couple of hours from me... I'll reach out and see if they will let me do a local pick up. 😉

I figured there had to be somebody making Bullets in TEXAS! 😁

Thank you! 👍

1 hour ago, zzt said:

Whether you will have to tinker with your load or not depends on which plated bullet you were using

I've had good success with XTreme 115 Heavy Plated RN in 9mm when JHP dried up. Descent price but you pay for shipping.

On 10/13/2020 at 10:39 AM, Chutist said:

Damm you guys are faster than my wife to tell me I'm WRONG.  It's okay, I'm used to it. 🤣

@zzt

If I have the right company... ;) 

https://pc-ammo.com/   They say "in store only at this time".

Precision is a couple of hours from me... I'll reach out and see if they will let me do a local pick up. 😉

I figured there had to be somebody making Bullets in TEXAS! 😁

Thank you! 👍

try this link: https://www.kingshooters.com/bulk-pc-bullets-not-ammunition/bulk-pc-bullets-3014/pc-9mm-124gr-rn-size-356-3500cnt-bulk-box-no-lube-groove-30148135