Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New USPSA magazine

MHicks

36 minutes ago, echotango said:

When I started I was excited that there was a magazine for what we do. Unfortunately you can see that not a lot of effort is put into it. And now it is a steel challenge mag. 

pretty much glance through it, chuck it in the trash now, not worth reading, they haven't put much effort into it over the past few years, they throw something together because they need to ship a magazine to people that pay for it and to generate ad revenue.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, DirkD said:

I agree the magazine sucks, I hardly look at it, i don't care about steel challenge it is boring.

Juniors and women are not where the growth is but that is where the focus is, once the lazy juniors (not all, but a lot are lazy) are no longer Juniors you rarely see them anymore.

Looks like whoever is in charge of the magazine phones it in and doesn't do much to make it a good magazine.

This^^^

If you don't like the magazine, you have two choices.  Opt out like @Sarge has mentioned or sit down at the computer and write an article.  Improve the magazine by sharing what you have learned.  If it wasn't for the "old guys" that pointed out little things that improved my shooting, the frustration level would have driven me out of this sport a long time ago.  Little things like how to improve your draw time, where you place your feet, how to put the mags in your pouches to save two tenths of a second on a reload.  It all adds up.

Steel Challenge may appear to be boring if you are set on the "run 'n gun" environment.  Actually there is a better way of comparing your abillities to national champions in SC.  Just look at the immediate classification that appears on the PractiScore tablet.  For that stage and gun, your score produces feedback and shows what classification you just shot.  For every stage.

That really doesn't happen in USPSA competition.  You might be one of the up and coming shooters that just got their Master card but you really don't know how your abilities stack up until you go to a Major and shoot against other people.  The names always change but you get the idea.  Just how well do your abilities in Carry Optics compare to Max Michel or in Production against Shane Coley?  Not really going to find out if you stay in the same local area and just shoot club matches.  Nationals are humbling.  If your ego can't take it, don't go.

After starting to shoot SC, I found that the improved skills were transferred to USPSA.  That plate rack, mini-popper or Texas Star is not so intimidating after hitting a plate at 35 yards.

To each their own.  If the ammunition and reloading component supplies keep going in the direction they have headed, we will all be shooting .22LR.

BC

4 minutes ago, SGT_Schultz said:

We're two decades into the 21st century

Who still reads magazines?

I'm 20000% more likely to flip through the paper magazine than I am to ever go to the online version. 

21 minutes ago, BillChunn said:

If you don't like the magazine, you have two choices.  Opt out like @Sarge has mentioned or sit down at the computer and write an article.  Improve the magazine by sharing what you have learned.  If it wasn't for the "old guys" that pointed out little things that improved my shooting, the frustration level would have driven me out of this sport a long time ago.  Little things like how to improve your draw time, where you place your feet, how to put the mags in your pouches to save two tenths of a second on a reload.  It all adds up.

Steel Challenge may appear to be boring if you are set on the "run 'n gun" environment.  Actually there is a better way of comparing your abillities to national champions in SC.  Just look at the immediate classification that appears on the PractiScore tablet.  For that stage and gun, your score produces feedback and shows what classification you just shot.  For every stage.

That really doesn't happen in USPSA competition.  You might be one of the up and coming shooters that just got their Master card but you really don't know how your abilities stack up until you go to a Major and shoot against other people.  The names always change but you get the idea.  Just how well do your abilities in Carry Optics compare to Max Michel or in Production against Shane Coley?  Not really going to find out if you stay in the same local area and just shoot club matches.  Nationals are humbling.  If your ego can't take it, don't go.

After starting to shoot SC, I found that the improved skills were transferred to USPSA.  That plate rack, mini-popper or Texas Star is not so intimidating after hitting a plate at 35 yards.

To each their own.  If the ammunition and reloading component supplies keep going in the direction they have headed, we will all be shooting .22LR.

BC

Nah, its much easier to complain than contribute.   I don't think the mag is all that bad.  If an article doesn't interest me I just skip it.  I don't remember ever reading a magazine of any type where I found every article interesting.

Edited by AKJD
spelling

1 hour ago, AKJD said:

Nah, its much easier to complain than contribute.  

they produce a crappy magazine that we pay for, why should members be expected to contribute to their magazine that they sell?

2 hours ago, waktasz said:

I'm 20000% more likely to flip through the paper magazine than I am to ever go to the online version. 

Interesting

I chuck the NRA rag in the trash as soon as I walk by it in the garage on my way in and I can't remember the last time I went online to read it.

I also don't look at the online USPSA thing.

Stuff is dated by the time it gets to you.

On 10/2/2020 at 3:42 AM, Sarge said:

I think I’m going to cancel the hard copy if I renew next year. Too much focus on women shooters, steel Challenge, and USPSA’s favorite gun at the moment.

8 hours ago, DirkD said:

I agree the magazine sucks, I hardly look at it, i don't care about steel challenge it is boring.

Juniors and women are not where the growth is but that is where the focus is, once the lazy juniors (not all, but a lot are lazy) are no longer Juniors you rarely see them anymore.

Looks like whoever is in charge of the magazine phones it in and doesn't do much to make it a good magazine.

6 hours ago, echotango said:

When I started I was excited that there was a magazine for what we do. Unfortunately you can see that not a lot of effort is put into it. And now it is a steel challenge mag. 

