Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Indiana USPSA, shooting culture, etc.

Considering a move to Indiana from Oklahoma, likely living in or around Noblesville.  Looks like there are a reasonable number of matches and ranges within a few hours.  Also looks like my NFA items are allowed.

Anything else about the state or Indianapolis to know or consider?

Just now, technetium-99m said:

Considering a move to Indiana from Oklahoma, likely living in or around Noblesville.  Looks like there are a reasonable number of matches and ranges within a few hours.  Also looks like my NFA items are allowed.

Anything else about the state or Indianapolis to know or consider?

It’s close to Ohio.👍😂 But seriously there are several local matches near Cincinnati in Ohio that is near the Indiana border. This effectively doubles you Shooting opportunities 

Within 2 hours of Noblesville you can shoot a USPSA Match every Sunday

There are several good clubs that host matches. There are also several Steel Challenge matches that are

available to shoot.

Warsaw, Fort Wayne, Atlanta Conservation Club, South Central, WVPPS, North Porter Co

There are two indoor clubs one in Avon the other in Lafayette, and there are a couple of Ohio Clubs that you can get to in two hours 

as well.

Area 5, the IN Section and Ohio Section are very active

• 1 month later...
On 10/12/2020 at 1:17 PM, technetium-99m said:

That it is, and I will also have to actually deal with snow which as an Okie is not really a frequent problem.

Buy a dedicated set of winter tires and rims.  Put them on in mid December, take them off around mid March.

You'll thank me later.

PS I moved to OH from south central Kansas, so I'm speaking from experience.

Edited by SGT_Schultz

2 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

When I lived in Great Bend for a couple of years working the oil fields I lived through the biggest damn snows this Southerner has ever seen in person. It was pretty cool actually, since we don't get that down here. Thankfully I had a 4WD but I never thought of buying snow tires. Inexperience, I guess.

5 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

Buy a dedicated set of winter tires and rims.  Put them on in mid December, take them off around mid March.

You'll thank me later.

3 hours ago, ima45dv8 said:

When I lived in Great Bend for a couple of years working the oil fields I lived through the biggest damn snows this Southerner has ever seen in person. It was pretty cool actually, since we don't get that down here. Thankfully I had a 4WD but I never thought of buying snow tires. Inexperience, I guess.

Central Indiana doesn't get that bad, hell we usually don't more than 2-4 inches of snow maybe 2 or 3 times a year

5 hours ago, ima45dv8 said:

I had a 4WD but I never thought of buying snow tires. Inexperience, I guess.

People think I exaggerate when I describe the difference they make over all season or even "all terrain" tires but the improvement is real and noticeable just as much in a AWD vehicle as it is in a 2WD vehicle.

2 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

People think I exaggerate when I describe the difference they make over all season or even "all terrain" tires but the improvement is real and noticeable just as much in a AWD vehicle as it is in a 2WD vehicle.

Truth. Having snow tires is FAR more important than having AWD.  I would rather have a 2WD sedan with Blizzaks than any 4x4 (Jeep, 4 Runner, Audi Quattro, whatever) with all terrain or even M&S tires. If you've never driven on snow and ice with snow tires, you have no idea what you're missing.

Watch this to see what we're talking about:

Day-um! I never had something like that available way back in the other century. Very impressive.

Technology marches on. . . .

I had to rely on my 4x4 with a bed loaded with hay bales for added weight and traction. These definitely would have been worked into my budget.

29 minutes ago, ima45dv8 said:

Day-um! I never had something like that available way back in the other century. Very impressive.

Technology marches on. . . .

I had to rely on my 4x4 with a bed loaded with hay bales for added weight and traction. These definitely would have been worked into my budget.

That video you just saw is absolutely legit.  I drive 35 miles of state and county highways through flat farmland each way to and from work.  In the mornings I'm headed westbound at 5 AM and the plows are still working on the more heavily used eastbound lanes.  I've driven in 4 - 6 inches of fresh snow in my beater Honda Fit with Firestone Winterforce tires and not only did not get stuck, I averaged 35 mph.  Windy days often leave drift on the lane downwind from a field and those Firestones cut right through.

But like the video showed, the absolute biggest difference is in stopping and turning.  They are money well spent.

The trick is to pick a set of tires that are narrower and have taller sidewalls but a smaller rim diameter than the summer tires.  That makes it easier for the tires to dig instead of float and keeps the overall diameter of the tire/rim combo very close to the original.  In my little Honda I use 205/50R16 summer tires and 185/70R14 winter tires.  When you do the math the difference in diameter is just a couple of mm, which keeps the speedo and ABS computer happy.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, happygunner77 said:

Hmm....never used winter tires in IN since 2001. Just used all season and it's been fine.

Didn't say they don't work.  I did say winter tires are better and provide wider safety margin.  Not my opinion either, it's a fact.

I mean, if all seasons were just fine the Ohio Highway Patrol would not spend the money to put legit winter tires on their fleet every year come this time.