Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Romeo3 Max Died

Flea

Got a new Romeo 3 Max and put it on my new G34 MOS. Have 600 rounds through the gun and the optic doesn't turn on. I'm calling Sig Wed morning but was wondering if there is a simple, secret "fix" other than putting in a new battery.

Thanks

For giggles I just took a 1.5mm hex tool and pushed the bottom battery contact up a bit and now the optic turns on. I have no idea if any optic like the Romeo3 Max requires periodic tweaking like what I just did or if it was just a fluke that it now turns on.

There are times when it loosens up due to the slide movement. A shooting friend had that happened to his X5 Legion with the the Romeo 1 Pro. The optic won’t turn on during make ready.

I used a wide-tipped metal screw driver to tighten the battery cap and it worked without any further problems throughout the match.

23 hours ago, rowdyb said:

shimming the battery or batter contact in one way or another is nothing new in the slide mounted optic realm of issues

Dang.  I was on the fence about this sight but this makes me nervous.   Maybe I should go back to thinking about the SRO.   

what are the top of the heap for optics reliability?  

23 minutes ago, echotango said:

None.  They will ALL die.  I have 4 XL's and have sent back 3. 

Hmmm that sucks.   

are c-mores that bad too?    I am getting back into USPSA and moving to carry optics from production for next year on my way to an open gun.  I have been practicing with an MOS Glock mounted with a vortex while I figure out a plan.  Comments like this are a bummer.   

My RMR had battery contact issues. My Vortex Venom wouldn't hold zero. My Burris FF3 had battery issues. My Cmore broke a diode. My Romeo 1 Pro just was blah. My Vortex Viper was ok but had the most "starburst" effect with my astigmatism in both eyes. And this isn't going into the issues with mounts, screws, plates and such. These optics at one time or another were on Glock 34s, CZ SP01s, Sig X5 Legions or a Shadow 2.

I will be shooting CO for a while as soon as I'm done at Prod nats in 2 weeks. Shadow 2 Optic Ready version, Trijicon SRO and CHWPS plate. So we'll see how it all goes this time.....

The weak link in CO is definitely anything related to the optic.

My SROs have been very durable.  I have three with various round counts one them. The only issue I don’t like is the double dot when the optic is pointed directly into the sun. The Sig Romeo 3 max would not zero after about 600 rounds , but does not have the double dot issue when pointed into the sun. Every optic seems to have some sort of short coming. 

The issues all just part of it and will sort themselves out.  When we started shooting dots on open guns we had all the same issues...

Been lucky so far with my Romeo3 Max on an X5 Legion on a Springer Plate.  But I have started building a backup gun...

Debating getting another MAX or trying one of the others.

I'd heard speculation that mounting to a plate rather than directly to the slide might help reliability?  I can see that any miniscule amount of dampening or flex might help with the initial G load on the optic. 

I bumped into a post while walking with my holstered gun yesterday.  I thought nothing of it until I looked at the Romeo 3 XL.

Don’t even think about drop safe . . . It isn’t even walk safe.

This is the second one, first one died because it allowed water in.

517371EB-4E03-4904-8C17-8D22FA67C4CC.jpeg

26 minutes ago, Whoops! said:

I bumped into a post while walking with my holstered gun yesterday.  I thought nothing of it until I looked at the Romeo 3 XL.

Don’t even think about drop safe . . . It isn’t even walk safe.

This is the second one, first one died because it allowed water in.

517371EB-4E03-4904-8C17-8D22FA67C4CC.jpeg

Weird. I’ve dropped my Max a few times including one where the gun skidded across rocks and dirt and sand for 10 feet. I’ve got a scratched housing but kept zero and no cracks. 

Weird indeed.

I literally bumped into a pole while walking, barely felt the bump.

Could have something to do with the shape difference between the MAX and XL.

Max should theoretically be a more durably shaped lens because it will distribute shock more evenly around the circumference.

Edited by Whoops!

On 10/10/2020 at 11:50 AM, cbrussell said:

I do not shoot CO, but was wondering about the Aimpoint Acro Sight. I always like their dot on other sights. However, they may not make a 6 mom or larger dot.

I am curious about the Airmpoint Arco as well, but I am not willing to the Guiney pig at that price point.

On 10/10/2020 at 10:50 AM, cbrussell said:

I do not shoot CO, but was wondering about the Aimpoint Acro Sight. I always like their dot on other sights. However, they may not make a 6 mom or larger dot.

1 hour ago, Boomstick303 said:

I am curious about the Airmpoint Arco as well, but I am not willing to the Guiney pig at that price point.

Like all of the Aimpoint products, I have had nothing but great luck with the ACRO sight, both with the optical quality of the dot and with the overall longevity & reliability of the sight.

After using 20, 15 and 10 MOA dots for many years, I actually prefer the size of the 3.5 MOA ACRO and 4 MOA Micro dots. For me, they are just as easy to acquire from the draw & during transitions. The smaller dot makes the plates look bigger & gives more precision for accurate shots.

Jim

Acro.jpg