Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case gauge

lroy

Plunking every round into the barrel has gotten old. I was looking into picking up a hundo gauge. I shoot coated 1.18 in my 2011. 

Am I correct in thinking the hundo xl is the right one? Seems like it's for longer lengths, but required to work with coated bullets. Will this gauge diameter as well as the length? 

Case gauges are primarily for the diameter of the round, not the length. 

For the OAL, trust your press...your rounds should be a bit shorter than your chamber anyway...if you are loading them up to exact chamber length, you are asking for trouble.

Plunking every round into the barrel has gotten old. I was looking into picking up a hundo gauge. I shoot coated 1.18 in my 2011. 

Am I correct in thinking the hundo xl is the right one? Seems like it's for longer lengths, but required to work with coated bullets. Will this gauge diameter as well as the length? 
XL is what you need for 40 major, correct

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, GrumpyOne said:

Case gauges are primarily for the diameter of the round, not the length. 

For the OAL, trust your press...your rounds should be a bit shorter than your chamber anyway...if you are loading them up to exact chamber length, you are asking for trouble.

Well that would explain my last match being a FTF fest.

If 1.18 is recommended OAL, what should my press be set to optimally to account for variance?

The easiest way I have found is to determine oal is take a spent case, not sized or anything, shove a projectile on to the end of it, then push this into the chamber until the bullet is seated all the way. Then measure that case, that’s your max oal for that chamber and projectile. Back off your loading oal the desired amount from the max, example .015 below max oal. 

Yes xl40 does longer rounds, that would be the one you want.

Edited by Tnbb33