Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 right side safest doesn’t work! Am I ok for nationals?

Nick_shoots_fast

14 hours ago, Bagellord said:

No chance at replacing (or just flat out remove) beforehand? Better to spend that bit of time and money to avoid being told you can't use that gun.

Removing it would violate the rules.

It think it'd be fine....

There is still time to just replace it. What's the entry fee, $300? Plus hotel and travel. If you haven't fit one before it's not vary hard. If you buy the same safety you can probably just use the new right side with your fitted left side.

41 minutes ago, Bagellord said:

What rule states you cannot change from an ambi safety to a one sided safety?

Changing it is different from removing it.  You cannot remove the safety.  You can change it.

13 minutes ago, Bagellord said:

I meant remove the broken side, not removing the entire mechanism

I would guess as long as it works that's legal.

I don't think I'd like it like that. I've never tried using one with only half in the gun, the pin not going all the way through might cause problems I don't know.

7 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Why? Because Troy is the RM for the nationals. Why not ask ahead of time? Could save some drama at the match.

You mean the guy that went Open at SS Nats for an overweight gun??🤣🤣

OP, if the safety functions, you're fine. I would get it corrected asap if you're used to having the right side safety though. 

On 10/1/2020 at 8:36 PM, HCH said:

You mean the guy that went Open at SS Nats for an overweight gun??🤣🤣

OP, if the safety functions, you're fine. I would get it corrected asap if you're used to having the right side safety though. 

Lol, harsh.

If the safety prevents the hammer from dropping - no RO should try to DQ you.

DQing for removing the ambi aspect would be like DQing for anyone who has a single-sided safety.

You haven’t changed the function of the hammer not dropping and the safety can still be engaged.

I have removed almost every right side of the ambi safety from all of my guns with no issues.  It can be aggravating to fit a new one. The only one I didn't remove, I ground down to flat.  I shot the 2017 Limited Nationals that way.  You should be ok to just remove the right side piece, with the caveat that you should at least shoot a few rounds through the gun after removal.  And yes I have been using the word "caveat" long before Paul Harrell has been making youtube videos.  Shoot well in the match.

58 minutes ago, Superkaratemonkeyfighter said:

Can somebody clear this up. 

If you get bumped to open at the single stack nationals. 🤨

Is there an open division to win at the single stack nationals ?

It's not required (see "if available" below), but I think they add the open division as a courtesy to the shooters so they can see their scores (and maybe so everyone can laugh at them for getting bumped). And since open division isn't announced prior to the match, there is no open division to win.

6.2.5.1 - However, if a competitor fails to satisfy the equipment or other requirements of a declared handgun Division during a course of fire, the competitor will be placed in Open Division, if available, otherwise the competitor will shoot the match for no score. If a competitor fails to satisfy the equipment or other requirements for PCC or Open Division during the course of fire, he will shoot for no score.

APPENDIX A2 - USPSA Recognition

Prior to the commencement of a match, the organizers must specify which Division(s) will be recognized.