Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking Of Trying IDPA

OSP737

19 hours ago, chgofirefighter said:

Thanks SGT_Shultz, I will try an IDPA soon for sure.  I am a clas B in USPSA C/O division, so lets see how it goes...  

I'd proffer the one thing you might straight out dislike is belt rules.  I can't wear my easy to put on USPSA double belt to an IDPA match. I'm spoiled on that thing now. 

That reinforces the point made by someone else.  Few people in IDPA (at least in my area) seem to be pushing to develop speed AND accuracy.  There are some who do but the vast majority seem to have been sucked into the "slow is smooth smooth is fast" delusion. 

They draw slowly (I concede a ultra fast draw is not a huge advantage), they move from place to place slowly, they transition between targets at a glacial speed, they watch poppers fall before shooting the next one, they confirm their shots not by calling from the sights but by looking for hits, they never enter a new position ready to shoot, never shoot on the move, they aren't aware of rule technicalities that they can exploit (fault lines extend back to infinity, re-engaging targets from different positions when able, etc), they pull the magazine out of the pistol instead of letting it drop free from slide lock, and on and on and on.  And I'm talking about middle aged dudes my age or younger.

A lot of that is due to IDPA frequently having a higher mix of lower level shooters. Thats why I do well. 😉

But thats not universal. In our area, probably a third of the shooters are also USPSA/ falling steel / whatever's playing today I am in   shooters. 

Edited by Zincwarrior

2 hours ago, Zincwarrior said:

I'd proffer the one thing you might straight out dislike is belt rules.  I can't wear my easy to put on USPSA double belt to an IDPA match. I'm spoiled on that thing now. 

A lot of that is due to IDPA frequently having a higher mix of lower level shooters. Thats why I do well. 😉

But thats not universal. In our area, probably a third of the shooters are also USPSA/ falling steel / whatever's playing today I am in   shooters. 

Yeah that belt system rule is goofy, but I understand that is more "defensively" geared shooting and not truly competitive like USPSA where speed, time and hit factor matters most~ 

Agreed CF, its just a convenience thing for me. I'm just a lazy cuss.

Inversely I went for years just wearing the same IDPA gear with some additional mags.  I shoot Production / SSP so there's no real difference (at least before they agreed you could shoot a pistol in production weighing ~ 90 lbs if desired.

1 hour ago, Zincwarrior said:

Agreed CF, its just a convenience thing for me. I'm just a lazy cuss.

Inversely I went for years just wearing the same IDPA gear with some additional mags.  I shoot Production / SSP so there's no real difference (at least before they agreed you could shoot a pistol in production weighing ~ 90 lbs if desired.

lol 90 lbs 🤣😂

33 minutes ago, SGT_Schultz said:

Nevertheless, it is what I have observed where I shoot.

I should have elaborated.  Sure, I've seen newbies and Marksmen doing that stuff, but to say the vast majority of IDPA shooters do all that is completely inaccurate in my experience, recent and past.  I don't always buy the "IDPA Master = USPSA B class."  This is probably often the case, but sometimes it's not.  I came from IDPA as a 2 gun Master (not the top tier type), but initially classified as an A with my IDPA gun.  On the other hand, I know several USPSA A and B shooters who classified as Sharpshooter or even Marksman when they tried IDPA.  Their problems mostly had to do with accuracy and when they realized how expensive IDPA Charlies are now, they improved.  

10 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

@deerslayer just won 2nd overall and high A in Limited at the TN Section match here in September of 2020, and has a pretty thick collection of SSP State Champion plaques from back before we both switched over to USPSA.

Short of Bob Vogel or Mike Seeklander dropping by to post on Enos, I know who I’d listen to most closely in this thread.

A lot of guys like to bash IDPA pretty hard, when it’s really just a different sport entirely.

Haha, thanks for the kind words.  Yah I would defer to folks like Vogel and Seeklander.  

48 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

I should have elaborated.  Sure, I've seen newbies and Marksmen doing that stuff, but to say the vast majority of IDPA shooters do all that is completely inaccurate in my experience, recent and past.  I don't always buy the "IDPA Master = USPSA B class."  This is probably often the case, but sometimes it's not.  I came from IDPA as a 2 gun Master (not the top tier type), but initially classified as an A with my IDPA gun.  On the other hand, I know several USPSA A and B shooters who classified as Sharpshooter or even Marksman when they tried IDPA.  Their problems mostly had to do with accuracy and when they realized how expensive IDPA Charlies are now, they improved.  

You are describing me perfectly.  I was an 83% Limited shooter not long ago and have yet to make Master in IDPA, even with some decent effort.  I really have not dry fired since Jake was born in 2013, but I'm getting that going again to make a run at SSP.  The best thing about IDPA around here, is that you can shoot night matches, during the week.  I try not to shoot on the weekends if it's a Jake weekend......

20 hours ago, deerslayer said:

Sounds like your are has more talent/more active IDPA clubs than here.  I have seen a decline since the first time I shot IDPA in 2007 or so.

What I've seen is USPSA shooters who give IDPA a try have more trouble with procedurals then with accuracy. This was before IDPA went to faultlines but you still have target priority and reloads for people first trying IDPA. 

On 10/1/2020 at 10:24 PM, RangerTrace said:

You are describing me perfectly.  I was an 83% Limited shooter not long ago and have yet to make Master in IDPA, even with some decent effort.  I really have not dry fired since Jake was born in 2013, but I'm getting that going again to make a run at SSP.  The best thing about IDPA around here, is that you can shoot night matches, during the week.  I try not to shoot on the weekends if it's a Jake weekend......

thats kinda where i am. 84.3% in CO and just had a kid 4 weeks ago. I did manage to get MA in IDPA CO first time i tried. 

On 10/2/2020 at 6:12 PM, MHicks said:

What I've seen is USPSA shooters who give IDPA a try have more trouble with procedurals then with accuracy. This was before IDPA went to faultlines but you still have target priority and reloads for people first trying IDPA. 

That's my experience as well. I usually have the fastest raw time at my local matches but all the dang procedurals add up! Usually anytime us USPSA guys show up to an IDPA match, we walk away with them....usually

I Do Procedurals Always = me uspsa shooter 

thought that's what the IDPA acronym meant 

Like the folks a lot at my two local clubs so started shooting it again after about a 10 year layoff.

Like the fault lines

Still get procedurals 

A class uspsa shooter now shooting B level, old, fat and knee surgery!!! LOL