Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I have access to harder large pistol primers at a great price, so will be shooting Major in USPSA until the primer crisis abates.  I picked up 5k, but my 625 will only break 50%.   I'm a strain screw filer, so I ordered 2 new strain screws.  The screw  in 5 five inch has a thin head, while the hard primer, new  screw has a thick head. When I ran it down to tight, the trigger return was sluggish, so I pulled it out, replaced the Federal strain screw and hoped to find fed primers.   I've decided that's simply not going to happen.   I have about 3800 45 acp with fed primers loaded and 2500 fed lpp.  ( im going to use my 38 special,38 long colt then my 38 shorts for steel challenge. I may have about 2500 total loaded and 2k of federal spp but that won't last long) I'm going to try a spent primer as a shim and see if that is enough to pop the harder primers.  If not, what would cause the sluggish trigger return when the thick headed screw was installed?  I did not change the return spring.   

Thanks,

Jason

It depends on how much return pressure you had to begin with, the trigger return spring also raises the hammer so as you increase the hammer spring tension you are also also making it harder to reset the trigger, could be that your return spring just doesn't have the tension it needs to fight the increased hammer spring tension.

32 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

It depends on how much return pressure you had to begin with, the trigger return spring also raises the hammer so as you increase the hammer spring tension you are also also making it harder to reset the trigger, could be that your return spring just doesn't have the tension it needs to fight the increased hammer spring tension.

That's what I was thinking, though I don't recall changing out the return spring.   If need be, I'll pickup a new factory return spring and see what happens.   Hopefully,  full sink won't be required and the sticky return will go away.

Thanks 

Jason

46 minutes ago, Makicjf said:

That's what I was thinking, though I don't recall changing out the return spring.   If need be, I'll pickup a new factory return spring and see what happens.   Hopefully,  full sink won't be required and the sticky return will go away.

Thanks 

Jason

My 625 is at about 6.5 lb and will set off CCI at 100%, I Carmonized the hammer, added a C+S extended firing pin (its what was in stock that day), replaced the rebound spring with a lighter (can't remember what weight) one and adjusted the strain screw, so there is hope for a decent trigger that sets off more than just Federals.

Jason, if you have one or can order one, try a 14lb return spring, then go to the hardware store and pick up a 8-32 by 3/8 long allen screw. Use the allen screw to replace your strain screw and you will be able to adjust the main spring gradually till you get reliable ignition, then blue lock tite it 

For WW Primers my 625 & 325 takes about 60+ ounces hammer fall with a 14# rebound spring for about 7 1/2 # Action.

If you are using harder primers, CCI used to be, Remington or IF something really hard like Wolf's it will take even more.

The sluggish feeling is definitely an imbalance between the rebound/mainspring rates.  Seems my strain screw for the above was .380" or you can use a separate mainspring and bend to what you want/