Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45acp

tomjerry1

Hope I can get a little help, Hornady discontinued their .452" 230gr lead bullet in the Frontier line. So I am on the hunt again for a replacement bullet, what are your thoughts. I'm not stuck on 230, 200 would be good also. Oh, 45acp, I've always used round nose, works.

I find swaged lead bullets to be more accurate than cast. Any real H&G 68 clone (long-nosed) SWC will feed if you set the COL correctly. I use Zero, Precision Delta, and Precision Bullets 200gn L-SWC. The latter company sells coated bullets. Other than that, I find most commercial cast bullet companies pretty much use the same equipment and produce bullets equal to the others, so I have not real preference; however, mastercastbullets.com, Missouri bullets, and Penn bullets have worked well for me.

Almost all my .45 feed empty sized cases without issue and they have never had an issue with any bullet—if the COL is set correctly.

Thanks for the replies. I will definitely be looking into these recommendations. I have been wanting to try SWC bullets in the past, so now may be the time. I see that everyone says that they work, if loaded to the correct length? any input?

On 10/5/2020 at 4:29 PM, tomjerry1 said:

Thanks for the replies. I will definitely be looking into these recommendations. I have been wanting to try SWC bullets in the past, so now may be the time. I see that everyone says that they work, if loaded to the correct length? any input?

I use SNScasting's 200gr SWC which is an H&G68 shape that Bullseye shooters have been using for decades. COL of 1.250" (or maybe slightly longer, to 1.255"). There are some 1911s that don't like anything but round-nose, though.

• 2 weeks later...

I load SWC to 1.240" because that length feeds in all my 45s.  Add Roger's Better Bullets to the list above.  He makes excellent, hard, Brinell 21 bullets.  I use Precision Bullets coated LSWC.  They are super accurate.  Zero 185 LSWC HPs are also great for bullseye.

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, noylj said:

Sarge: have you tries Precision Bullets? If not, try some

Yes, they are some of the first bullets I ever bought when I started USPSA. At that time they were still the Gen 1 type and I found that coating left a plastic like residue in my Glock barrel. 
 Since I only shoot Open I stick to jacketed bullets .

On 10/5/2020 at 9:59 PM, PhotoRecon said:

I use the H&G 68 style 185gr hardcast @ COL of 1.250" and taper crimp of .469"...great results for me over the years...

Any H&G 68 style SWC and 1.250" O.A.L. length for 45 ACP has always worked well for me as well. 

Naturally, some H&G 68 style bullets are better than others... 

My 45 pistols prefer softer bullets than what some manufacturers sell.  Properly sized, soft lead does NOT lead your barrel. 

It is hard to beat Zero bullets.  http://www.rozedist.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RZD&Category_Code=ZSB-45ACP  (Haven't tried the Zero SWHP's though.)  

16 hours ago, Ken6PPC said:

(Haven't tried the Zero SWHP's though.)  

You absolutely should.  The really serious (and good) bullseye shooters at my home club are there often with a Ransom rest testing loads at 50 yards.  Every one of them now shoot the Zero 185 LSWCHP.  Now that Dardas is retired, it and Nosler Custom Competition 185 JHPs are the way to go for top accuracy.  Caveat:  not all barrels shoot 185s as well as 200s.  Fortunately, all of mine like both.