Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OAL? Crimp? Anything out of the ordinary for the P320 X5 Legion?

Chutist

It doesn’t matter what gun you are loading for the process is the same.

1: determine OAL by “plunk” testing.

2: crimp no more than needed to get rid of the funnel bell. Leave little to no dents in bullet.

3. Chrono to make sure it meets PF.

That’s all there is to it.

The hard part is perfecting your reloading process for consistent finished ammo.

Edited by HesedTech

4 hours ago, HesedTech said:

2: crimp no more than needed to get rid of the funnel bell. Leave little to no dents in bullet.

The hard part is perfecting your reloading process for consistent finished ammo.

I'll tried as little crimp as possible, except with the Glocks we tried it in, I got bullet set back. Bullets are Berry plated and this is a concern

With the 124 grain flat nose, I'm seating to 1.065, and everything is fine except with his wolf barreled Glock. 

Edited by Bobkoh

Just now, Bobkoh said:

I got bullet set back.

Bullet set back is because your die is not sizing small enough to provide neck tension. 

These dies work great:

Dillon, Lee undersize, EGW all work perfectly. In my experience the Mighty Armor 9mm die works okay with .357 Bullets.

4 hours ago, HesedTech said:

Bullet set back is because your die is not sizing small enough to provide neck tension. 

These dies work great:

Dillon, Lee undersize, EGW all work perfectly. In my experience the Mighty Armor 9mm die works okay with .357 Bullets.

Edit: found the EGW, thanks. Have to give it a try although I hate over working brass, such is life! 

Edited by Bobkoh
Found the answer

5 hours ago, Bobkoh said:

Edit: found the EGW, thanks. Have to give it a try although I hate over working brass, such is life! 

If I were you, I’d buy the Lee Udie instead of the EGW. It’s the same exact die without paying almost double the amount. The EGW is made by Lee for them.

2 hours ago, George16 said:

If I were you, I’d buy the Lee Udie instead of the EGW. It’s the same exact die without paying almost double the amount. The EGW is made by Lee for them.

I remember reading that the Lee U die was .002 under and the EGW was .001, is that not he case?

They’re one and the same. EGW is a rebadged Lee made for them.

I had both at one time. Specs are the same so. I sold the EGW for the amount I paid for it and bought a Lee audience for $16.

Edited by George16

1 hour ago, HesedTech said:

It really isn’t an issue with normal 9mm loads. But I think you will find these dies will make more consistent ammo. 

Talked with an old friend who used to be the QA manager at Ruger. Normal dies do not overwork the brass, in turn a "small base" die for rifle and undersized pistol sizers do over work the brass. This leads to developing fractures in the case which is why some 9mm loads blow up. This is not supposition, this is direct data from one of the guys that loaded the pill loads to test Ruger products.

I think I'm going to pass on the undersized brass and sort it out another way.

Edited by Bobkoh

On 10/8/2020 at 5:58 PM, HesedTech said:

I beg to differ...

The guns are a system, some are sensitive to other factors.  OAL for feeding and magazine fit, crimp for chambers, sizing, bullet type, etc...

THAT was my question.... For the Sig X5, the answer maybe - "not sensitive, they run everything"

For example - Load for a Para .45 based on "Plunk test" and get back to me when the OAL you loaded won't go in the mags. 

Newer guns seem to be better sorted...

100K plus rounds, I think I have the basics. 😉  But always ready to learn. :)

7 minutes ago, Chutist said:

I beg to differ...

The guns are a system, some are sensitive to other factors.  OAL for feeding and magazine fit, crimp for chambers, sizing, bullet type, etc...

Completely agree mag extensions can be sensitive to OAL for proper operation as well. Does anyone know there is an OAL spec for some mag extensions?  I didn’t know and it didn’t even occur to me there could be one.  Another aspect is where the bullet engages the feed ramp for a specific gun.  It’s not just about plunk tests.  

7 hours ago, Bobkoh said:

Talked with an old friend who used to be the QA manager at Ruger. Normal dies do not overwork the brass, in turn a "small base" die for rifle and undersized pistol sizers do over work the brass. This leads to developing fractures in the case which is why some 9mm loads blow up. This is not supposition, this is direct data from one of the guys that loaded the pill loads to test Ruger products.

lol, I shoot split cases that slip past my QC one last time on purpose! You're worrying for no reason.

Edited by 4n2t0

23 minutes ago, 4n2t0 said:

lol, I shoot split cases that slip past my QC one last time on purpose! You're worrying for no reason.

Right, so that's your view over a professional that was a technical editor for American Rifleman before going to Ruger. Best of luck, I sort cracked cases out before reloading and I've seen thousands over 40+ years of handgunning starting in IPSC in the 70s.  

16 minutes ago, Bobkoh said:

Right, so that's your view over a professional that was a technical editor for American Rifleman before going to Ruger. Best of luck, I sort cracked cases out before reloading and I've seen thousands over 40+ years of handgunning starting in IPSC in the 70s.  

Well, I guess 40+ years hasn't taught you very much.

Best of luck to you as well.

Cheers!

Edited by 4n2t0

"OAL? Crimp? Anything out of the ordinary for the P320 X5 Legion?"

I started this not thinking it would cause any controversy.... once again I was wrong. 🤣

I was hoping that with the X5 being very popular somebody would come back with :

"I'm loading.  

XX OAL with 125 FMJ 

Using XX for a crimp

X.X grains of WonderPowder 

and getting 135 PF. I haven't had any feeding issues my X5...."

I loaded up a VV N320 Load exactly from their data.  I'll just go test... 😉

Edited by Chutist

13 minutes ago, Chutist said:

"OAL? Crimp? Anything out of the ordinary for the P320 X5 Legion?"

I started this not thinking it would cause any controversy.... once again I was wrong. 🤣

I was hoping that with the X5 being very popular somebody would come back with :

"I'm loading.  

XX OAL with 125 FMJ 

Using XX for a crimp

X.X grains of WonderPowder 

and getting 135 PF. I haven't had any feeding issues my X5...."

I loaded up a VV N320 Load exactly from their data.  I'll just go test... 😉

Let’s start, shall we 😝.

1.125” OAL with 124 Gr JHP from PD, 4.0 Gr Sport Pistol, .378-.379 crimp ( just to remove the flare/bell)

1056 ave FPS for 130.94 PF 

Edited by George16
Spelling

1 minute ago, George16 said:

Let’s start, shall we 😝.

1.125” OAL with 124 Gr JHP from PD, 4.0 Gr Sport Pistol, .378-.379 crimp ( just to me over the flare/bell)

1056 ave FPS for 130.94 PF 

Thank you so much. :)

👍 😉

9 hours ago, Chutist said:

Thank you so much. :)

👍 😉

Chutist

I wasn’t trying to be controversial, but I admit it was a bit sarcastic although the methodology was true.

Now as I read your additional posts it seems what you actually wanted was a tried and true starting point. By doing so it shortens the development time, but in my opinion eliminates the fun and joy of experimenting on your own to find the ultimate perfect load for your gun. 

After shooting over 6k of rounds, in practice and competition, my son has discovered a certain brand of bullet and profile occasionally would miss feed in his PCC. Sadly thousands of rounds of practice did not reveal this. It was only in the heat of rapid close target competition with a partial mag did this come to light.  Cost him points and positions in the match. And yet this particular bullet profile works perfect in all our various brands of pistols. 

Boomstick...

OAL and magazine capability is always a part of the testing process. The good news is most 9mm factory guns (we’re not talking Open guns) are chamber limited before they become mag limited. However, I’m sure someone will disagree here and have some gun which is the exception.