Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New USPSA magazine

MHicks

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, LordManHammer said:

I was in the doctors office waiting room recently and I sat across from a young mother and her toddler.  The kid was getting fussy so mom handed him a magazine to divert his attention.  I watched the little dude hold the magazine like an iPad as he tried over and over to “swipe” the picture on the cover.  

LOL

He'll never learn to write with a pen either, I bet.

11 hours ago, DirkD said:

He works from home but can't open an email? 

Emails don't just get deleted ,he either deleted or is lying to you, either way he is lying.

How much work does he do?

He posts some stuff on Facebook and is in charge of a magazine, yet can't produce a decent magazine. 

If he can't do his job, he should be replaced by someone that will.

Send your resume to HQ. 

Got a reply from Mr. Foley. 

Apparently there was National Championships last fall that kept everyone busy. 

Also there's some sort of pandemic, so USPSA folks were working from home. 

Jake has received my article, but hasn't had time to review it. 

My wife flipped through Front Sight recently and she pointed out "Well he certainly has enough time to get HIS articles published." 

2 hours ago, konkapot said:

My wife flipped through Front Sight recently and she pointed out "Well he certainly has enough time to get HIS articles published." 

And there you have it.B)

14 hours ago, DirkD said:

He works from home but can't open an email? 

Emails don't just get deleted ,he either deleted or is lying to you, either way he is lying.

How much work does he do?

He posts some stuff on Facebook and is in charge of a magazine, yet can't produce a decent magazine. 

If he can't do his job, he should be replaced by someone that will.

Wow!  Just wow, are you sure you haven't misspelled your name?  Like maybe there should be a "C" in there?  LOL!

3 hours ago, konkapot said:

Got a reply from Mr. Foley. 

Apparently there was National Championships last fall that kept everyone busy. 

Also there's some sort of pandemic, so USPSA folks were working from home. 

Jake has received my article, but hasn't had time to review it. 

So yes, as you stated there have been a lot of disruption in all of our lives this past year, lock downs in large areas of the country, many of us have lost family and friends (not all necessarily from the Coof), and lots of technical issues as well (try replacing an iphone that stopped working when at every point the response is "use your app" or "on your device" or "email us")  Ackkk.

19 hours ago, happygunner77 said:

For members that renew their membership, I thought it wasn't an option anymore in renewing without the magazine extra cost.

They don't want you to see it that easy, so you have to look for it. Click renew, go to the bottom and click interested in other memberships, then click household and there you can renew for 25 that does not include the mag.

On 2/1/2021 at 6:40 PM, echotango said:

If it is something that you technically pay for, why should I have to contribute. Are the ads free? No. There is money coming in. Pay for content. 

They do pay for content, so its not as if they are looking for unpaid volunteers. There are probably many reasons why fewer people are submitting articles. Maybe contributors don’t realize that they can make a little money of their work.

There used to be a lot of match write-ups but without accompanying photos they are not likely to get published, and perhaps that is contributing  to the problem.

How many people have access to a decent camera that can produce images of high enough DPI for publishing ? And how many RO”s will let a photographer put a camera down-range for those full frontal shots?

Look... I think they are doing an amazing job with what they have. To be honest, it’s toilet reading for me. But things of importance: Troy’s column ( because I’m an RO who has worked a Nat but still has lots to learn.) Ads, yeah they get what they paid for but keeps me up on what’s new. I love keeping up with the new young stars of the game (Christian’s a local, Michael Poggie cause I love Revo, and William’s sisters because a father of three girls- Girl power! And I have the honor of having ROed all of these). So honestly, lighten up. As stayed above, if you think you could do better, submit. I’m sure if you’re not Earnest Hemingway, they have editors who can help you out.

50 minutes ago, BritinUSA said:

They do pay for content, so its not as if they are looking for unpaid volunteers. There are probably many reasons why fewer people are submitting articles. Maybe contributors don’t realize that they can make a little money of their work.

There used to be a lot of match write-ups but without accompanying photos they are not likely to get published, and perhaps that is contributing  to the problem.

How many people have access to a decent camera that can produce images of high enough DPI for publishing ? And how many RO”s will let a photographer put a camera down-range for those full frontal shots?

A lot of the action cameras can be set for either wide angle or standard view and the resolution on the newer 4K video cameras is good enough for publishing.  So frame grabs from a 4K action camera set to standard view will work.  Or some of the Sony action cameras have remote controls and will take photos of high enough quality for publishing.

