Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RL1100 index adjustment

I don't see an index screw adjust on the left side of the Dillon press, it's just an empty hole which is missing a set screw.  Reading the RL manual it states that the indexing is adjusted via the eccentric drive which is already set at the factory and it shouldn't require any further adjustment.  The shellplate tends to skip/snap into place once the index guide pins come down, this snapping/skipping action spills powder all over the place.   The old 1050 had an adjustment screw, not sure about this one since it missing...  

1 hour ago, chgofirefighter said:

I don't see an index screw adjust on the left side of the Dillon press, it's just an empty hole which is missing a set screw.  Reading the RL manual it states that the indexing is adjusted via the eccentric drive which is already set at the factory and it shouldn't require any further adjustment.  The shellplate tends to skip/snap into place once the index guide pins come down, this snapping/skipping action spills powder all over the place.   The old 1050 had an adjustment screw, not sure about this one since it missing...  

I think this is the adjustment set screw for the RL1100. It’s at the back instead of the left side.

493902-D9-4185-4-CDE-AE2-B-912855-FA6-DA

ETA - I just made some fine adjustment on the shell plate indexing using through this screw and it works. The procedure is on 52 of the RL1100 manual.

Edited by George16

4 hours ago, George16 said:

I think this is the adjustment set screw for the RL1100. It’s at the back instead of the left side.

493902-D9-4185-4-CDE-AE2-B-912855-FA6-DA

ETA - I just made some fine adjustment on the shell plate indexing using through this screw and it works. The procedure is on 52 of the RL1100 manual.

Thanks, I was able to slightly correct the indexing.  Dillon informed me that the shellplate indexing is made to smoothly snap into place after the guide pins they also confirmed the new adjustment location.  I took the press apart, cleaned it up, lubed it, did some fine tuning and now she's running better~  Also, I purchased a new guide bushing from Immortobot since I am going to eliminate the tool head spring and bushing since the press is automated... 

On 10/9/2020 at 10:33 PM, chevrofreak said:

I have had to back my screw out twice now as my 1100 driven by an Ammobot Rev3 has worn in.   

That screw has no function when driving an 1100 with an Ammobot. 

Back it all the way out. Take it off. Whatever...

The Ammobot proximity switch controls the indexing.

On 10/14/2020 at 4:45 PM, ddc said:

That screw has no function when driving an 1100 with an Ammobot. 

Back it all the way out. Take it off. Whatever...

The Ammobot proximity switch controls the indexing.

Which I also adjust.  To properly set the indexing, manually cycle the press with the handle, gradually adjusting the stop screw.  Once proper indexing is achieved, screw the home switch in just until the light on the switch illuminates and then tighten it down. 

Following the instructions in the manual will lead to malfunctions. 

10 hours ago, chevrofreak said:

Which I also adjust.  To properly set the indexing, manually cycle the press with the handle, gradually adjusting the stop screw.  Once proper indexing is achieved, screw the home switch in just until the light on the switch illuminates and then tighten it down. 

Following the instructions in the manual will lead to malfunctions. 

Interesting. I've got mine backed way out. It is not part of the indexing process with my setup. I rely solely upon the proximity switch.

I've learned that these machines can be rather idiosyncratic, what seems to work fine for one person may not work very well at all for someone else.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Street Survival said:

Did you find the Dillon RL 1100 to be a big upgrade from the Super 1050?  Thank You for your sage advice.

I'm not sure if you were talking to me... but my experience is only with the 1100 and a 650 before that.

I've got friends with 1050s and have observed them on a number of occasions.

My feeling is that the 1100 is an slight upgrade from the 1050 but not a "big upgrade".

I think the main design difference is the bottom end is derived from the older RL1050 which is considered more robust.

Day to day operation is identical. Same number of stations. Same priming system. Same case feeder.

Slight redesign of the primer station which makes it easier to extract a case from that position.

If you reload rifle you are limited to 308 on the 1100. 1050 will do 30'06.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2020 at 6:01 PM, ddc said:

I'm not sure if you were talking to me... but my experience is only with the 1100 and a 650 before that.

I've got friends with 1050s and have observed them on a number of occasions.

My feeling is that the 1100 is an slight upgrade from the 1050 but not a "big upgrade".

I think the main design difference is the bottom end is derived from the older RL1050 which is considered more robust.

Day to day operation is identical. Same number of stations. Same priming system. Same case feeder.

Slight redesign of the primer station which makes it easier to extract a case from that position.

If you reload rifle you are limited to 308 on the 1100. 1050 will do 30'06.

Same experience here.....................

ddc:  you nailed it IMO!

👍