If you don't like what is in the magazine, feel free to contribute something useful, rather than disparage the efforts of the mostly VOLUNTEERS who do the work.  If you don't like the stages put on by the local club, do you just stand around complaining about the crappy stages, or do you start contributing by designing or building stages?

The magazine works the same way.  So, bitch on the interwebs, or contribute?

Over the years I've written several dozen articles for Front Sight and other  gun magazines.  Yes, most of them were published, a few were not, it ain't exactly rocket science.

3 minutes ago, Ming the Merciless said:

If you don't like what is in the magazine, feel free to contribute something useful, rather than disparage the efforts of the mostly VOLUNTEERS who do the work.  If you don't like the stages put on by the local club, do you just stand around complaining about the crappy stages, or do you start contributing by designing or building stages?

The magazine works the same way.  So, bitch on the interwebs, or contribute?

Over the years I've written several dozen articles for Front Sight and other  gun magazines.  Yes, most of them were published, a few were not, it ain't exactly rocket science.

they sell the magazine and sell ad space, why should volunteers contribute?

So they can make money off the back of volunteers?

They sell a product and some of their customers think it sucks, what is wrong with expressing your opinion on it?

2 minutes ago, DirkD said:

they sell the magazine and sell ad space, why should volunteers contribute?

So they can make money off the back of volunteers?

They sell a product and some of their customers think it sucks, what is wrong with expressing your opinion on it?

Have you looked at the editorial staff?  They all do the magazine as a small, very small part of their main USPSA duties.  Most of the articles are by USPSA members.  The magazine does pay a small amount per word count and per photo for articles printed, but you won't get rich from doing it.

Sure you are welcome to get on the interwebs and bitch about how much it sucks, or you could contribute, but then again we would probably bitch about whatever you contributed.

So, put up or shut up?

9 minutes ago, DirkD said:

he is the one that does the magazine, not worth wasting my time with him, it is a crappy product, only getting worse, it is his Job to do the magazine, not mine to write his articles.

1 minute ago, echotango said:

If it is something that you technically pay for, why should I have to contribute. Are the ads free? No. There is money coming in. Pay for content. 

Do you both have the same attitude towards matches?  It is something you pay for, so why should you have to do any work?  

Or is it a reading comprehension issue?  Front Sight does pay for content.

1 minute ago, Ming the Merciless said:

Do you both have the same attitude towards matches?  It is something you pay for, so why should you have to do any work?  

Or is it a reading comprehension issue?  Front Sight does pay for content.

they pay .10 a word 250 for a cover pic, 10 for inside pics, that isn't paying much for an article or pictures

Are the shooters expected to build stages at nationals ?

7 minutes ago, echotango said:

If it is something that you technically pay for, why should I have to contribute. Are the ads free? No. There is money coming in. Pay for content. 

they make a lot of money off the magazine and ads, but want the members to do the work so they make money, good deal if you can get it to happen, get other people to do your job

3 hours ago, DirkD said:

they make a lot of money off the magazine and ads, but want the members to do the work so they make money, good deal if you can get it to happen, get other people to do your job

The ENTIRE sport is based on this concept

12 hours ago, DirkD said:

they produce a crappy magazine that we pay for, why should members be expected to contribute to their magazine that they sell?

Actually if you dont want the paper copy you can opt out when renewing your membership and pay less. 

9 hours ago, DirkD said:

So let us know when you set up a shooting sport that competes with USPSA but all of the volunteers that USPSA uses are paid in your sport. That would be every single person at almost every single match. From the MD to the actual shooters who already pay the match fee. Considering everyone does contribute some "free" work at almost all matches I dont see your idea panning out very well. 

Your other option is to run for an office and be the change. You know we do vote on who runs USPSA....

Funny. Timely. 

I messaged Jake in August about a product review I wanted to write; he replied in the affirmative. 

I submitted the article in August and.....heard nothing. I emailed Jake, messaged him here.....nothing. 

I called USPSA and was told "we're all working from home....I can't connect you to anybody."

A few days later I got an email from Jake, saying that his email account was malfunctioning and this malfunction caused his emails to be deleted. 

I resubmitted and..............nothing. This was probably October or November. 

Emailed Mr. Foley this weekend. 

I don't know why Robin Taylor left, but I never had trouble getting articles printed when he was around. 

15 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

We're two decades into the 21st century

Who still reads magazines?

I was in the doctors office waiting room recently and I sat across from a young mother and her toddler.  The kid was getting fussy so mom handed him a magazine to divert his attention.  I watched the little dude hold the magazine like an iPad as he tried over and over to “swipe” the picture on the cover.  

20 minutes ago, konkapot said:

Funny. Timely. 

I messaged Jake in August about a product review I wanted to write; he replied in the affirmative. 

I submitted the article in August and.....heard nothing. I emailed Jake, messaged him here.....nothing. 

I called USPSA and was told "we're all working from home....I can't connect you to anybody."

A few days later I got an email from Jake, saying that his email account was malfunctioning and this malfunction caused his emails to be deleted. 

I resubmitted and..............nothing. This was probably October or November. 

Emailed Mr. Foley this weekend. 

I don't know why Robin Taylor left, but I never had trouble getting articles printed when he was around. 

He works from home but can't open an email? 

Emails don't just get deleted ,he either deleted or is lying to you, either way he is lying.

How much work does he do?

He posts some stuff on Facebook and is in charge of a magazine, yet can't produce a decent magazine. 

If he can't do his job, he should be replaced by someone that will.