Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who makes the lightest PCC?

Sigs are heavy.  Do you want to buy or build? Look up the weight and compair the weights. Just about every ar type pcc will be lighter.

There are things you can do to lighten them up . Change the stock and forearm fore example. FYI the fore mentioned lead star is actually heaver

They beef up the parts then cut all those meet windows.  End result it's heaver than a same dressed up jp. 

Edited by AHI

Build one.  Taccom 5.25 ULW barrel, their 10/16, and any carbon handguard.  Under 6lbs likely increases dot movement so load tuning and buffer choice plays in to the mix.  So going "light" comes at a price for 125pf+.  Smoke makes a nice light carbon fixed stock.  My gun is 6.5, complete Brekke front end, and this is all personal preference.  I too found "off the shelf" heavy when I got started.

2 hours ago, AHI said:

Sigs are heavy.  Do you want to buy or build? Look up the weight and compair the weights. Just about every at type pcc will be lighter.

There are things you can do to lighten them up . Change the stock and forearm fore example. FYI the store mentioned lead star is actually heaver

They beef up the parts then cut all those meet windows.  End result it's heaver than a same dressed up jp. 

Help me understand how a 5.3 pound leadstar is heavier than a 6.8 pound jp? Leadstars are by far the way to go. Ready out of the box and shoot very well. I think the gas piston is more of a pain to keep clean on a MPX. Glock mags are available every where and the leadstar will run on any brand of glock mag. $200 cheaper too. As for the JP it comes in at 6.8 pounds and about equal in cost if you dont upgrade anything.

Edited by Diver123

Put the same ultra light hand guard on each. Put the same ultra light stock on each. Fact first hand weighed each. The jp was 9 oz less than the lead star.

This is not as advertised. This is dressed the same as stated.

I recommend if you want light build it yourself.

Edited by AHI

I'm not sure who makes the lightest PCC, that wasn't one of my goals when I bought my JP.  Since then, shooting rimfire carbines at a steel challenge enlightened me to the advantages of a lighter gun.  I bought the JP ultralight barrel - a 5" with a sleeve along with a Smoke composites 12" CF handguard - put it on a JP upper - the difference is unbelievable!  The whole gun (GMR-15, with ACE stock, holosun 510C, magwell, short stroke buffer with steel weights) weighs 5lbs, 10 ounces (I think).  The biggest difference is where the weight was lost - from the front of the gun.  To me this is the best of both worlds, light weight upper for steel challenge or USPSA matches, the heavier upper (14.5 SS with welded comp) for falling steel.  

I'm curious how this weight stacks up against others, especially the Leadstar - that's a cool looking gun.  

I haven’t seen a single Leadstar in the DFW area run reliably.

All the JP’s appear to run reliably.

I run a Brekke Custom / Smoke Composites front end and it is awesome.

The rest of the parts don’t matter much - the barrel and hand guard are what slow people down because they are the furthest from the point of rotation and ergonomically are the hardest to support.

On 10/13/2020 at 6:48 AM, zzt said:

My Leadstar Prime is under 5 lbs. with Wiland LLW barrel and carbon fiber handguard.  With the 16" SS barrel it is an ounce or two over.

The specs on this gun call out a Hyperfire trigger with a Radion Talon safety? Those don't work together, how is that?

image.png.8fd2a845b4864b804c14e7614228f7eb.png

Edited by pitvpr
On 10/13/2020 at 6:48 AM, zzt said:

My Leadstar Prime is under 5 lbs. with Wiland LLW barrel and carbon fiber handguard.  With the 16" SS barrel it is an ounce or two over.

The specs on this gun call out a Hyperfire Eclipse with a Radion Talon safety? Those don't work together, how is that?

image.png.8fd2a845b4864b804c14e7614228f7eb.png

27 minutes ago, pitvpr said:

The specs on this gun call out a Hyperfire Eclipse with a Radion Talon safety? Those don't work together, how is that?

Well my Prime has a Hiperfire Eclipse and the safety that looks like a Radian Talon Ambi installed for 45 degree operation.  It does not fire in the safe position.  Maybe it doesn't work in 90 degree config.  I don't know, nor do I care.  Why would you think a manufacturer would sell a gun if the safety didn't work properly?

Here is what Hipefire has to say about it. "Safeties that MAY work in certain configurations. One configuration may allow the trigger to fire on safe, the other orientation may not. This is why we DO NOT recommend these selectors, and trying them is at your own risk. HIPERFIRE assumes zero liability or responsibility to issues resulting from the use of these safeties."

On 10/11/2020 at 12:49 PM, Diver123 said:

As for the JP it comes in at 6.8 pounds and about equal in cost if you dont upgrade anything.

Confirming data point:  My JP GMR-15 stock factory build, 16" barrel with the compensator removed, standard handguard, etc., fitted with a Holosun 510C and an empty Glock 26 mag weighs exactly 7.0 pounds.

On 10/11/2020 at 9:16 AM, AHI said:

Sigs are heavy.  Do you want to buy or build? Look up the weight and compair the weights. Just about every ar type pcc will be lighter.

There are things you can do to lighten them up . Change the stock and forearm fore example. FYI the fore mentioned lead star is actually heaver

I did a few things to lightened my MPX down, changed the handguard to a carbon fiber one that reduced some weight, it still has the same butt stock from factory I may changed that as well.. Need to post a photo of the PCC so Lead Star, Battle Arms and JP? 

@zzt

Yes I have read the HP disclaimer. 

In a nut shell, I am a big fan of HP triggers and prefer the Radian safety. I have two PCC's right now. both have HP riggers, one is an older 24ECL model and it works with the Radian safety, the newer HP "Hipertouch trigger is s slightly different design and will not work with the Radian safety, doesn't allow the trigger to function at all. 

I was just curious since I'm building a third gun and trying to hunt down a safety that I like as much as the Radian. 

Edited by pitvpr
3 hours ago, pitvpr said:

I was just curious since I'm building a third gun and trying to hunt down a safety that I like as much as the Radian. 

Well if you like the Leadstar lowers you know both will work together.

• 2 weeks later...