Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullets Out Magazine - Illegal?


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, DirkD said:

the problem with IDPA is some SO's and MD's look for a way to screw over people, they have some stupid rules that don't make any sense, but so does USPSA.

Problem with a lot of IPDA people is, if you bring up something you disagree with you are a hater and you don't have to shoot it.

Is that how IDPA HQ feels?

I don't work for IDPA.  I have never claimed that I was speaking for the organization.  I have no "inside contacts" with anyone in the IDPA organization. 

 

I enjoy participating in IDPA sanctioned shooting matches.  So I do.

 

If I didn't enjoy it, I wouldn't participate.  Because participation us not mandatory.

 

You appear to be extremely displeased with IDPA rules.  I've never spoken with anyone from IDPA HQ.  Perhaps you could contact them directly?

 

It might be time better spent than asking ME if I think it is "okay for Safety Officers to screw over people every chance they get".  

 

I really don't know what else to suggest to help you resolve your distaste and displeasure for IDPA, but wish you well.

 

 

Edited by 45 Raven
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading through a lot of the comments, it sounds like the issues are more club level. Around my area, there are about equal amounts of IDPA and USPSA clubs, the USPSA events draw more activity, but I would venter to say that there is an equal amount of health in each around here. I think that it comes down to the club level leadership and if they have a healthy desire to grow the sport and accept new shooters and develop them into active and engaged participants. 

You can't have a SO that is going to be an a&& and expect growth, and that would be on the MD to feel that vibe and select SO's that will reflect the direction of the club.

I now that the MD of my club has a hard time finding people willing to be the SO. That tells me that may be the case else where, and is the reason that you may be finding poor quality individuals to fill the roll.  

 

Maybe it is time for more people to show their love for the action shooting sports and volunteer and be the great SO that you found is missing.

Too many people pay to shoot and expect it to be a this great luxury experience (a luxury experience based on the amount of cash that it takes to be actively engaged in the sport) and feel justified in their complaint, and forget that these are all volunteers. I have seen GOOD SO's quit, because some "rich a$$ is expecting to be treated like he is at some 5 star accommodation and berates them on their judgement call, or stage reset efficiencies while he stands around and just ........ well you know.

 

What I'm saying is get in there and make the sport great, it is up to you.        

Edited by Andy9
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Andy9 said:

Reading through a lot of the comments, it sounds like the issues are more club level. Around my area, there are about equal amounts of IDPA and USPSA clubs, the USPSA events draw more activity, but I would venter to say that there is an equal amount of health in each around here. I think that it comes down to the club level leadership and if they have a healthy desire to grow the sport and accept new shooters and develop them into active and engaged participants. 

You can't have a SO that is going to be an a&& and expect growth, and that would be on the MD to feel that vibe and select SO's that will reflect the direction of the club.

I now that the MD of my club has a hard time finding people willing to be the SO. That tells me that may be the case else where, and is the reason that you may be finding poor quality individuals to fill the roll.  

 

Maybe it is time for more people to show their love for the action shooting sports and volunteer and be the great SO that you found is missing.

Too many people pay to shoot and expect it to be a this great luxury experience (a luxury experience based on the amount of cash that it takes to be actively engaged in the sport) and feel justified in their complaint, and forget that these are all volunteers. I have seen GOOD SO's quit, because some "rich a$$ is expecting to be treated like he is at some 5 star accommodation and berates them on their judgement call, or stage reset efficiencies while he stands around and just ........ well you know.

 

What I'm saying is get in there and make the sport great, it is up to you.        

 

There is certainly some truth to that. I used to show up to my club early and set up a stage. See we have 6 IDPA matches a month. So the stages are what ever the guys that show up early come up with and build

 

I remember one week I built a stage that had you activate a disappearing target with a PP, but to slice the pie you had to engage a open target at 7 yards between the PP and the activated target. I was told it was to hard and they tore my stage apart.

 

A couple weeks later I built a big stage, I made sure to walk off the distance between positions so I stayed with in the rules. But I didn't break out the tape measure. They determined I had 1 or 2 yards to much between each position so they tore my stage apart again.

 

Now I sleep in and show up late. I'll only shoot 4-6 of their matches a year there and I'll not build another stage at that IDPA club. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

 

There is certainly some truth to that. I used to show up to my club early and set up a stage. See we have 6 IDPA matches a month. So the stages are what ever the guys that show up early come up with and build

 

I remember one week I built a stage that had you activate a disappearing target with a PP, but to slice the pie you had to engage a open target at 7 yards between the PP and the activated target. I was told it was to hard and they tore my stage apart.

