Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Czechmate mags nose diving

GraveyMaker

So I have been having a few of my mags have nosediving issues for my czechmate. It's 2 of my 140s and my big stick. I put grams spring and followers in all of my mags. It seems to have fixed my big stick, but made my 140s worse. When the Follower gets close to the transition to single stack it freezes in the mag, causing no spring pressure. I tried contacting grams 2 weeks ago to send my mags in for tuning but have not had any response to emails or phone calls. Is he still open? Or does anyone know any alternatives to send them into?

I also thought of maybe trying to sand down the corners of the followers if there are any burrs, but I do not want to ruin them.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 5ef6394b336aee97a8be45173643df89.jpg

CZ Master Race

I fixed the nosediving issues on my 140 and big stick using the info from Aandaboks. I’m also using grams spring and followers on the 140 while the big stick has CZC spring and follower combo.

Here are the measurements: 

- For the control rib: 0.735” just above the mag catch hole

- Feed lips: 0.365” in the rear, 0.375” in the front

I used a piece of dowel on each side of the mag to pinch them into the measurements above. So far, everything has been working properly. 

1 minute ago, GraveyMaker said:

Can you share a link to Aandabooks guide? I haven't been able to find a clear guide.

CZ Master Race

It’s this info in my previous post.

Here are the measurements: 

you can also use this pliers to pinch the mags.

81287_2000x2000.jpg

I have found round nose bullets to be substantially more reliable in my Czechmate than JHPs. Even after tuning my mags I would get occasional nose dives from the first couple rounds in my big sticks.

I also use the OEM followers because they seem to keep the stack aligned better as it crosses the border between the mag body and extension. I found I got 29 rounds in my 170s either way just with a little extra play, and I could squeeze 24 in with the CZC/Grams followers but it wasn't reloadable so I'd be loading them with 23 either way. 

My CzechMate (and Tactical Sports) tended to experience frequent nosedives when I reversed their mag release buttons (am a lefty shooter). The magazines stuck out more (as evidenced by the IPSC Standard Division measuring box) and the rounds would have a problem making it up the ramp. The problems kindly went away when the buttons went back on the left side where the Koucký brothers intended them to be.

my big sticks eventually started nose diving, sent them to Bevin Grams and they've been 29 round reloadable with good nose pressure since. He said after reshaping he makes a new follower for them as his standard one doesn't make it to the top anymore.

I had the same problem with my Czechmate mags, tuning the mags will fix then temporarily. Unfortunately when they get dropped on the ground with rounds in them the tuning goes out the window. The real problem is that the CZ mags are flimsy compared to 2011 STI,SVI or MBX mags. You can drop those on the ground way more times than the Czechmate mags before they need retuned, like 30 or more matches worth, verses maybe 5 or 10 for the CZ. 

On 9/26/2020 at 6:50 PM, George16 said:

It’s this info in my previous post.

Here are the measurements: 

you can also use this pliers to pinch the mags.

81287_2000x2000.jpg

Are the control rib measurements inside the mag or outside the mag?

11 hours ago, MrPostman said:

I had the same problem with my Czechmate mags, tuning the mags will fix then temporarily. Unfortunately when they get dropped on the ground with rounds in them the tuning goes out the window. The real problem is that the CZ mags are flimsy compared to 2011 STI,SVI or MBX mags. You can drop those on the ground way more times than the Czechmate mags before they need retuned, like 30 or more matches worth, verses maybe 5 or 10 for the CZ. 

I've literally dropped the same six TSO mags on the ground for three years straight without ever cleaning them. In comparison, the guys I shoot with that run the 2011 platforms scrub out their mag tubes after every stage. 

1 hour ago, 858 said:

I've literally dropped the same six TSO mags on the ground for three years straight without ever cleaning them. In comparison, the guys I shoot with that run the 2011 platforms scrub out their mag tubes after every stage. 

Are you running a .40? Because that has not been my experience with the 9mm mags that came with the Czechmate, especially the big stick.

1 hour ago, MrPostman said:

Are you running a .40? Because that has not been my experience with the 9mm mags that came with the Czechmate, especially the big stick.

I have both .40 an 9mm mags. The six mags I specifically mentioned are 40 but there is no difference in construction between 40 and 9mm TS/CM mags. A loaded 9mm magazine weights pretty close to the same as a loaded 40 magazine. My 9mm TS mags have also been dropped loaded unmercifully right into the dirt and never cleaned. 

I have a Czechmate sitting in front of me with "magazine problems". What do you think the odds are that more than 10 magazines all have have fitment problems? My 9mm TS/CM magazines that function perfectly in my TSO measure exactly the same as the nonfunctioning CM magazines. I'm going to go out on a limb and say I don't think it is a magazine issue at all.

That may be possible, but my experience is different from yours. I would set the feedlips on my mags before a match and when I checked them afterwards the settings had drifted. Now that may be from them being loaded to the max during the match as well as them being dropped on the ground, but fact is that the mags are made with much thinner metal than a 2011 style mag. Having owned both types of guns, and having tuned magazines on both I can say that the thicker steel construction of the 2011 mags are superior at holding a tune.  Running a brush through mag tubes that hit the ground after a stage is a good idea from a reliability standpoint no matter what brand you shoot.  

Sample size of one but my buddy's almost new (500'ish rounds) CM had feedway stoppages. I took my 9mm mags and his mags and loaded ammo for it. I ran 14 different mags; three big sticks and 11 standard mags, all untuned. The mags ranged from completely stock to OE tube with CZC spring, follower, and extension. 135gr Round nose coated lead minor loads fed 100% from all mags. 115gr Round nose FMJ minor cycled 100% from all mags. 115gr Round nose FMJ major cycled 100% from all mags. 124gr HP major had feedway stoppages. All ammo was loaded to 1.1". I threw some of the magazines in the dirt for good measure, no change. I measured half of the mags and they're all pretty close in dimension, nothing crazy.

I'm probably going to adjust one of the magazine to the dimensions discussed above just to see if I can get the HP to function. I experienced the same feedway stoppages in my 9mm TSO barrel with round nose loaded to 1.150", shortening the COAL to 1.1" resolved the feeding issues. My friend's ammo experiencing the stoppages was loaded to 1.125".

Again, sample size of one but...

Edited by 858

• 3 weeks later...

Follow up:

I adjusted four standard mags and a big stick, all with CZC internals, to the dimensions provided by George. They feed 124gr HP loaded to 1.130. The barrel's throat is too short for 1.150 but I'm certain it would feed too. I'll run these mags for a while and see if they change at all.

• 1 year later...
12 hours ago, ncox38 said:

It’s been a while since I looked on YouTube, but this is the closest I was able to find.

That’s my video. I’ve had a lot of requests to do a mag tuning one. I have three new magazine bodies and have a few new extensions on the way from Springer Precision; I plan to make a video in the next couple weeks once I have them. Could be as early as next weekend if the SP parts arrive this week. 

Edited by regor