Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What small 2011 parts don't require fitting?

UpYoursPal

Hey all.  I'm looking to put together a spare parts kit for my 2011 to take to matches, particularly majors.  I don't really have enough to get a second gun built, or really even a second slide.  So what I'm looking to find out are what are parts on a 2011 that commonly break, and don't require fitting to replace?  Springs are a no-brainer, and perhaps a firing pin, but do slide stops require fitting?  Barrel links?  Etc?

Every part is a consumable, how far you go depends on your wallet and gun bag size.  Barrel links, no.  Mine are married to bbl / frame / slide.  Mag springs maybe, spare FP and spring yes.  Extractor and maybe an ejector.  

Hello: If you can get some parts that you want updated on your current pistol use the old parts as spares. Spare springs, firing pin, firing pin stop, extractor, ejector, thumb safety(use single sided if right handed), slide stop, mag release. Anything more than that you might as well have a spare pistol. Thanks, Eric

On 10/1/2020 at 9:20 AM, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: If you can get some parts that you want updated on your current pistol use the old parts as spares. Spare springs, firing pin, firing pin stop, extractor, ejector, thumb safety(use single sided if right handed), slide stop, mag release. Anything more than that you might as well have a spare pistol. Thanks, Eric

This is good advice and a good list.

Fit your parts before you need them. Extractor, ejector, slide stop, firing pin, and slide stop would be the top of my list. I would only expect the slide stop and firing pin to be 'drop in'. Have some spare springs too.

Slide stops have multiple diameters.  You'll need to mic any replacements to get the best fit.  Also unlikely to get an aftermarket FP stop to just drop in, although some might.

All that said, slide stops pretty much don't break in 2011s.  Firing pin stops will crack, but the gun will keep on running for ages.  Extractor (fitted) and Ejector (fitted) and safeties (fitted) are about all that ever needs replacing on a well built gun until the barrel wears out.  Get spares of those, a set of screws and pins and springs and drive on.