Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OAL? Crimp? Anything out of the ordinary for the P320 X5 Legion?

Chutist

On 10/10/2020 at 5:51 PM, HesedTech said:

Now as I read your additional posts it seems what you actually wanted was a tried and true starting point. By doing so it shortens the development time, but in my opinion eliminates the fun and joy of experimenting on your own to find the ultimate perfect load for your gun. 

That is what I was looking for...  known good loads.  👍

Development is fine if you have the time and a place to test.  I don't have much extra time and what I do have, I'd like to spend on shooting or dry fire.  😉. It's okay, I'll figure it out.... 

Edited by Chutist

11 hours ago, Chutist said:

That is what I was looking for...  a known good loads.  👍

Development is fine if you have the time and a place to test.  I don't have much extra time and what I do have, I'd like to spend on shooting or dry fire.  😉. It's okay, I'll figure it out.... 

I am new to reloading and finding a significant difference in OAL with the type of brass I use.  I would try and use all the same headstamp starting out if you are loading mixed range brass.

On 10/9/2020 at 8:43 AM, George16 said:

If I were you, I’d buy the Lee Udie instead of the EGW. It’s the same exact die without paying almost double the amount. The EGW is made by Lee for them.

Yep Al told it was. Sorry I missed this

@OptimiStick

I'll be really interested in your results out of the X5.  

I ran 4.0 VV N320 with a 124gr RN FMJ 1.142 OAL today and it ran GREAT.  I found out my Chrono Screens are MIA after my move so I don't have velocity data.  

That's a book load from VV so I wasn't too worried. 😉  Their numbers say it should be about 135pf.  From "feel" I believe it... not worried that it would make 125pf.  ( I see a LabRadar in my future...)

@Rich406 Thank you! :)

Edited by Chutist

• 1 month later...

Don't believe all the BS about only crimp to take out the bell. With coated bullets the most important thing is to bell the case mouth more so as not to scrape the coating off while seating. Crimping .378-.379 is what I use for coated bullet and jacketed. I tested thousands of rounds and never had an accuracy issue with coated bullets crimped even at .356. Not crimping enough can cause feeding issues or they won't pass a case gauge check because of not crimping enough. Over crimping .374 or less won't allow the case to headspace in the barrel properly and can cause the case to actually go into the rifling. This can cause the firing pin not striking the primer enough to cause ignition. Search my name for my spreadsheet and you can look at test data from thousands of rounds tested by me in my ransom rest and my guns.

37 minutes ago, Darrell said:

Don't believe all the BS about only crimp to take out the bell. Not crimping enough can cause feeding issues. Over crimping .374 or less won't allow the case to headspace in the barrel properly

?😂 You literally described crimping just enough to remove the bell.

5 hours ago, Sarge said:

?😂 You literally described crimping just enough to remove the bell.

the bell is .383, taking the bell out is .380, .001-.002 crimp is .379-.378. Factory crimps at .375 to .378 on most rounds I checked.

Edited by Darrell

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2020 at 6:49 AM, Darrell said:

Don't believe all the BS about only crimp to take out the bell. With coated bullets the most important thing is to bell the case mouth more so as not to scrape the coating off while seating. Crimping .378-.379 is what I use for coated bullet and jacketed. I tested thousands of rounds and never had an accuracy issue with coated bullets crimped even at .376. Not crimping enough can cause feeding issues or they won't pass a case gauge check because of not crimping enough. Over crimping .374 or less won't allow the case to headspace in the barrel properly and can cause the case to actually go into the rifling. This can cause the firing pin not striking the primer enough to cause ignition. Search my name for my spreadsheet and you can look at test data from thousands of rounds tested by me in my ransom rest and my guns.

"crimped even at .356". Should read .376, wouldn't let me edit the typo

Edited by Darrell

Sig Sauer P320 X5 Legion setup for Carry Optics

Blue Bullets 147 grain Flat Point

3.0 grains VV N320

Crimp - .377

Overall Length - 1.115 (TTi +5 basepads on the 17 round magazines)

Velocity - 910 fps

Power Factor - 133.7

Standard declarations apply regarding use at your own risk, not responsible for blowing up your gun, blah, blah blah.

NOTE:  Watch for brass from XTREME as the internal case capacity is smaller which will cause higher pressures.  My DAA powder check die kept "dinging" so I'd throw the charge on the scale.  For the first two times this happened, the scale displayed the right weight so I thought no big deal.  Then the third time it happened, the headstamp was check.... XTREME.  Went online to find that the brass is thicker or in some instances "stepped" to reduce capacity.  Went back and found the other loaded XTREME cases and broke them down, recovering the powder and bullets.

1 hour ago, BillChunn said:

NOTE:  Watch for brass from XTREME as the internal case capacity is smaller which will cause higher pressures.  My DAA powder check die kept "dinging" so I'd throw the charge on the scale.  For the first two times this happened, the scale displayed the right weight so I thought no big deal.  Then the third time it happened, the headstamp was check.... XTREME.  Went online to find that the brass is thicker or in some instances "stepped" to reduce capacity.  Went back and found the other loaded XTREME cases and broke them down, recovering the powder and bullets.

My buddy's open gun got locked up every time an xtreme case was fired.  Had to pound it out.  Now he tosses them and no issues.