Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winning set-up for SOF

Michael Brown

What have the winners been using for optics at the SOF and tactical 3 gun matches?  

I have noticed that Bennie Cooley seems to like the Holosight but does he use it at this type of match?

Any opinions?

I read the thread on the Holosight but I don't think its approved for SOF.

Michael Brown

From what I've seen the ACOG 3.5X scope with the BAC donut reticle has been the winning sight at SOF/WC3gun.   But remember rifle stages at SOF/WC3gun tend to have long shots: 400 - 500 yards lately.  Voigt, Kempton, Clark, and Salmon all use ACOGs, I think Eddie Rhodes used one the year he won SOF.  Bennie and Jerry Miculek often shoot irons at SOF.  I've relied on irons at SOF as well but they are scored against irons.  Scopes don't compete directly against the iron sight shooters.  I have not seen a top contender at SOF use an Aimpoint or any red dot or an Elcan.

As I read WC3gun rule 3.3.2, a Holosight would be legal at that match but you must have backup iron sights.

I would not take a Holosight to SOF given the distances that they have been shooting but for other matches such as Kyle's North Carolina tac 3 gun where there is a lot of closer range shooting, a Holosight would smoke an ACOG on a lot of stages.

Michael:

The scope that Kelly refers to is the TA-11 with the BINDON DOT. this is a 4 min. dot with a hollow 2 min. center. It is fast and fairly precise and also has auxilery cross hairs for 400-800 meters. Eddie  did indeed have one on his rifle.

In WC3Gun one can not change optics between stages. Hope this helps.                                     KURT

Switching optics during a match is a mark of SATAN!

I think the new Leupold CQ/T has some merit and may be the best compromise.  You can turn it down to 1X and use it as a true dot sight and you can crank it to 3X so you get the benefits of some magnification.  It's cheaper than an ACOG and Leupold definitely stand by their products.  

A lot would depend on how the match was set up to determine which would be better for SOF: an ACOG or CQ/T.  Closer the CQ/T may be better, farther I'd take the ACOG.