 

A couple weeks later I built a big stage, I made sure to walk off the distance between positions so I stayed with in the rules. But I didn't break out the tape measure. They determined I had 1 or 2 yards to much between each position so they tore my stage apart again.

 

Now I sleep in and show up late. I'll only shoot 4-6 of their matches a year there and I'll not build another stage at that IDPA club. 

 

That's sad, but the truth maybe that it was too hard for them to shoot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, RePete said:

 

That's sad, but the truth maybe that it was too hard for them to shoot.

 

But what should have happened is a collaboration between MD, or whoever determined the problem, and the stage designer / setter-upper to adjust and explain their reason and methodology so to encourage volunteerism instead of kill it. 

 

Hearing about a match every week at the same club is a little odd, at least to me. Around here, the club MD's collaborate and alternate match weekends through the month so that shooters get to move around to different clubs and there isn't the weekly pressure to set up at the club, that could cause volunteer burn-out.   

Edited by Andy9
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Andy9 said:

 

But what should have happened is a collaboration between MD, or whoever determined the problem, and the stage designer / setter-upper to adjust and explain their reason and methodology so to encourage volunteerism instead of kill it. 

 

Hearing about a match every week at the same club is a little odd, at least to me. Around here, the club MD's collaborate and alternate match weekends through the month so that shooters get to move around to different clubs and there isn't the weekly pressure to set up at the club, that could cause volunteer burn-out.   

 

Totally agree, but it didn't happen and they drove away a stage designer, worker and shooter in one foul move.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Andy9 said:

 

But what should have happened is a collaboration between MD, or whoever determined the problem, and the stage designer / setter-upper to adjust and explain their reason and methodology so to encourage volunteerism instead of kill it. 

 

Hearing about a match every week at the same club is a little odd, at least to me. Around here, the club MD's collaborate and alternate match weekends through the month so that shooters get to move around to different clubs and there isn't the weekly pressure to set up at the club, that could cause volunteer burn-out.   

 

We may be a somewhat unique area. I started shooting at this club 10 years ago and it was this way back then. 6 matches a month, year round. Next closest club is probably 1.5 hours from there or about 2 hours from me. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

To answer the OP's question in why they are illegal:

 

Because Claude Warner (a regional or section or whatever director at the time) took exception to one shooter's bullets out gear and made up a rule that they were not suitable for EDC. Said shooter made the point that speed loader pouches were essentially larger and even less suitable but Claude had it in for her so the rule got made.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2021 at 9:24 PM, RJH said:

Wouldn't it be awesome if there was a sport where people used there ACTUAL carry gear.  I have done it a time or two in USPSA and wish there was a place to do it against other people using their actual carry gear.  Maybe not even a whole sport, maybe just a match or 2 that was  carry gear oriented

 

That's exactly what Polite Society was.  Real world gear and real world stages.  But when you had most stages that required only one or two shots, its became very boring very fast.  Which is why the concept didn't seem to last very long.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JFlowers said:

 

That's exactly what Polite Society was.  Real world gear and real world stages.  But when you had most stages that required only one or two shots, its became very boring very fast.  Which is why the concept didn't seem to last very long.

 

Yep,  that does sound boring.  I  was thinking uspsa rules/ stages with actual carry gear. I know it ain't going to happen though and I ain't sweating it.  I feel like an occasional match oriented that way would be more sustainable than a sport specifically for carry guns. But i will just occasionally shoot my carry gun in production or limited and be happy

Link to post
Share on other sites

Was kinda the point of IDPA. Which started when IPSC/USPSA only had standard and open.

But some of the equipment rules went full retard.
Shoulda just stuck with size and weight limits that made sense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2021 at 7:49 AM, Twinkie said:

To answer the OP's question in why they are illegal:

 

Because Claude Warner (a regional or section or whatever director at the time) took exception to one shooter's bullets out gear and made up a rule that they were not suitable for EDC. Said shooter made the point that speed loader pouches were essentially larger and even less suitable but Claude had it in for her so the rule got made.

 

I know him. That guy is a total jerk; a real rules Martinet. If the rule book says something's not allowed, he just won't make any exceptions. In Chicargo, we would have called him a TJO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, HeadHunter said:

 

 If the rule book says something's not allowed, he just won't make any exceptions. 

 

Isn't that exactly what everyone is supposed to do?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RePete said:

According to IDPA's web site, he's no longer a member.

Having to get the club I started kicked out of IDPA took all the fun out of it for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • ChuckS locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...