37 minutes ago, Mcfoto said:

Look... I think they are doing an amazing job with what they have. To be honest, it’s toilet reading for me. But things of importance: Troy’s column ( because I’m an RO who has worked a Nat but still has lots to learn.) Ads, yeah they get what they paid for but keeps me up on what’s new. I love keeping up with the new young stars of the game (Christian’s a local, Michael Poggie cause I love Revo, and William’s sisters because a father of three girls- Girl power! And I have the honor of having ROed all of these). So honestly, lighten up. As stayed above, if you think you could do better, submit. I’m sure if you’re not Earnest Hemingway, they have editors who can help you out.

Same here, I think many have a misconception on the size of the staff working on the magazine.  They have a staff of 6 people to publish a magazine and for most of them it's only a part of their regular jobs at USPSA.  So the idiots in the peanut gallery respond with "they make a lot of money off the magazine and ads, but want the members to do the work so they make money", or "they produce a crappy magazine that we pay for, why should members be expected to contribute to their magazine that they sell", etc...

According to the 2019 financials, Front Sight sold $247K in advertising, which is peanuts, and even if it was profit, where does the profit from any product made or sold by USPSA go?  It goes for running the org and for putting on the National Matches, NROI, etc...  USPSA is non-profit 501c corporation.

I like the magazine, and I think like most I read it mostly in the bathroom.  (I didn't want to say member and bathroom in the same sentence, DOH!)

Again, I say to the whiners, shut up or put up.  If you don't like the magazine, either select "no magazine" when you renew or write better articles.  Same as for matches, if you don't like the stages, either find another club or build better stages, or shut up and shoot the stages that other people built for your lazy, whiny butt.

I've had two articles and the attendant photos published in the USPSA mag. The pay was great! If I felt like I had anything to contribute I'd write some more for them. As a side note I've also been published in the IDPA mag multiple times and got nothing but a thank you.

50 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

I've had two articles and the attendant photos published in the USPSA mag. The pay was great!

If you’re taking part in a match anyway, and have reasonable writing skills then it’s a great way to recoup some costs.

I stopped submitting articles as I’m not good at writing, it would typically take 10-20 hours of work for 2000 words. Writer’s block, ugh !

The photography part was fun while it lasted.

3 hours ago, rowdyb said:

I've had two articles and the attendant photos published in the USPSA mag. The pay was great! If I felt like I had anything to contribute I'd write some more for them. As a side note I've also been published in the IDPA mag multiple times and got nothing but a thank you.

Congratulations!  Thanks for your contributions.  Consider expanding on your "different match math for improvement" as a magazine article because it brought up some excellent points.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2020 at 11:00 AM, MHicks said:

In the new USPSA magazine there is an article about the CZ Shadow 2 with optic. A couple of times the author states that they are shooting a "front sight forward" array or configuration. What does that mean? I've never heard this description used. 

Im not sure anyone answered your question in the midst of all the complaining. One possibility is the 13th drill of S Andersons book Refinement and Repetition called Front Sight Forward. Its 3 IPSC targets 1 yard apart 21 ft from the shooters box. 

Its very simple, hands at sides or surrender, facing downrange. Draw and engage each target with 2 shots each. 

1 hour ago, Pfiddy said:

Im not sure anyone answered your question in the midst of all the complaining. One possibility is the 13th drill of S Andersons book Refinement and Repetition called Front Sight Forward. Its 3 IPSC targets 1 yard apart 21 ft from the shooters box. 

Its very simple, hands at sides or surrender, facing downrange. Draw and engage each target with 2 shots each. 

Thanks. No one seemed to have any idea and then it continued off topic. That could be where the phrase came from. I'd just never heard it before.

• 2 months later...
13 hours ago, rowdyb said:

isn't there also a classifier with the same name?

I see a Front Sight and a Front Sight 2 but not Front Sight Forward.  His description doesn't completely match either.  Here is the description from the author.  Perhaps someone knows him and can ask directly?  Not that this topic is even relevant any more!

'The first drill was a front sight forward configuration at 10 yards' distance with one yard between the targets.  Both Jake and I started with hands on marks on the table top in order to have a consistent start position.'  - Aron Bright

53 minutes ago, mpmo said:

I see a Front Sight and a Front Sight 2 but not Front Sight Forward.  His description doesn't completely match either.  Here is the description from the author.  Perhaps someone knows him and can ask directly?  Not that this topic is even relevant any more!

'The first drill was a front sight forward configuration at 10 yards' distance with one yard between the targets.  Both Jake and I started with hands on marks on the table top in order to have a consistent start position.'  - Aron Bright

Unfortunately, the author has passed away: