Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

In the new USPSA magazine there is an article about the CZ Shadow 2 with optic. A couple of times the author states that they are shooting a "front sight forward" array or configuration. What does that mean? I've never heard this description used. 

I got the impression they were talking about the actual stage when I read it. Or how they shot the stage? I was confused by this too. Newbie here.

I like the magazine. Especially the photos and the ads. The photos give me ideas about gear, and I normally always check out the advertisers websites.

And they are GREAT to leave around the office dining area to spark interesting conversations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 minutes ago, Cuz said:

I like the magazine. 

I think I’m going to cancel the hard copy if I renew next year. Too much focus on women shooters, steel Challenge, and USPSA’s favorite gun at the moment.

3 hours ago, Sarge said:

I think I’m going to cancel the hard copy if I renew next year. Too much focus on women shooters, steel Challenge, and USPSA’s favorite gun at the moment.

They can only print when they receive.   And if they don't receive anything, they have to make up stuff to talk about----and pulling women/juniors to the sport is something USPSA always pushes, Steel Challenge matches are pulling in lots of new shooters, and most people like to read gun reviews.  Unsurprising that if not a lot of new and unique articles show up, you'll be reading about the things that tend to pull people's attention.

I'll note that I agree that this latest issue seems to be a bit overbearing regarding SC articles, but....again, I have no idea what articles actually got submitted.

26 minutes ago, Thomas H said:

They can only print when they receive.   And if they don't receive anything, they have to make up stuff to talk about----and pulling women/juniors to the sport is something USPSA always pushes, Steel Challenge matches are pulling in lots of new shooters, and most people like to read gun reviews.  Unsurprising that if not a lot of new and unique articles show up, you'll be reading about the things that tend to pull people's attention.

I'll note that I agree that this latest issue seems to be a bit overbearing regarding SC articles, but....again, I have no idea what articles actually got submitted.

Then they should publish an SC magazine. I would rather read an IDPA article than see more SC stuff. Just doesn’t interest me and I presume others.

As for JR/ladies. I have no problem at all with either. I shoot almost every week with a very nice lady. But she is about the ONLY lady that shoots around here. The magazine should cater more to its base. If the base is in doubt just look around every weekend, anywhere in the country and see who keeps USPSA afloat.

USPSA does pay for articles and photographs, and if nothing is submitted then someone at the office has to come up with new ideas.

I’m not sure how many members are skilled writers (I know that I’m not), but I know that there are a limited number of events this year and if those with writing skills are not going then there will be a decline in the number of articles that they receive.

I thought maybe the "front sight forward" phrase was a regional thing or something. Sounds like the author came up with his own way of describing whatever it is he means since no one else seems to have heard it either.

I like steel challenge and I think the idea of a SC mag is a good one.

However, having been editor/creator, etc. of a couple of different monthly newsletters for different clubs (other activities) I can attest to the hardship of getting new and interesting material on a monthly basis. Even though we're talking a national pool to pull from, it's still a difficult task.

On 10/2/2020 at 5:42 AM, Sarge said:

Too much focus on women shooters, steel Challenge, and USPSA’s favorite gun at the moment.

You must not be trying to bring anyone new into the sport. I think the magazine is about expanding the base of shooters, not keeping the old guys who are already committed. They already know it all anyways.

10 minutes ago, belus said:

You must not be trying to bring anyone new into the sport. I think the magazine is about expanding the base of shooters, not keeping the old guys who are already committed. They already know it all anyways.

Guess what? You don’t know s#!t! I will stack my “bringing new people to the sport” record up against anybody. 
  I have never actively recruited a single shooter but if somebody is even  slightly interested I invest a lot of time and effort to make them safe and to feel comfortable. 

5 minutes ago, Sarge said:

I will stack my “bringing new people to the sport” record up against anybody... If somebody is even  slightly interested I invest a lot of time and effort to make them safe and to feel comfortable. 

I believe you, so let's not disparage one of our main public representations for trying to show some diversity.

eta: Representation matters.

Edited by belus

Look at the bylines.  Is it real surprising that USPSA showcases their sponsors and advertisers?  They get little enough for their $ as it is and yet another article about the Podunk Fish Club Sectional Match isn't going to get much interest,

Personally, I like the Steel Challenge stuff as I shoot SC quite often. It's great practice for draws and transitions.

The World Speed Shooting Championship held a couple weeks ago had more than 700 guns entered/shot...

Just skip over those 'bonus pages' in the magazine if they don't interest you.

interestingly i find that the SC is a good gateway into practical/other shooting for beginners, so i get the magazine touching on that.  That said ive yet to find a beginner who knows there is a magazine until they are already shooting so i have to question the story selection and target audience.

I'm almost 4 years into this now. At first the magazine is great to help "learn the sport". As it goes on I've read it less and less. I think it does serve a purpose in the sense of info for new shooters.