Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Green horn multi layered onion question- fire away!

First of all hello-  I am a mid life whole life gun nut who has been shooting since before it was probably advisable in the 70s. I have also been reloading as a form of punishment/discipline from a full bird father for the better part of my childhood. I have that damn Pacific 12g reloader down in my basement now and am pretty proficient at that form of reloading. I know my recipes and am pretty detail oriented. I have done my research and think I know what I want. I just wanted to ping it off of the wise old sages here and have them tell me their thoughts- even if rude. I deserve it. The rebirth of my interest in reloading torture has come from my son being 14 and interested in shooting on a regular basis. We're out in the sticks and blow through a few more rounds than average. I am thinking I am going to get a Dillon 650, Dillon 750 or a Lee and jump in right in the middle of possibly the worst time EVER to start reloading. Talk me out of it. Or, get a running start, kick me in the nuts, and give me some guidance as to how to jump into the ill advised side hobby. Thanks in advance- maybe

Dillon will stand the test of time and has excellent support from the vendor. If you are going to make the leap, the Dillon will serve you better. You may get a better price on a 650 these day’s, although it or the 750 will do you right.

I have 2 650’s and no desire to move to the 750 model. One has been in service about 2 decades while the other is quite a bit newer.

Getting set up is costly, but the biggest issue is obtaining components.

Thanks for the replies gents.  

Since my unplanned foray into the world of 2011, I am mostly 9mm oriented. I will, however, plan to reload 45 and 223/308 as well. I do not mind spending on the front end for the swap parts. I am thinking a 650 to start if I can find one with all of the goodies. I don't mind earning my  way up if I want to go up the ladder. 

Right now the prices on used equipment aren’t worth it, so just go with new.

Dillon has some presses a available right now, the 550 for one.

If you buy the Lee progressive press eventually you will wish you had spent the money on a Dillon or Hornady. 

For indexed progressive get the Dillon 750. If you are reloading a lot of military crimped brass the 1050/1100 is the way to go because you will have to swage the primer pockets of these and there isn’t a good way to do that on a 550/650/750. And the aftermarket attachments will void your lifetime warranty (although Dillon never asks, they assume shooters are mostly honest).

It is never a bad time to start reloading your own ammo.

For dies the Dillon stuff really works well for most applications. Lee dies for the price, are also fine.  

I agree go 750, the 550 can be found cheaper. Also note that if you get a Dillon swagger, it has to be set up separately for swaging large and small primer pockets. I leave mine at large because of 7.62 brass and 9mm brass is plentiful. 

45acp? Still use my 40+ year old Star. 

Thanks guys. I know a guy who might sell me his 750, but I'm not that confident it will happen. I want to get rolling with a platform so I can find out what I need. I really don't want the thing to do everything for me- it kind of takes the fun away. 

Some thoughts 

550 - rounds per hour = 400 at leisure pace - 500-600 an hour full blown act like you want to win the race 

650 or 750 with case feeder = 500-600 an hour if there are no bobbles, 800 if you cranking

550 is a little cheaper to get the caliber conversions done

I Find it's easier to load rifle on the 550 but that's one mans opinion

Question for you is how much ammo vs time you want, need or desire.

I can load enough for the wife and I in a couple of hours for the week so I own 550's 

and sold off the 650's.  Again one mans opinion

Good fortune and buy a Blue machine

I am glad I asked. Thanks guys. I am thinking I'll just try to find an RL550c to start. I'm in no reloading race. And the simplicity of the 550 might be a little easier to teach the boy---- after I learn. I am going to keep it simple and cut my teeth on reloading 9 to start. Once I find my favorite recipe, I'll branch out. 

10 hours ago, kuletchi1 said:

I'd get the 750 instead of the 650 only because of the primer loading part

I'd get the 650 instead of the 750 for the exact same reason.

Edited by 4n2t0

I have loaded single stage since 1978. I also jumped in to progressive loading during A shortage (Sandy Hook)and bought a new 650 which was the easy part. 

Still have it and only use it for 9mm but picked up a pretty good deal on a 550 a while back and found it to be perfect for the moderate volume cartridges 40/10mm 6.5 Creedmoor/ 308 etc.

Switching calibers and primers is quicker and cheaper and it’s a little more forgiving to learn on IMO.

take a deep breath and let it go slowly...

buy ammo right now if you can find it, and as the 'shortage' of components extends into the near future...

hunt for bargains on reloading gear.   right now, a lot of items I want are on back order.

