Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vertical Slide Ride Mount and Thumb Rest

IVC

Must have been answered many times..., but how do you set up a vertical C-More Slide Ride AND a thumb rest when you're a righty and both of those are on the left side of the frame? 

I'm preparing/collecting parts for a custom Open build and today both my Slide Ride and the thumb rest (the GoGuns one, can't type the name because forum bot will remove it) were dropped off by UPS. I already had a Cheely vertical/offset mount (I think it's called "horizontal offset") that I bought several years ago, but never used. If I line up the two brackets, the body of the optics sits on top of the thumb rest and appears to interfere with the thumb itself. It is almost as if they would have to be mounted next to each other, which would then put the optics way up front. 

There must be a solution to this puzzle. I hope it's not that "it can't be done" or "become a lefty." I don't mind a bit of extra cost for the mounts, but it would be frustrating to have to change the setup based on such a simple mechanical issue.

To be clear, the pictures of the guns above feature what most refer to a HORIZONTAL or 90* mount. Vertical implies the usual/ upright set-up. 

That being said, my first open gun had a horizontal mount with a Go-Gun and a slide racker on the left.  There was not a lot of margin to get the thumbs out of the way. 

6 hours ago, Bwilmot said:

Gg thumb rest prob won’t be the best choice for that set up. Daa or aerredondo would work better

4 hours ago, molson said:

Seems to work fine for me 8).

Mike

Looks like I'll have to change one of the two - either a different thumb rest, or a different mount (the one in the last photo is different, it's not offset to the back). 

2 hours ago, Bwilmot said:

I ended up dumping that sideways c more and going with the DPP and never looked back. Lot more room for you grip.

I would prefer to keep it very close to the bore axis, if possible, so I don't have to deal with the large offsets at close ranges. But, I might have to give in and just use the standard mount if I can't make it work.

From the photos, though, it looks like I can make it work if I replace one of the two mounts. I'll get in touch with some local Open shooters when I run into them to see if I can check out their setups. Didn't realize it was going to be a problem. 

5 hours ago, Balakay said:

To be clear, the pictures of the guns above feature what most refer to a HORIZONTAL or 90* mount. Vertical implies the usual/ upright set-up. 

Haha, I was wondering about that since I saw it on the description of the mount I have. It said "horizontal" but it was what I would consider "vertical." I was looking at the direction of the base plane, so I would call this "vertical." If it's industry standard nomenclature, I guess I'll have to start calling it "horizontal." 🙂 Oh, well... 

1 hour ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I have big hands so I can just use the 90 degree mount as my thumb rest. My thumb fits in the space between the two legs. Thanks, Eric

Interesting idea, but I think my fingers wouldn't reach all the way out... Worth checking out.