Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL650 - Main Shaft Set Screw Issue

The effort required to pull the handle on my 5 year old XL650 suddenly increased a lot while reloading. I removed the shell plate, platform and primer assembly and the bare main shaft still felt like something was dragging and felt very rough while being raised and lowered. Upon loosening the main shaft set screw a quarter of a turn, all of the extra resistance went away.

How tight is the main shaft set screw supposed to be? Maybe adding some grease to the tip of the set screw would solve my problem and allow it to function properly with the set screw fully tightened.

Thanks in advance for any input on this problem.

Mine is tight as heck. My wild guess would be the cross pin has maybe galled the frame causing it to not move as free as it should?  
I would take the set screw out and remove the pin and see what’s up.

Mine is tight as heck. My wild guess would be the cross pin has maybe galled the frame causing it to not move as free as it should?  
I would take the set screw out and remove the pin and see what’s up.

Your suggestion is a good one and I will give it a try. I am embarrassed to say that the cross pin has never been lubed. The heat generated from a long loading session may have caused some galling.

I did see that in Dillon’s video called “Major Cleaning and Lubing of the Dillon Precision RL550B” (available on Dillon’s YouTube) they show that locktite should be used on this set screw and that once it is tight you should back it off 1/8th of a turn. That was for the 550 but that screw seems to work the same way on the 650. I don’t remember seeing that in the 650 manual but am also not sure how often people are removing that set screw.

So I went to take the main shaft pivot pin out and it didn’t want to come out even with the retaining screw fully removed. I soaked it in penetrating oil and let it sit for a while and then was able to hammer it out. It looks like on one side there is some marring of the finish on both the pin and the frame that I assume is galling. Here is a pic of the pin:

9e032c5c40cf1120ce19969983487463.jpg

Can this be fixed myself or does it need to be sent back to Dillon? Thanks for any input.

2 hours ago, IceDevil said:

So I went to take the main shaft pivot pin out and it didn’t want to come out even with the retaining screw fully removed. I soaked it in penetrating oil and let it sit for a while and then was able to hammer it out. It looks like on one side there is some marring of the finish on both the pin and the frame that I assume is galling. Here is a pic of the pin:

9e032c5c40cf1120ce19969983487463.jpg

Can this be fixed myself or does it need to be sent back to Dillon? Thanks for any input.

Call Dillon or email the pic to them. They’ll send you a new one and possibly the frame parts