I would find a dillon  750... because I think the primer handling is an improvement over the 650

I picked a 650 as my press...  I still have the lee turret press that began my reloading 9mm efforts.

you are unlikely to be able to reload without good luck or paying dearly for about a year.

while you are waiting, consider swaging and brass case collecting.

victor

Booooooooooooo for logic. Calm and rational thought can be bad for your affliction. 

Really though- I am wondering if I just piece it together over the long haul buying deals up when they come. I have ammo for a while. I won't need brass.

I got into reloading this past year on a 550 and it's been good enough for me. Plan was to cut my teeth on 9mm (at the time it was still cheap) and move on from there to 40, 380, 223. I've loaded nealy 1k rounds now and it's been a learning experience for sure. Eventually I plan to get a bigger press as components become available again and I can go back to shooting more. My plan has been to get a 550 and an Evo/1100 for my large run calibers as well as the swage option.

I would suggest getting some books now and watching some videos. If you have brass, you could start cleaning that and getting it ready to load. If you buy a press, you could always set up the dies without powder and primers and make some dummy rounds with just the brass and bullets to get used to the press. The. It's just adjusting the powder drop and you're good to go. If you don't have a bench yet. Once you get your press you can make some dummy rounds and figure out a good height that's comfortable for you and build your bench.

I doubt you'll get any deals on a used press and I believe Dillon is backordered for a while with the exception of probably the 550 as notes above. If you don't shoot much or shoot a lot of different calibers, a 550 I great. I had a matches yesterday and loaded 200 rounds Friday night in about 30 minutes. Could have gone faster but my reloading area was a mess and it slowed me down a bit looking for stuff.

(Ignoring pandemic shortages)

If you truly plan to load all of the calibers you listed, a 550 is best for the casual shooter. The kind of guy who will buy the amount of components he needs and load a few hundred to a thousand each of .45, rifle calibers, and his match ammo... then repeat a few weeks later. This guy is pretty common.

A 750 is more suited to the kind of guy who will spend a thousand or so on components up front, and load several thousand of each caliber between caliber changes on the press. (This guy is not that common, but most will THINK they’ll be this guy before we begin reloading and the reality of spending a ton of money on bulk components up front is faced, financially.)

Personally, all my competiton guns are porduction/CO/PCC and they are all obviously 9mm. My defensive guns are 9mm too.

I load on a 1050 and maintain a two year stockpile of components at all times - now that I’m sitting on 30k or so primers when this shortage hit, you see why. ;) 

5.56, .308, 12ga and other calibers? I shoot them seldom, and casually. I buy that ammo rather than tear my machine down. On a 1050 it is a FULL lengthy teardown to go from 9mm to 5.56.

If I shot multiple calibers more often, I’d do what my friends do. Keep a never-swapped 650/750/1050 ready for my high volume competition load, and buy a 550 for small volumes of various other calibers, because it swaps from caliber to caliber very quickly.

The insanity has started. I blame you guys. I ordered a 550c and some extra stuff. Tell me I'm wrong with this stuff. 

550c with strong mount and trays set up for 9mm

Lee carbide 9mm die set

Arsenal platinum scale

Lyman's 50th reloading book

L E Wilson gauge

Junky primer flip tray

VV N320 powder

That is all I can think of right now.  I need 124 grain bullets and primers. Thinking of loading a 124 grain FMJ not super hot or anything.

As I mentioned above I jumped in due to necessity ( started 3 Gun) during a shortage. What I did was to order 500 bullets from as many bullet makers as possible just to get stuff coming eventually. 

Black Bullets got me projectiles first and over time the remaining orders slowly trickled in. It let me try different brands along with throwing the widest net for supply. 

Big thanks to KSshorthair, pretty much the question I was going to ask.  Was concerned since I figured this had been covered

many times. 

My question would be the difference between the 650 and 750, but the Dillon site doesn't seem to have the 650 listed so maybe a moot point.

Thanks again for helping KSshorthair out and subsequently me.  I'll start looking for components etc. 

Now time to start searching the threads for case prep (ie tumblers and media) along with starting points for loading.

Ray

hi Rainman901,

I understand the 650 was discontinued and the 750 is the replacement.

the two are similar in cost.

From what I could tell, the 750 has a different priming system. and it does look like a better way to handle the primers.

it should be easier to change from small to large primer also.

there are some changes to at least the indexing wear point and a press return spring.

I do not know if the shell plates or tool heads are interchangeable.

I would think they can from appearances.

The press casting/body is a little different.   I suspect Dillon wanted more rigidity...

I want to say the 750 is an improved 650...

I do not feel the need to sell my 650 to get the 750.

I would get the 750 over the 650 if I had a choice.

miranda