Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR22

Texaspaul

I use my AR-22 sometimes in SC. It was built a few years ago. Taccom alloy sleeved barrel, Taccom conversion kit for the CMMG AR kit, Taccom titanium FP, A-P upper w/o AR Parts kit, PSA lower w/Timney trigger, Taccom carbon fiber pencil stock shortened, Umbrella/B5 grip, C-More Red dot, BDM mags. Weighs a little over 3 lbs like 3.25. No handguard just neoprene bike grip on barrel.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Do you feel the action is slower than a 10/22? Are there more reliability issues with the AR platform over a 10/22?  I like the feel of the AR platform better than the 10/22 stocks I have, a Blackhawk and PMACA multi.  I grip over the barrel - I feel a more relaxed movement for me and works with slim AR handguards

I have a cmmg 4.5" barrel with Taccom shroud. Cmmg bolt carrier group . Gun weighs 4.25# and runs 100%. I like it better than my Volqartsen Ultralight with Modshot chassis even though it's 3/4# heavier.

CMMG kit

pencil barrel with gas hole plugged

Timney trigger

Taccom CF handguard

Taccom CF pencil stock

Just like every other .22 I've owned, once I find the ammo that runs best in that gun, I stick to it. 

Federal automatch runs in mine. 

3 hours ago, Texaspaul said:

Do you feel the action is slower than a 10/22? Are there more reliability issues with the AR platform over a 10/22?  I like the feel of the AR platform better than the 10/22 stocks I have, a Blackhawk and PMACA multi.  I grip over the barrel - I feel a more relaxed movement for me and works with slim AR handguards

The trigger reset is quicker and shorter on the 10/22.  It's also less than $100 to put a 1.5lb Kidd drop-in single stage trigger.

I started SC with a 10.5 CMMG barrel and collar bolt, RRA NM trigger and Black Dog stainless feed lip magazines... CCI Blazer and SOPMOD style cheek rest stock and Hogue grip.... on my  registered SBR AR receiver.... I currently use a BRN22 integral rail receiver and barrel in a PMACA light weight chassis, SOPMOD cheek rest Hogue grip, angled fore grip, BX trigger and Ruger bolt and charge handle... the Venom will be replaced when the Holosun 510 c arrives... it is light weight in the nose and swings better for me

image.thumb.jpeg.1c668d4f9f65803e25ec48312014d4c3.jpeg

Edited by Les Snyder

On 9/26/2020 at 8:20 PM, Ming the Merciless said:

The trigger reset is quicker and shorter on the 10/22.  It's also less than $100 to put a 1.5lb Kidd drop-in single stage trigger.

Where are you getting a 1.5 Kid single stage drop-in trigger for $100?!  TELL ME PLEASE!

8 hours ago, Thomas H said:

Where are you getting a 1.5 Kid single stage drop-in trigger for $100?!  TELL ME PLEASE!

The trigger parts without the housing is $105 with a discount if you buy 2. $90 each if you buy 2.

https://www.kiddinnovativedesign.com/KIDD-Trigger-Job-Kit-with-Hammer-Sear-Disconnect-and-Trigger-blade_p_116.html

Edited by Gregg K

On 10/3/2020 at 1:04 AM, Ming the Merciless said:

Kidd occasionally has sales, and discount codes as well as the quantity pricing.

Yes, but I've never seen a $235 trigger for $100, no matter the sale or discount code.  (A 57% off sale?  That would be awesome from my perspective, but probably a bad business decision on his part.  :) )

On 10/2/2020 at 8:45 PM, Gregg K said:

The trigger parts without the housing is $105 with a discount if you buy 2. $90 each if you buy 2.

https://www.kiddinnovativedesign.com/KIDD-Trigger-Job-Kit-with-Hammer-Sear-Disconnect-and-Trigger-blade_p_116.html

So if you buy just the hammer, sear, trigger blade, and disconnect, and install them yourself (and your housing geometry matches the expected housing dimensions perfectly for optimum results, which we know it won't with the standard housings since they are good, but not perfect), without the auto bolt release and the ability to change the trigger weight, without the springs or the mag latch......

....not exactly talking about the same thing here.  :)

That's still a useful link, and I appreciate it, though.

I am using a stock Del-Ton ECHO 316H with CMMG conversion w/Vortex StrikeFire II.  Using CCI AR Tactical ammo the gun has been nearly flawless.  I think I have only had one malfunction in 4 matches.  I know the last two matches of 11 stages have been completely flawless.  I can only remember ever pulling the charge handle once in a string in a match.  Practice with various other types of ammo is a crap shoot however.

NOTE: I did replace the 9" hand guard with a 12"  Also has an SJC Titan Comp/Brake on it.

2020-10-06.jpg

4 hours ago, Thomas H said:

Yes, but I've never seen a $235 trigger for $100, no matter the sale or discount code.  (A 57% off sale?  That would be awesome from my perspective, but probably a bad business decision on his part.  :) )

So if you buy just the hammer, sear, trigger blade, and disconnect, and install them yourself (and your housing geometry matches the expected housing dimensions perfectly for optimum results, which we know it won't with the standard housings since they are good, but not perfect), without the auto bolt release and the ability to change the trigger weight, without the springs or the mag latch......

Plus Kidd will only guaranty that their parts kit will work if you install it in a factory polymer housing. They will tell you that if any of their parts don't work in your gun it's because your gun is crap. They told me they would have a Fathers Day sale but when Fathers day got here they changed their mind. They usually have a Black Friday sale so maybe they will have one this year and put it on sale for what it was running last year before the increase. Or not. 😞

11 hours ago, Thomas H said:

I have two 10/22's, one built on a Tactical Solutions receiver and one built on a Ruger receiver that have the full Kidd trigger w/housing, I think I paid $199.99 each for them in 2017 when I bought 2.  I have 4 other 10/22's built on various receivers with 3 aftermarket aluminum trigger housings and one with the factory plastic housing that have the Kidd 'trigger job' kit installed.  They all dropped in with no problems and feel exactly like the full Kidd trigger w/housing, the only way to tell them apart is by the color of the trigger housing.  Trigger pull weight on all of them is right at 1.5 lbs.  I used the aftermarket trigger housings and the Kidd 'trigger job' kits because I installed the CST last round bolt hold open kits with the CST (Power Custom) bolt.  The Kidd trigger housing has a pinned ejector that prevents installing the Gen 2 CST bolt hold open kit which negates the need for the auto bolt release. and I like the Tactical Solutions mag latch better than the two piece Kidd.  The bolt hold open kit works very well, my wife hated trying to lock the bolt back and my nieces and nephews just couldn't get the knack either.  The Gen 2 bolt hold open works great for them and functions with the stock magazine.

Nolan

Edited by Nolan

• 1 month later...

I have an old Spikes tactical .22 upper that I got about 10 years ago but recently the bolt spring broke when I was practicing. I've been shooting a 10/22 in steel matches for several years.  What is the best  .22 AR upper currently available? It looks like the Nordic upper is hard to find right now.  

• 2 weeks later...

I tired out a conversion and had issues with it.  The best AR .22 on the market from what I have seen is the JP.  I tested the unicorn for a few thousand rounds and ran like a dream.  Only maintenance was to run a bore snake every 1k rounds of it needed it or not and a little oil.  The ultralight weight barrel was the game changer for them.