Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Powder Measure Casting Broke

The powder measure casting broke at the very bottom of the measure where it clamps on the expander die.  I noticed I wasn't getting much if any belling on the cases and the measure was hopping around noticeably.   

Hopefully Dillon responds quickly to my email. 

9 hours ago, NETim said:

The powder measure casting broke at the very bottom of the measure where it clamps on the expander die.  I noticed I wasn't getting much if any belling on the cases and the measure was hopping around noticeably.   

Hopefully Dillon responds quickly to my email. 

Call tomorrow morning - it will be faster. 

On 10/4/2020 at 8:54 AM, NETim said:

This happened to me about 6 months ago. Called Dillon and told them what happened. Sent out a replacement that day. Great CS.

6 hours ago, 191138sc said:

This happened to me about 6 months ago. Called Dillon and told them what happened. Sent out a replacement that day. Great CS.

That's what I thought would happen.  I have to ship my busted measure to them, on my dime, then they'll send me a replacement measure.   

Not sure why.  It's not repairable.  Scavenge some parts off of it is all.   I sent pics to indicate what broke where but nope.  Send it in.

Now that I've sent the busted measure in, on my dime, I get an email telling me a replacement is on the way.  

I'm not too very damn very impressed with Dillon CS right now. 

They sent a lower link rebuild kit for my 550b when I had some play in mine based on an email with a few photographs.  I was happy about it.

I have a (very old) powder measure that cracked.  It wasn't the fault of the equipment.  Can't blame them for it.  I had a spare.  If I ask them about it and they replace or fix, I'll be happy about that too.

Do you have two accounts to make your complaint about Dillon CS seem more legitimate?  Does it make you feel more special when you get a reply to your thread from yourself?  Or is it better when your reply gets a response from the OP?

Edited by johnmyster

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2020 at 8:37 AM, johnmyster said:

They sent a lower link rebuild kit for my 550b when I had some play in mine based on an email with a few photographs.  I was happy about it.

I have a (very old) powder measure that cracked.  It wasn't the fault of the equipment.  Can't blame them for it.  I had a spare.  If I ask them about it and they replace or fix, I'll be happy about that too.

Do you have two accounts to make your complaint about Dillon CS seem more legitimate?  Does it make you feel more special when you get a reply to your thread from yourself?  Or is it better when your reply gets a response from the OP?

Yes, I'm very special.   

Through a moderate mixup on my part, I had an old(er) account here and I didn't remember creating it.  Now, I've realized the error and am using just one account.  

Dillon CS did come through and sent me a new measure AFTER I had sent my old measure in to them at my expense.   Up until now, I have had no complaints about Dillon support.  

I’ve broken two of them in the last year. When I got my last replacement I asked if I could have an extra. Hey said sure as long as I pay them 🤪. It’s only 18 miles to their store so I quest I’ll do that. 

• 1 month later...

For small parts, Dillon has always taken my word for it and shipped no questions asked.

I have never had to ask for replacement of a large part.  I have a 30 year old powder measure from a Dillon Square Deal (pre-"B") that is still going strong.

• 6 months later...

I have been using 550's for many years. I have three measures. These are current models. I was merrily loading  along the other evening. There was some resistance lowering the handle. Powder came pouring out of the measure around the charge bar. What had happened is the plastic plug had broken and spacer had come loose. Fortunately, there was not much powder in the measure.

I called Dillon. Rep was too slammed to discuss broken plug. He very quickly put in an  for two replacement plastic plugs. He would not allow me to give him card number to order #2 buttons. Two were included with the plastic plugs. That spacer is stationary and the plug holds it in place. Something much have hit that spacer hard enough to break the plug. Nothing else looks broken.

I was able to replace the Accurate #2 at a semi-ripoff price. Installed another measure and finished out my 200 wadcutter loads in 38 Special. That spacer goes and the measure will empty. Figured what to do after the fact.  Push the spacer back into place. Rocket Science.

My gunsmith may be the only man in the country that Dillon charges for replacement parts.

Why?  Because he tells them how they could have avoided breakage by a change in design or material.  So they penalize his advice by charging him for another part the same as the old one.

They do pay attention, my third SDB frame was beefed up where the first two had broken.

• 3 months later...

The body of the powder measure broke yesterday. Drove me crazy why the cases would not bell correctly. After a few rounds that were unsuitable, I found the cracks. Boxed up the body to send back. Dillon requested a photo.

processed-2cc9b20e-9c5b-4bdc-b8d0-7383d3167d8c_LkUkEK3i.thumb.jpeg.0078ee305ecfde60161f00f9acafc9e0.jpeg

Edited by rscalzo