Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help speeding up RCBS Chargemaster for pistol loads

mpmo

Anyone out there using a chargemaster to do pistol loads?  I was hoping to use this for my workflow when I am loading test rounds but it is taking way too long to dispense the load range I'm working with.  Anywhere from 3.0-3.8gn of V320.  Above 3.7, I can get it to dispense in around 22seconds, which even that is way longer than I was hoping for.  But if I do something like 3.3, it takes 60-70seconds!  

I have added the straw mod and I have changed the default speed change times, going to extremes. I tried Going from 3,2,1 all the way down to .5, .1, .02.  Even at that it is still taking a solid minute to dispense.  Part of what I can tell is that at the lower charges, it never spins up to full speed.  Larger loads are much faster.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Edited by mpmo

The last time i weighed each charge i used a lee scoop . Maybe a scoop dropped then let the rcbs take over.

With that said now i do test loads like I AM going to load. That way any veration in how the powder drops etc comes into play.

8 hours ago, mpmo said:

Anyone out there using a chargemaster to do pistol loads?  I was hoping to use this for my workflow when I am loading test rounds but it is taking way too long to dispense the load range I'm working with.  Anywhere from 3.0-3.8gn of V320.  Above 3.7, I can get it to dispense in around 22seconds, which even that is way longer than I was hoping for.  But if I do something like 3.3, it takes 60-70seconds!  

I have added the straw mod and I have changed the default speed change times, going to extremes. I tried Going from 3,2,1 all the way down to .5, .1, .02.  Even at that it is still taking a solid minute to dispense.  Part of what I can tell is that at the lower charges, it never spins up to full speed.  Larger loads are much faster.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

No. The Lyman works the same. I do spot check occasionally, but it always stays to spec

Edited by Bobkoh

Do you really need a charge master to do pistol loads?  Depending on the powder, the normal variation is .01gr on my Dillon.  Are you doing some sort of ultra precise pistol competition?  Even if your developing loads, the charge master is not needed.  22 seconds to dispense one load is ridiculous for USPSA/IDPA loads.

On 9/27/2020 at 6:52 PM, mpmo said:

Above 3.7, I can get it to dispense in around 22seconds, which even that is way longer than I was hoping for.  But if I do something like 3.3, it takes 60-70seconds!  

22 seconds sounds about right for a 3.7gr charge.    But I can't explain why going a half grain lower would take 3 times longer. You need to contact customer service for that answer.

As you discovered, heavier charges dispense quicker than smaller charges...(which sounds backwards).   And you've already reprogrammed the unit and did the straw mod so a phone call to RCBS should probably be your next step. 
Their newest powder dispenser is called the MatchMaster.  Ultimate Reloader did a review including dispensing test times for Bullseye. 
https://ultimatereloader.com/2019/11/08/tested-new-rcbs-matchmaster-powder-dispenser/

Let’s be honest, precision in pistol loads for USPSA is only needed at the “adequate “ level. Look through the SDs posted here on the forum and you’ll see what most people are getting.

However, if you want to drop very single one the Lee Perfect Measure for around $30 is a bargain and very adequate in accuracy. 
https://leeprecision.com/perfect-powder-measure.html

I think what most of us do is use the measure from the press we are loading on and run a 10 drop average to come up with the load for testing. 

BTW, the Lee product above has served my rifle needs and given me very adequate groups at 100+ yards shooting, 30-06 and 30-30.

Cheap and fast.

Edited by HesedTech