Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

School me on race holsters for USPSA

d3ydx3

I've been shooting Limited w/ my BUL Armory 2011 for the last few months using an RHT holster. Decided to upgrade to the DAA Alpha-X. So far I've been pretty impressed with the holster, but it is a change from a standard holster. I do have a few questions around best practices for using a race holster in Limited and when to lock/unlock. Here's my thought process. Let me know if anything is wrong.

• Holster will be locked prior to the LAMR command.
  • When given the LAMR command, I would unlock the holster, LAMR, and re-holster leaving it unlocked. What are some ways you guys make certain you've made contact with the retention block or whatever the equivalent is on your race holster? I'm thinking eye contact and waiting to feel the slight click that I get on my Alpha-X. I've run into a few occasions during dry fire where I didn't make good contact, and the gun was ready to fall out. 
  • When the timer starts, obviously drawing and shooting.
  • When given the Unload and Show Clear command, re-holstering, and keeping my hand on the gun, while sweeping the lock on the Alpha-X with my finger to ensure the gun is locked in the holster. 

Anything that I'm missing? 

Thanks!

On the LAMR I always engage the lock after re-holstering to verify its in the block correctly, then disengage the lock.  The lock will only engage if the gun is seated correctly.

For me its cheap insurance to know that when i remove my hand the gun isnt gonna fall out.

If i have to move a bit before drawing then the lock stays engaged until its draw time.  The lock is in a nice enough spot my middle finger disengages it when reaching for the grip.

I prefer to draw before move/step/run/whatever so its always unlocked after lamar. If you prefer to keep it locked get the jrholster w/ autolock/unlock function. 

eta. Either way you need to learn and practice the correct safe way of holstering. 

Edited by BoyGlock

Safariland 015 holster has a very slick lock and release mechanism.  It can be locked before or after the LAMR command and can be disengaged during the draw stroke with practice.  I have run it both ways depending on the start position (sitting for example), and found no discernable difference in time to first shot based on whether the locking mechanism is engaged or not.